Loss of power but not limp mode ?

samistheman

TDI
2003 Jetta tdi
So I have a 2001 Jetta tdi. It seems to lose power every once and I while but from what I’ve read it doesn’t seem like limp mode. I’m still able to accelerate and keep a steady 110 kmh but accelerating is just slow and not as much power as it was before. If I shut the car off it’s fine again for a little bit. I did just replace the turbo actuator and unstuck the turbo vanes as they were stuck too. When I did this I noticed a big increase in power. I however did not take the turbo apart and clean it. But it seemed to work awesome anyways. So I just want to know what could be causing this problem. I hooked a code reader up to it but the only thing that comes up is the code for the egr delete. If you guys need any more information to help me just ask, thanks again!

STDOUBT

Veteran Member
TDI
dos jettas
How long between But it seemed to work awesome anyways.
and lose power every once and I while ?
It could be that your vanes are still just dirty?
How is your MPG? Is your intake manifold clean? All vacuum lines goot-n-tight?

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
accelerating is just slow and not as much power as it was before. If I shut the car off it’s fine again for a little bit.
The good news is that that's pretty much the classic definition of "limp mode": a low power condition that resolves itself if you toggle the power. :)

In my sig there's a link to an excellent step-by-step for tracking this down scientifically.

samistheman

TDI
2003 Jetta tdi
Thanks for the reply guys, got a nicer code reader plugged in and a code came up for over boost. So it must’ve been in limp mode. I do have bigger injectors and 11mm injection pump and I also tightened the actuator a little bit so makes sense I was over boosting i guess