Is it OK to weld on my car?

vintage red matthew

TDI
2004 New Beetle
I have, in the past always been told that if you need to weld with an electric welder on a car you should remove the cable from the negative battery terminal to protect, primarily the diodes in the alternator. That was many years ago and the electrical systems in cars are much more complicated and sensitive, not to mention expensive. Can I safely use a mig welder on the body of my car if I unhook the battery? Would it help if I removed both battery cables? Thanks.

mr.loops

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 jetta, 2003 Bora 1.8T
Removing the ground cable from the battery and insuring that your MIG ground strap is close to your work area you will be fine

Some will go as far as to unplug the harness to the ECU before welding on the car

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
I've welded on my mk4 with the battery still hooked up
I've killed a durango with the negative unhooked

to be real safe unhook the negative cable and plop it onto the positive cable to make sure stuff stays well grounded by all possible avenues

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
i welded on my mk6 tdi with no ill affects. just ground close to what your welding.

iamatt

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta 6 Speed manual
I welded on my mk6 and yeah ground as close as possible. No problems for me. Good luck.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
My son had welding done to the exhaust pipe down from the flex joint on his 2000 Jetta TDI last week without disconnecting anything ...... car starts and runs fine!

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
as long as the grounds are disconected on the harness and the battery AND you UNPLUG the ECU, yes you should be fine