EPA Permits Sale of Inventoried TDIs

ntwrkd

TDI
2015 Jetta TDI 6spd SEL
No one mentioned the 162k mile warranty....

Will it be offered? (I think it must be as part of the settlement?).
A huge perk if it's being offered.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
One thing to consider about the '15s, and that is I'm betting you'll never see another "new" manual transmission diesel in North America.
I thought the new Chevy Cruze hatch was going to be available in a manual trans..

Edit- It looks like the '17 cruze diesel sedans are also available in a manual.

Last edited:

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Little confused as to why all the posts about WAG. Are people really upset about wild ass guesses or do they mean VWAG?

I would consider a 15 GSW without a hole in the roof but not sure my wife will agree.

rotarykid

Top Post Dawg
Piedmont of N.C. & the plains of Colorado
TDI
1997 Passat TDI White,99.5 Blue Jetta TDI
I don't think VW delivered any new "'06" model year cars to dealers after calendar year 2006.

I think they legally had to have been assembled in the 2006 calendar year. It is true, however, that some of the Diesel Edition cars have VINs that indicate they are '07s.

But VW didn't have any diesels to sell in '08, unless a dealer or two had a random leftover. Which I doubt.

One thing to consider about the '15s, and that is I'm betting you'll never see another "new" manual transmission diesel in North America.
Actually they did deliver diesel editions all throughout the 2007, I saw on two occasions in 07 truck loads of these cars being unloaded.(in spring & October 07....).....

The diesel editions were built all the way up to midnight 2006 just enough to qualify as that model year, then over the next couple of months assembly was finished on many of these. I know for a fact they were still assembling the the partially built 06 model year diesel editions into the summer of 2007.....

I was in all three Denver metro dealers and one in Co Springs in March/April 08 which all had at least three new Diesel Editions on their lot for sale asking sticker...I suspect this was case in many other parts of the US at this time also...

rotarykid

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I just talked to my parts dealer who told me VW took their cars back recently. And that they were just told that when they can begin to start to sell them again they will be delivered back to the dealer ready to immediately go on sale....

I was also told that they expect to get the cars back they turned in along with some more cars that some dealers did not want if they request them based on previous sales numbers of TDIs before the stop sale....

No data or word was given on when this will happen but from previous experience with VW it could happen anytime....More than once over the years I saw new diesel cars unloaded onto the lot that the salesmen had no idea were there.....

Talked to another dealer in the area who told me VW offered to either take them back and re-deliver repaired cars when they could go back on sale....Or they could keep the cars they had then carry out any recall repairs when approval comes down....

This dealer told me they had two Passat TDI man trans cars on their lot right now:)....me want.....they also had man trans versions of Jetta, Golf, NB & Sportwagon TDIs .....along with a couple of automatic NB TDI convertables....

They have around ~40 TDIs cars of all varieties they can't wait to be able to sell again....

I was also told that all of the US dealer owners are currently meeting in Vagas right now to get info on when they could start to sell re-certified cars again....

Mythdoc

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Touareg, 2015 Q5, 2015 Golf
My dealer in Knoxville sold 30% TDI's before the stop sale, so it will be interesting to see whether they are involved in this new activity.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
I don't think VW delivered any new "'06" model year cars to dealers after calendar year 2006. I think they legally had to have been assembled in the 2006 calendar year. It is true, however, that some of the Diesel Edition cars have VINs that indicate they are '07s. But VW didn't have any diesels to sell in '08, unless a dealer or two had a random leftover. Which I doubt.

There were 2007 and 2008 model year V10s available, but no 4-cylinders. That's the only exception that I'm aware of.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Sorry, I was thinking of "A" platform, or 4 cylinder TDIs, the "diesel editions" rotarykid mentioned in the preceding post.

marcusku

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf Sportwagen, 15', red
I wonder what happened to the 16's that were built, are they already shipped back out of the country? They were technically built in 15' but I'm guessing they wouldn't be able to get away with selling them as a model year 15'.

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
I wonder what happened to the 16's that were built, are they already shipped back out of the country? They were technically built in 15' but I'm guessing they wouldn't be able to get away with selling them as a model year 15'.
Last I remember, VW withdrew the paperwork to have them approved for sale.

rotarykid

Top Post Dawg
TDI
There were 2007 and 2008 model year V10s available, but no 4-cylinders. That's the only exception that I'm aware of.
the V10 TDIs were sold in lower emissions loophole class vehicles...

But the 06 Jetta TDI-PDs Model Year emissions wise "Diesel Editions" were sold as the only VW auto class TDI from the beginning of the 20O7 model year in ~Sept. 06 throuh to spring 08.....

These 06 model year emissions wise Diesel Edition Jetta TDI-PDs were produced, were manufactured in just enough of the vehicle being built to qualify, only enough of these cars were built to qualify as an O6 model year car, emissions wise up to midnight new years eve 2006.....

