Guru's pls check these logs and comment - Suspect MAF

TDIFanatic1.9

Veteran Member
TDI
1.9 Jetta TDI
Hi there

Did a few runs this weekend, The problem being lazzy throtle response when flooring it above 2000rpm in any gear exept 1st and power fading of ever so slightly above 3800rpm. I also notice some smoke when driving normaly not even WOT.

Here's The log for 2 runs

Last edited:

TDIFanatic1.9

Veteran Member
TDI
1.9 Jetta TDI
Are these logs a 100% sure sign of a failing MAF, I need to know before I buy a new one as these things are #$%@ expensive in South Africa R1687-00 ($225-00).
I did check the intake for clogging but it seemed pretty clean with only a little bit of black tarry coating.
Vag-com doesn't show any codes so I take it all the other sensors are fine, I also did check coolant and fuel temp sensors with vag-com.
The timming is spot on.

Kyuss

Veteran Member
TDI
White '02 Golf
One thing you can try is unplugging the MAF. If you find that power is increased you definatly need a new MAF. My understanding is that the ecu will use a default setting should it not have a MAF value to work with.

Ideally, you want to pull the MAF (the harness) and have the car's performance drop drastically, almost as if it were in limp mode.

A real cheap thing to do try (but likley wont fix your problem) is to put some dielectric grease in the connector...alot of guys have tried this and enjoyed the results. Just thought it may be worth mentioning here. (you can search the thresd here...it's worth a read).

Good luck!:)

hagar

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 white Jetta 5sp & 2006 Mercedes CDI
Was die donderse ding goed met alkohol! Ek doen dit gereeld met my 2 Jettas.

kirda

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2002 Golf Tdi
TDIFanatic1.9 said:
Ek het dit met carb cleaner gewas, nie juis n' verskil gesien nie. Het dit maar vervang nou lyk die Vag-com logs mooi.
That's funny.....lmao

Maybe you should have the english wording in brackets as no one here is going to understand Afrikaans...that's not "lekker" when one writes in a different language in a english forum.

ex-SA now in Canada , good laugh thou thanks for the smile;)

Oh by the way it looks like you have a MAF thats bad,the 2.0l MAF will also work and it maybe cheaper there.

Jose

Last edited:

TDIFanatic1.9

Veteran Member
TDI
1.9 Jetta TDI
I should have thought about a translater there but what I basicaly said was that I sprayd it good with carb cleaner, it didn't help. Replaced it with the latest rev ( c) one from VW now its looking good.