How to do your buyback calculations (& post them here!)

GetMore

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Passat TDI, 2010 Jetta Sportwagen
2010 JSW, DSG, Pano, Nav
130,000 miles as of June
Total value as of June: $14,400, or $9,300 for the car.

Estimating 190,000 miles at December of 2018, the value would be $13,525. $8,425 for the car.

So, the extra mileage will cost me $875, for 60,000 miles and two and a half years. The actual number should be lower, because we cannot turn the cars in yet, so there will be additional mileage charges, even if I get rid of the car on the day they start.

Yankinwaoz

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SE
2012 Passat Sedan 4D SE TDI

2012 Passat Sedan 4D SE TDI, as sold in NADA region California.
With Nav
With Sunroof

Estimated miles: 100k in November 2016
Mileage Adjustment: -14588
Effective miles: 85412

Buyback Amount $20,027
Miles deduction $2,940
Total buyback $17,087

I also tried 130K in December 2017. That reduces the buyback by $1140 to $15947. That means another 17 months of usage will cost me about $67 a month. Well... that is cheaper than a new car payment.

mc4nam

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat Dsg
2013 Passat Sedan 4D SE TDI, as sold in NADA region Texas.
With Sunroof

Estimated miles: 28500 in October 2016
Mileage Adjustment: +3120
Effective miles: 14954

Buyback Amount $22,517
Miles addition $3120
Total buyback $26,417

I paid $25,800 for the car plus TTL and Interest paid on loan so far - Total cost is Approx $28,332

Take in consideration the $1000 Goodwill. Total cost to drive for 37 months would be $915!

At 800 miles per month, I am averaging about 740 per month now, my buyback total would be the same in December 2017.

The reasons I am 90% likely to turn in on day is:

1. Tires - My tires are basically squeaking in at buzzer. Replacement car will
have low mile or new tires.

2. Maintenance - All maintenance has been free so far but that ends at 30k maintenance. Anything else will cost me money. Most new or certified used cars come with at least 1 year of maintenance. (Soory I don't have the skills or tools to do it myself.

3. Warranty - Factory Warranty ends in September 2016. Replacement will have warranty of some type.

4. Fear of totaling - This is a slight fear but something that we all should consider.

starjays

TDI
2000 NB 5MT
Mine is a 2011 Jetta Sportwagen with DSG and a pano roof. I've got 51k on the clock.

Base buyback number: $19067
Pano roof adjustment: +540
Mileage adjustment: +2070

Total buyback number: $21677

I paid $17,500 in March of 2015. $1500 in tax last year, $300 this year. DSG service last summer, new tires last summer, total about $1200. Those items have ~10K miles on them.

The buyback works for me, I guess. Myself and everyone who's ever ridden in/driven the car has had nothing but great things to say about it.

It'll probably stay parked in the garage while I tool around in my '01 Toyota Avalon and '95 GMC half-ton until the buy it back.

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
This thread illustrates very well how complex any buyback calculation can be, depending on the individual case. With our car everything comes out about right. We're getting back nearly what we paid for the car, and our optimum turn-in date should be Summer '18, because our powertrain warranty should expire about then. We'll have to put tires on before then, and, yeah, there's some marginal risk of totalling the car, but those would be true if all this had never happened.
It's been a good reliable car and we like it, so there's no reason to be in a hurry to turn it back in— particularly when added to the fact that the car is pretty much depreciation-proof during this time.

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 VW Golf S DSG Silver
This thread illustrates very well how complex any buyback calculation can be, depending on the individual case. With our car everything comes out about right. We're getting back nearly what we paid for the car, and our optimum turn-in date should be Summer '18, because our powertrain warranty should expire about then. We'll have to put tires on before then, and, yeah, there's some marginal risk of totalling the car, but those would be true if all this had never happened.
It's been a good reliable car and we like it, so there's no reason to be in a hurry to turn it back in— particularly when added to the fact that the car is pretty much depreciation-proof during this time.
That's got to be the best part of the deal

In my particular case it might even go because I drive so few miles

edge130

Veteran Member
TDI
Wife's 2009 Jetta TDI sedan (2009 - 2017)
Math error in fiquring total buyback.

