Dieselgate: Volkswagen to Spend Up to $14.7 Billion to Settle ...

What will you with your Dieselgate TDI

• Turn it in for the cash.

Votes: 319 67.6%
  • Bring it in for the "fix" and the cash.

Votes: 81 17.2%
  • Do nothing but keep driving.

Votes: 72 15.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

MichVW

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 JSW DSG. 2011 Golf TDI 4DR 6MT
Ok. I must be slow or have a hard time with complicated math problems. I am terrible at math..

I have to vehicles 2011 Golf and a 2014 JSW.

Based on the charts, easy to identify the buyback without mileage deductions. The mileage thing is a mess.

Can someone help me out here?

1) 2011 Golf 4 door with 95,000 miles*** Car is parked and not being driven***
18,497.00 Base buyback
+ 480.00 Sunroof

***wondering why Bi-xenon lamps are not an option?

2) 2014 JSW with 25,000 miles ****Car is being driven****
27,557.00 Base buyback
+ 360.00 Power Seat
480.00 Alloy wheels

When calculating mileage are we to assume July 2016 or October 2016?
The "further adjustment" chart at the bottom of the mileage chart is also confusing me.

Help!! lol.

Thanks

fredthe

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium DSG, 2015 Golf Sportwagon SEL DSG
I read this on the Edmunds site:
Consumers will also receive cash payments in addition to the buyback value.

Most owners who purchased a 2.0-liter vehicle before September 18, 2015 will be eligible for a payment ranging from $5,100 to approximately $10,000 per vehicle. Owners who bought their cars after that will get the vehicle's value and restitution worth at least $2,550.

They sure make it sound like the $5,100 to $10,000 is still in play and added to the buy back amount.
I'd like to be proven wrong, but I haven't yet found this in the actual documents.

aliasbane

TDI
Passat 2013
Let the new Megathead being. Is there a consensus that the buyback category includes the extra cash or not?

Also with the modification cash and the supposed warranty of things with the fix, i sure as hell better be able to get out of my present extended warranty fully...

Borsig

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE, 2015 GSW SEL (buyback), 2011 JSW (sold)
Seems like owners of newer vehicles are getting shafted compared to older ones.
Yep.

own a 2012? Oh great here's your profit.

Own a 2015? Sorry sucker, assume the risk of lost value and a fix that we might pay you for or take a 3,000 loss.

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
2013 JSW, 2003 Jetta Ute, 2 x 2002 Golf, 2000 Golf
nobody seems to be mentioning the extended warranty if you opt for the modification.

120k or 150k, 10 years, on emissions system and long block(includes exhaust after treatment system, fuel system, egr system, turbo, computer, dpf)
But in the other thread, isn't that starting from initial sale/date of service?

da_jokker

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta
I read this on the Edmunds site:
Consumers will also receive cash payments in addition to the buyback value.

Most owners who purchased a 2.0-liter vehicle before September 18, 2015 will be eligible for a payment ranging from $5,100 to approximately $10,000 per vehicle. Owners who bought their cars after that will get the vehicle's value and restitution worth at least $2,550.

They sure make it sound like the $5,100 to $10,000 is still in play and added to the buy back amount.

It is VERY clear that you get NADA value + Compensation. I think the confusion is with all these Lookup Quick Sheets.... sounds like the Compensation is already built into the buyback "base" price.

maybe368

Veteran Member
TDI
Happily none
I kept a log of everything that I did to the car, from buying it to updating it, including noting every fill up, where it was filled up and all the receipts. I expect this to help my attorney negotiate me the absolutely best deal. I expect to be very happy with the deal that I get. Judge Breyer had said something about the settlement not being lowered by attorneys fees, I take that to mean that they get a separate piece of the pie...Mark

fredthe

Veteran Member
TDI
Here's an interesting thought... if your vehicle gets totaled in an accident, you now have a definitive claim on the value of the vehicle (the buy-back value). May help in future insurance claims.

fredthe

Veteran Member
TDI
It is VERY clear that you get NADA value + Compensation. I think the confusion is with all these Lookup Quick Sheets.... sounds like the Compensation is already built into the buyback "base" price.
Exactly!:D

aliasbane

TDI
Passat 2013
You are right, that is the confussion and that confusion needs to get fixed fast or it will annoy people. based on what I am seeing, pretty much if you have a 2013 or newest VW it really isnt worth it to do the buy back if the values are bundles based on the charts. Granted more info on the loan forgiveness needs to come out.

faultymechanics

Veteran Member
TDI
1992 Jetta Ecodiesel, 2015 Jetta TDI SEL
Okay that's what I thought. So can someone help me speculate. I have a 2015 fi8nanced thru vw, their buyback wont pay it all off. Will they automatically cover the rest because it's a loan?

If those values are bundled then that is absolute garbage deal. I can almost guarantee it isn't bundled. No way my car was worth 22k off thre lot in September.

