Here's your stripped car test case folks...

Status
Not open for further replies.

ericy

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI (wife's car)
I guess he is somewhere trying to put Humpty Dumpty back together again. He is out probably 12k but he was famous for a day.
To me this seemed like a highly likely outcome. I hope he kept all of the bolts and screws and knows where they all go.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
It'll be very interesting to see what comes of the discussions with the lawyers in the coming days. I fully expect VW to drag their feet on this - at the very least, it will deter others who have this same plan, resulting in more money for VW at the end of the day. If they flat-out accepted his car today, many others would be jumping on the stripper bandwagon.

scooperhsd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, RED(5 Speed conversion) 2015 Golf SE
It's one thing to turn in a car that has been in an accident - it's entirely different when the car presented is "stripped".

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Now he is complaining about how long he has waited already. What an idiot. He didn't see this coming?
That's what caught my attention as well. If he really wanted a quick, smooth buyback, then stripping the car bare was pretty moronic.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Now he is complaining about how long he has waited already. What an idiot. He didn't see this coming?
For sure, if he was in any sort of hurry, this stunt probably wasn't the best idea.

visortgw

Veteran Member
TDI
None: 2012 JSW with Sunroof (traded pre-scandal); 2014 JSW with Sunroof/Nav (early lease termination 12/17/2016)
It'll be very interesting to see what comes of the discussions with the lawyers in the coming days. I fully expect VW to drag their feet on this - at the very least, it will deter others who have this same plan, resulting in more money for VW at the end of the day. If they flat-out accepted his car today, many others would be jumping on the stripper bandwagon.
But now it is going to get interesting as VWGoA tries to redefine "Operable" from what is written in the court documents.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
But now it is going to get interesting as VWGoA tries to redefine "Operable" from what is written in the court documents.
Indeed. We'll see if a "spirit of the law" clause shows up somewhere.

visortgw

Veteran Member
TDI
None: 2012 JSW with Sunroof (traded pre-scandal); 2014 JSW with Sunroof/Nav (early lease termination 12/17/2016)
Indeed. We'll see if a "spirit of the law" clause shows up somewhere.
What's their allowed threshold? Severe body damage, OK? Remove the head unit, OK? No doors, rejected!

grawk

Veteran Member
TDI
'14 JSW TDI (used)
maybe "post on reddit" - rejected

I bet they delayed the buyback rather than rejecting it because they know he'd end up winning, and just want to get it less prominent before accepting it.

ericy

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI (wife's car)

I bet they delayed the buyback rather than rejecting it because they know he'd end up winning, and just want to get it less prominent before accepting it.
For all I know, they might just drag it out for a year and a half and then take the car. If they get to 85% without this car, are they even obligated to take it?

Had he not posted the thing on redditt, he might have been able to sneak the thing past.

But the point is really to dissuade anyone else from trying the same stunt.

k1xv

Veteran Member
TDI
09 TDI sedan, sold back 12/16. Present cars 2013 BMW X5 diesel, 2015 Corvette convertible
The relevant word needing clarification is not "operable". Rather, it is "vehicle", and how many and what parts can be removed before what is left is no longer a "vehicle".

Given that the public purpose of the settlement is to get the designated TDis off the road, a person who has rendered his machine unlicenseable for on road use has no "vehicle" to turn in.

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
What's their allowed threshold? Severe body damage, OK? Remove the head unit, OK? No doors, rejected!
If it were up to me (which it most certainly is not) ... Dents ... scrapes ... stuff there but not working ... not a problem. Intentionally stripped car ... problem. Basically the car would have to be roadworthy and substantially complete. And if the buyback value were contingent upon options (e.g. navigation), said options would have to be there. Not necessarily working, but there. Not there, then drop down to whatever the lower buyback is for a vehicle without that option.

atomicfront

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 VW Jetta wagon tdi

I doubt he wins. They told him To contact their attorneys if he had questions. He wanted to get some attention and he got it. Why he ever thought they would take his car in that condition is beyond me. If it had been in a crash it is one thing but to purposely destroy it is another. He is a complete idiot.

k1xv

Veteran Member
TDI
09 TDI sedan, sold back 12/16. Present cars 2013 BMW X5 diesel, 2015 Corvette convertible

End up winning where? At the turn in? There is no arbitrator at the turn in to resolve disputes. No, he would go to his appointment, they would say "no" to his tender of his "car". He would have no recourse at that appointment. If he refused to leave with his "car", they could call the cops to have him removed.