My take on the attachments that are part of the settlement that try to determine your total value seem to be incorrect.
One attachment shows a fiqure that already combines the clean trade in value, plus the restitution amount. The other attachment has the mileage tables and tells you to simply add or subtract from the privious attachment.
But the definition, vehicle value is the clean trade in value, then adjusted for mileage and options. This total fiqure then becomes the vehicle value.
Then, and only then, would you apply the restitution amount, which is a percentage of the vehiclle value plus the fixed dollar amount.
I think this helps you if you have low mileage, and hurts you if you have high mileage.

Last edited:

bobthefarmer

Veteran Member
TDI
2006.5 Jetta Mk 5 192K miles; 2012 Car of the Year, Passat Tdi SE+Nav in blue nightgown, shod in 18 inch heels
2012 Passat SE
Sun Roof and Nav (18" wheels)
60K miles
21,737 Buy Back
6112 Fix
It would have cost me $10K & Fuel/license/insurance for 4 years ownership
How much of the 6112 goes towards the resolution fix?

autdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 NB, 2003 NB, 2006 Touareg, 2015 Jetta, 2013 Beetle, 2013 Touareg
2012 Passat SE
Sun Roof and Nav (18" wheels)
60K miles
21,737 Buy Back
6112 Fix
It would have cost me $10K & Fuel/license/insurance for 4 years ownership
How much of the 6112 goes towards the resolution fix?
If the question is do you pay for the fix? No, you get 6112, they pay for the fix not out of that 6112, and extend the warranty.

CK_TDI

TDI
11 Golf
Good day TDI forumites… am I off my rocker here?
My 2011 Golf 2 Door manual TDI with a Power Sunroof has 62K miles.

• If I turn the car in October 2016 with 66K miles I will receive $18,767
  • If I turn the car in October 2017 with 80K miles I will receive $18,767
  • If I turn the car in October 2017 with 85K miles I will receive $18,137
  • If I turn the car in October 2018 with 104K miles I will receive $17,987

Looking at this I can run the car for an entire year and 14K miles yet receive the exact same amount as I would this Fall.
I can run for 2 full years and 42K miles for only $1K out of pocket!
Is this lack of depreciation really correct?

… If the car is wrecked… I assume the 'Fix+Cash' is the only restitution that will be received… even though VW has to totally crush the cars they receive in a buyback? Essentially $5K vs $18K in-pocket. Is this correct?

I am worried about keeping the car due to expensive repairs around the emissions components and decreasing availability of quality fuel. So far I have experienced:
  1. DPF cracked. I was told this would have been a $5000+ repair (plus any other damage due to the DPF cracking), but it was 'just' covered under 8 year/80K fed warranty.
  2. Twice the car has been towed after it stopped running, the dealership claiming the problem was subpar fuel… The fuel has been from an active truck station that the dealership itself recommends using.
  3. The EGR locked up and had to be replaced.

Why Keep:
  • I have meticulously kept the vehicle clean and taken measures to prevent (and halt) any rust, monthly (weekly during salt season). It is doubtful that a comparable class used car in the 18K range will have been as well maintained. It is also very difficult to find used comparable cars with manual transmissions.
  • I upgraded the brake system and replaced the tires days before the scandal broke out.
  • I upgraded the lighting to all LED
  • The mirrors have been swapped for Aspherical units
  • A seat drawer has been added
  • The dealer installed BT phone adapter & Rust electrical eliminator
  • It has a lovely frostheater installed.
  • It is a fantastically comfortable vehicle.
  • Essentially -> I have more money in the car than the ‘base’ assumptions account for.

DanB36

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Q5 Prestige TDI, Monsoon Gray
Is this lack of depreciation really correct?
Yes, it is.
even though VW has to totally crush the cars they receive in a buyback?
That isn't correct. If they develop an approved fix, they're free to install the fix on the cars they buy back and then re-sell them (either in the States or abroad). Or they can part out the cars, with the exception of the ECU, DPF, and some other specific emissions-related parts.