Then these cars were put aside in the manufacturing plant (somewhere on the plants grounds) to finish the car manufacture over the next calander year(2007).

Many, if not not all of the O6 MY Diesel Editions that were from the start intended to be sold from 2007 & 2008 model year were then finished build wise throughout 2007. These 2006 MY emissions wise cars were 2007 PARTS WISE on every other part of the car were then delivered over the next year as they were from intention always intended to be the only 4 cyl TDI option available all the way up to spring 2008...

So when working on these the engine parts are from a 06 model year parts ben, while the rest of the car's parts are from the 2007 model year parts been. I have owned one of these so I do know that from own experience that interior & other parts when trying to get aftermarket parts should be looked up for replacement as a 07...

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
So when you run the VIN on one of these "06 emissions vehicles" does it come up as an '07 or later? I run a lot of VINs for customers and haven't seen a BRM come up as later than an '06 MY car.

marcusku

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf Sportwagen, 15', red
Last I remember, VW withdrew the paperwork to have them approved for sale.
This is true. I'm wondering it they would be able to sell them as a 15' similar to the discussion above since they were actually built in calendar year 15'. But maybe they are already gone?

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 VW Golf S DSG Silver
Gone. Shipped out. Where, I don't know. I've heard, South America, Africa.

The fewer units here, will add a little support to the resale value, of the one that are here:D

BTW, mine via KBB just took a little added value 5-6 days ago:)

NADA is much lower, but at least it is not dropping -- been the "same" value for about 4-5 months:eek:

Locoelectrician

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL, 2015 Golf SEL Sportwagen, 2005 Jetta TDI, John Deere 355D
I would assume the 2.o Audi TDIs are in the same boat, which Audi is the Passat equivalent? Do the Audi's generally follow the Volkswagen's in model hierarchy? As in Jetta = A3 or whatever? I know that was always the case with Toyota/Lexus. Honda/Acura, and Nissan/Infinity.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
No Audi uses the NMS Passat platform. Only current VW/Audi platform share that I can think of are the A3 with the Golf/GSW.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
I just spoke to the owner of our local dealer. He was in Vegas this week. A lot of the meeting was focused on the Atlas launch, but they did talk about TDIs, although not a lot of specifics were available.

What he did learn is that the unsold '15s will be made available for sale soon. They will only receive the first part of the fix (reflash) and have to come back in a year for the hardware fix. Dealers will also be able to retrieve '15s that were returned through their dealership for resale. There was talk of VW requiring a one-year lease on the unsold '15s to ensure they come back for the second part of the fix, but VW may be backing off that and allow them to be sold outright. VW Credit will also offer financing and leasing on the cars. No word on pricing yet, just talk of "substantial" discounts.

And despite saying I was over getting a '15, my dealer had a GSW manual S on the lot, so I reserved it. IBW has been so good to me that I felt I should grab one for round two.

Mythdoc

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Touareg, 2015 Q5, 2015 Golf
I just spoke to the owner of our local dealer. He was in Vegas this week. A lot of the meeting was focused on the Atlas launch, but they did talk about TDIs, although not a lot of specifics were available.

What he did learn is that the unsold '15s will be made available for sale soon. They will only receive the first part of the fix (reflash) and have to come back in a year for the hardware fix. Dealers will also be able to retrieve '15s that were returned through their dealership for resale. There was talk of VW requiring a one-year lease on the unsold '15s to ensure they come back for the second part of the fix, but VW may be backing off that and allow them to be sold outright. VW Credit will also offer financing and leasing on the cars. No word on pricing yet, just talk of "substantial" discounts.

And despite saying I was over getting a '15, my dealer had a GSW manual S on the lot, so I reserved it. IBW has been so good to me that I felt I should grab one for round two.
Haha! Congrats and good for you!

Locoelectrician

Veteran Member
TDI
Spoke with my dealer just now and contrary to what was posted above, he said the TDI questions were not answered in vegas. He did show me an internal document though that basically is telling them to service their entire 2015 TDI inventory, including new battery, brake fluid, new DPF, and tires for each car. His prediction is that the cars will all be offered on a one year closed end lease to buy VW Time.

I reserved a 2015 Red Passat SEL premium.

Last edited:

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Spoke with my dealer just now and contrary to what was posted above, he said the TDI questions were not answered in vegas. He did show me an internal document though that basically is telling them to service their entire 2015 TDI inventory, including new battery, brake fluid, new DPF, and tires for each car. His prediction is that the cars will all be offered on a one year closed end lease to buy VW Time.
I reserved a 2015 Red Passat SEL premium.
I think that must be new DEF, not DPF.

Locoelectrician

Veteran Member
TDI
Nope. New DPF. They said from sitting and only being started once a month, they needed to be replaced.