Maybe he should switch to "fix" and drive the car that way for two years while he waits for a fix to be developed.

fookin

Veteran Member
TDI
A3
The spirit of the buyback is to get the cars off the road and this jackass already did that by making it street illegal. His car is no longer a car. It's a shell. On the other hand, I'm glad he ran this test.

PacCoastFwy923

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE TDI 6-speed manual; 2006 mkV Jetta TDI / 5-speed / Pkg 2
It's just a little bit of NOx, which dissipates over night.
Yeah, dissipates into a pesky layer of smog; dissipates into your pink little lungs. . And then, once you're prematurely dead and buried from asthma or emphysema or whatever, it completes the cycle.

No need to defend VW hot sauce, NOx emissions aren't better than or worse than CO², they're bad in their own right.

visortgw

Veteran Member
TDI
VWGoA's response (so far):
"Volkswagen’s priority is to make the 2.0L TDI settlement process as seamless and convenient as possible for our affected customers and we are working hard to ensure that this is the case. The program is governed by specific eligibility guidelines and other conditions which were agreed by all the parties and approved by the Court.

Subject to regulatory approval of modifications that will allow vehicles to meet agreed emissions standards, the settlement allows Volkswagen to modify some of the vehicles we buy back so they can be returned to commerce rather than scrapped. The great majority of Volkswagen owners take very good care of their vehicles and are returning them for buyback intact.
"​
So... Is the requirement "operable" or "intact" ("Operable" is clearly defined in the settlement guidelines that are referenced)? I know that Joe has taken this to the extreme, but maybe VWGoA needs better lawyers writing and reviewing settlement guidelines. :rolleyes:

Throwback7r

Veteran Member
TDI
JSW
I hope he takes all the stuff and jams it in the back of the Golf with a made up Ikea-like manual and one of the stupid bent key things.

k1xv

Veteran Member
TDI
Maybe it could also use more customers who act in good faith.

speedrye

Veteran Member
TDI
13 JSW DSG, 14 JSW DSG
So, I have a pair of matching wagons with different color exteriors and interiors... I could make a mismatch of body panels and interior parts and still meet whatever new definition they come up with. If the guy had any sense, he would've just found someone with a matching car and mentality and done a part swap. Still a PITA for VW, but the resulting cars would be acceptable.

NRU73

Veteran Member
TDI
02 GOLF TDI Silver, 5 Speed
I'm confused how so many get bent out of shape trying to defend VW in the case of stripping the cars.

It's a case of morals. Technically what he did is no different than driving a jeep with the doors off which is not a ticketable offense in most states.

As long as it has all required lighting, mirrors, windshield and wipers it's a car.

VW is just dragging this out. Going by the Court Doc's, IMO, they've got no leg to stand on in this.

I'm not condoning this, but I'm not mad or angry at him either.

If anything it's funny to see him try and even funnier to see the angry posts about him here and on other media outlets.

visortgw

Veteran Member
TDI
So, I have a pair of matching wagons with different color exteriors and interiors... I could make a mismatch of body panels and interior parts and still meet whatever new definition they come up with. If the guy had any sense, he would've just found someone with a matching car and mentality and done a part swap. Still a PITA for VW, but the resulting cars would be acceptable.
Or, you could find many owners to do the same, and VWGoA could wind up with a new batch of Harlequins!

MonsterTDI09

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta DSG/ up keep on 2009 Jetta DSG 2006 Jetta Pag 2 in North SEA Green
We all knew someone would try this. It should be rejected.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Well this is good PR for VW that has been overshadowed by the 3.0L.

I wouldn't be surprised if some lawyer picks his case up and fights for him and gains some PR for it as well.

The amount of time spend going over the agreement, i'm shocked absolutely no one thought if this.

My thoughts maybe the judge will force VW hands to buy it back, they've already agreed to the cash of buying back the car so whats the harm?

Status
Not open for further replies.