CK_TDI

TDI
11 Golf
Thanks for dispelling the 'destruction' of all buybacks DanB36.

I thought I read that on either ConsumerReports or hbsslaw, but cannot find it now. I'll hope it was read on a random 'article'

bmwM5power

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW TDI S 6MT 02 JETTA TDI GLS 5MT 15 GOLF TDI SE 6MT 15 GOLF TDI SEL DSG
so according to the calculator in post # 1 if you dont drive the car ( no mileage increase) and keep it for one more year (lets say till december 2017) the buyback amount is gonna go up? is that true? is this really gonna be like that? in my case it went up more than a grand

turboBear

TDI
2013 Golf TDI (sold back to VW 2016/12/28)
so according to the calculator in post # 1 if you dont drive the car ( no mileage increase) and keep it for one more year (lets say till december 2017) the buyback amount is gonna go up?
Depending upon your mileage, yes that is possible.

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
2017 GTI APR Stage 3 (395 hp/376 lb-ft)
Is it really worth $1000 to let a car that has an insurance payment sit for a year? Not asking if gaining $1000 is possible; instead, is it really WORTH it?

bmwM5power

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW TDI S 6MT 02 JETTA TDI GLS 5MT 15 GOLF TDI SE 6MT 15 GOLF TDI SEL DSG
Is it really worth $1000 to let a car that has an insurance payment sit for a year? Not asking if gaining $1000 is possible; instead, is it really WORTH it?
don't really have to pay insurance if it sits for a year, and it goes up $1100 to be precise for 2013 Golf TDI 4D 47K mi

Last edited:

Johncn

TDI
2010 SportWagen TDI DSG
Bought new in 2010, and currently in immaculate condition with 34,500 miles.
No mechanical or cosmetic issues at all. Looks nearly showroom.

2010 Jetta SportWagen 4D TDI w/ Power Sunroof (SE Region)
Buyback Estimated Mileage 35,500 (October, 2016 Estimate)

Buyback Base: $15,407.00
Sunroof: $600
Mileage Adjustment: $4,320.00

Estimated Buyback Total: $20,327.00

Estimated Modification Alternative: $5,877.00

The problem for me is that we got it just before retiring so we wouldn't have a car payment. Income far less now.
We LOVE this car, but can't get anything else we want new for the buyback amount - even adjusted.

Sigh.

Last edited:

Dr. D

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL
Do you guys remember when the "how much is your car worth" calculator goes live? I thought it was today? Was the site vwcourtsettlement.com?

DanB36

Veteran Member
TDI
Do you guys remember when the "how much is your car worth" calculator goes live? I thought it was today? Was the site vwcourtsettlement.com?
Yes, it's today, and yes, that's the site. I would expect it to go live some time later in the day, and not for another couple of hours at least. The hearing doesn't start for another hour at least.

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Bought new in 2010, and currently in immaculate condition with 34,500 miles.
No mechanical or cosmetic issues at all. Looks nearly showroom.

2010 Jetta SportWagen 4D TDI w/ Power Sunroof (SE Region)
Buyback Estimated Mileage 35,500 (October, 2016 Estimate)

Buyback Base: $15,407.00
Sunroof: $600
Mileage Adjustment: $4,320.00

Estimated Buyback Total: $20,327.00

Estimated Modification Alternative: $5,877.00

The problem for me is that we got it just before retiring so we wouldn't have a car payment. Income far less now.
We LOVE this car, but can't get anything else we want new for the buyback amount - even adjusted.

Sigh.
It might be horrible to hear

There are some new Asian cars out there in the $20,000 range

I was kicking tires and found a 2016 Camry LE at way less than the MSRP.

(approx) $19,000

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Yes, it's today, and yes, that's the site. I would expect it to go live some time later in the day, and not for another couple of hours at least. The hearing doesn't start for another hour at least.
To hell with the hearing

get off their nobleness and open the site. :mad::mad::mad::mad:

DanB36

Veteran Member
TDI
Oh, FFS. Seriously? Just open the site, and don't worry about whether the judge says OK?