Trunk Problems 2002 Jetta TDI

ProTaper125

TDI
2002 VW Jetta TDI GLS Auto 176k
Hello, i have a 2002 VW Jetta TDI GLS Auto, and my trunk does not open. I use the trunk button on the key and that does not work. I also put the key in the VW symbol on the trunk and turn it to the left. That does not even work. Please if someone could help me that would be much appreciated.

Thank you!!

kennethsime

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon GL TDI 5-Speed Baltic Green
Turn it way left, like HARD left. You should pop it.

Mine does this too, the part to replace it is expensive enough that I don't bother. Do some more searching here on the forum, you'll find a few threads about it.

VW Petrolero

Veteran Member
TDI
2018 Golf SW 1.8 TSI
Trunk not opening

Try hard to open it with the key,It'll open eventually,then check the wiring on the left side near the hinge and you'll see a broken one.
Good luck
Cheers

Last edited:

desertpir8

TDI
'03 Jetta TDI
It may also be the plastic piece that always breaks on these things. I had to pick up a trunk fix kit for mine due to the plastic piece breaking from this place: http://jettatrunk.com/ Works great now.

TomJD

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI GLS, 2015 Golf TDI
If it isn't that wire, my bet is the plastic piece mentioned above. I had this same issue and fixed it with some JB Weld. It just requires removing the cover inside the trunk lid and seeing if everything is working correctly.