Philpug

Veteran Member
TDI
Gone but not forgotten
I kept a log of everything that I did to the car, from buying it to updating it, including noting every fill up, where it was filled up and all the receipts. I expect this to help my attorney negotiate me the absolutely best deal. I expect to be very happy with the deal that I get. Judge Breyer had said something about the settlement not being lowered by attorneys fees, I take that to mean that they get a separate piece of the pie...Mark
If you get an attorney to take the case, sure but do you really think you will get enough to justify the time and effort it will take, less what the lawyer will take? :confused:

solBLACK

TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE
WAIT WAIT WAIT SO NOW WE DONT GET THE EXTRA 5K with the buyback?
That's what it seems like. My 2015 Golf SE is looking like it's $27k - $510 for mileage. So I'm only getting $26k for my vehicle when people with older cars seem to be getting a few thousand extra. Pretty crappy if you ask me.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
Soooo....
My 2012 Jetta TDI with 105,000 kms

2012 Jetta TDI anywhere between $18,317 - $20,867 (http://www.cand.uscourts.gov/crb/vwmdl/proposed-settlement)
Subtract Mileage Adjustment of $3,540 (https://www.ftc.gov/sites/default/files/pdf/att._2b_-_beetle_and_jetta_mileage_table.pdf)
I am looking at anywhere between $14,777 - $17,327

Did I get this right?
Only if you live (and your car is registered) in these United States. You are aware that this case is just for these United States? Canada will have to come up with it's own settlement.

Motley

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI
I think it's all perfectly simple...

...will those of you who are playing in the match this afternoon move your clothes down onto the lower peg immediately after lunch, before you write your letter home, if you're not getting your hair cut, unless you've got a younger brother who is going out this weekend as the guest of another boy, in which case, collect his note before lunch, put it in your letter after you've had your hair cut, and make sure he moves your clothes down onto the lower peg for you.

It's perfectly simple. If you're not getting your hair cut, you don't have to move your brother's clothes down to the lower peg. You simply collect his note before lunch, after you've done your scripture prep, when you've written your letter home, before rest, move your own clothes onto the lower peg, greet the visitors, and report to Mr. Viney that you've had your chit signed.

faultymechanics

Veteran Member
TDI
Quote from site: Owners receive their Vehicle Value, plus an additional cash payment (“Owner Restitution”). The Owner Restitution payment is calculated at 20% of the Vehicle Value plus $2,986.73. The minimum Owner Restitution payment for any Class Member—to be paid on top of the Vehicle Value—will be $5,100.

This clearly says vehicle value, so what you calculate after mileage plus the extra cash.

I am fairly certain everyone getws cash on top of the buyback. ESPECIALLY since those specific words were in the deal they proposed to breyer. He aint gonna let them slink away without the buyback PLUS "Significant compensation"

AND: "If you choose the Buyback option, you will receive your car’s September 2015 Clean Trade Vehicle Value, plus a cash payment, ranging from a minimum of $5,100 to nearly $10,000, depending on your vehicle. "

So spreadsheet for actual buyback value PLUS however much extra you calculate for (Vehicles value * .2 PLUS $2986.00)

hex_915

TDI
12' TDI Sedan
Just trying to see if I'm doing my math right here.

2012 Jetta 6 MT, 70k miles currently.
Buyback price after options and deductions $19,307
Mileage adjustment as of today for -$390
Final buyback value $18,917.
I owe $14,300

Buyback return $4617.

Now according to this paragraph on the proposed settlement, " Owners receive their Vehicle Value, plus an additional cash payment (“Owner Restitution”). The Owner Restitution payment is calculated at 20% of the Vehicle Value plus $2,986.73. The minimum Owner Restitution payment for any Class Member—to be paid on top of the Vehicle Value—will be $5,100"

20% of $18,917 is $3783.40 PLUS $2986.73 = $6770.13

$6770.13 + $4617 = $11387 is what I roughly plan on walking away with after getting the car loan paid off, depending on how much I drive from here until the final date. Not a bad deal.

nsteussy

Any idea how sales tax is going to work with the buy back. Here in Indiana 7% of my projected $15K buy back is $1,050. Does that apply? Who will be responsible for paying it?

faultymechanics

Veteran Member
TDI
Somewhere I read VW will be giving a large bonus also to compensate for taxes, hence location being important.

We get tax cash back for the car and more prob towards a new car.

fredthe

Veteran Member
TDI
Granted more info on the loan forgiveness needs to come out.
That is easy, if you opt for buyback and have a loan, they will increase they buyback amount by up to 130% if necessary to pay off the loan. If that's not enough you are on the hook for the excess, if the loan is less than the (100%) buyback amount you get the difference in cash.

RBTDI

TDI
2014 VW Passat TDI SEL, Night Blue / Titan Black
Anyone know where we can look at the actual Sept. 2015 NADA value tables? I'm not talking about the FTC tables issued today.

fredthe

Veteran Member
TDI
They really should've released the online calculator with the tables. *whiff*
It looks like that will be available after the settlement is approved. If I didn't have to do real work today I'd whip one up.

Murdock

TDI
2011 JSW
Long time lurker, first time poster....

I may be reading this wrong, but if you read last page of the mileage adjustment tables provided by the FTC, it states that both buyback and modification are subject to further adjustment. That if the modification amount (i.e. a payment or deduction for mileage) is less than $5,100, that we do a further adjustment?

Example: my 2011 JSW had a mileage deduction of -$2,010. Based on the table at the bottom it says to add $5,100 to this (net +$3,090) and then to add this amount to the buyback amount listed in Table 1A.

If this is the case, it seems to benefit almost everyone except ones who have a positive modification amount greater than $5,100....which only would apply to someone who has an older model car and didn't drive it. Basically a 2009 with 20k or less miles, 2010 with 15k or less or 2011 with 10k or less [these numbers for beetle/jetta table]

faultymechanics

Veteran Member
TDI
That is easy, if you opt for buyback and have a loan, they will increase they buyback amount by up to 130% if necessary to pay off the loan. If that's not enough you are on the hook for the excess, if the loan is less than the (100%) buyback amount you get the difference in cash.

Now if it is VW who owns the loan do they still do this? I thought I read this is only for third party loans?

Also if they have to go about 100% to 130% do I get the difference still?

Status
Not open for further replies.