First impression of a fixed 3.0L TDI Gen 2

MBQ

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI 4Dr DSG
My recall was done on Monday. I received an email for "Chase Payments" on Tuesday where you accept the payment. Please check your email just in case.
Strange enough, I found on the claim portal today that another offer was generated for me to sign/notarize for one of the cars. The offer was dated Jan. 15th and the payment is the full amount instead of the half payment in the offer letter sent by the UPS.

Please note that I did the emission fix before receiving both offers for the same car.

MTB_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Golf MT indigo blue pearl 4 dr & '15 Touareg TDI
I sent signed/notarized offers back to VW through UPS one month and a half ago after the emission fix for 2 Gen 2 PCs.

Called the claim line and was told they received the returned pack and were noted the emission fix was done. But still haven't received the emails for EFT.

Anyone else in the same boat? Thanks.
It took me almost two weeks to get mine. The dealer forgot to take a picture of the VIN with their business card so the claims process was incomplete. I would call and confirm with the claims portal.

The other possibility is that maybe the chase payment email went to your spam and you didn’t get it.

timbo489

TDI
Q5
Not wanting to start new thread, but I'm really wondering about DEF usage post-fix. I have a 2016 Q5. At 1000 miles post-fix, I got the 1000 mile warning. That means consumption of 23L in 2000 miles, which seems incredible. Yes, it's cold where I live, but I do almost entirely highway miles.

Maybe the dealer didn't really refill the tank with the recall?

I'd be interested in others' thoughts. Thanks!

TDI
Audi Q5 TDI 3.0L
Not wanting to start new thread, but I'm really wondering about DEF usage post-fix. I have a 2016 Q5. At 1000 miles post-fix, I got the 1000 mile warning. That means consumption of 23L in 2000 miles, which seems incredible. Yes, it's cold where I live, but I do almost entirely highway miles.

Maybe the dealer didn't really refill the tank with the recall?

I'd be interested in others' thoughts. Thanks!
That would be weird considing Audi said DEF consumption for the 2016 Q5 would go down in the Emission Recall booklet.

I'm sure they didn't fill the tank, or didn't adapt that the vehicle was filled. Go back to the dealer.

I asked my dealer after the fix what is the process for DEF fill-up. I hope we don't need an appointment or have a long wait. The response was that they would hook up the vehicle to the computer, fill the tank, and "adapt" the control module that a fill-up had occurred. Seems too difficult.

I think we do need a new DEF thread for the Gen 2 3.0L vehicles.

Last edited:

MBQ

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI 4Dr DSG
It took me almost two weeks to get mine. The dealer forgot to take a picture of the VIN with their business card so the claims process was incomplete. I would call and confirm with the claims portal.
The other possibility is that maybe the chase payment email went to your spam and you didn’t get it.
Did you do emission repair before getting the offer in the UPS package?

timbo489

TDI
Q5
I asked my dealer after the fix what is the process for DEF fill-up. I hope we don't need an appointment or have a long wait. The response was that they would hook up the vehicle to the computer, fill the tank, and "adapt" the control module that a fill-up had occurred. Seems too difficult.
No computer reset required. Just put in a minimum of 1 gallon, per owner's manual and it resets.

Mine swallowed 5 gallons. Did it myself, as the nearest dealer is 350 miles away. Here's hoping it lasts more than 1000 miles or this is going to be a real PIA.

I'm going to get the Malone tune, but my understanding is that doesn't impact DEF consumption, just HP and torque! :p

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta 2013 Passat SE 6Man
No computer reset required. Just put in a minimum of 1 gallon, per owner's manual and it resets.

Mine swallowed 5 gallons. Did it myself, as the nearest dealer is 350 miles away. Here's hoping it lasts more than 1000 miles or this is going to be a real PIA.

I'm going to get the Malone tune, but my understanding is that doesn't impact DEF consumption, just HP and torque! :p
Yowza, down the road that thing would go if usage was anywhere NEAR that high.

bioburner

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Wagon 285k - Gone ‘10 JSW - Gone '13 Q7 145k
My Q7 drank 5gals of DEF in 3K miles post fix if I am to believe the dealers invoices. No prob having them top off other than being inconvenient.

dyehead

TDI
2013 Q7 Prestige
It's been 8 days and Audi still has my Q7. Does lemon law apply here with the extended warranty? They have had my car for over a month in the last 3.

audiq7tdi

TDI
audi
Can someone help me to bring my car back the way it was before p2 fix
It's been 4 months now when I got this fix done and has been noting but disaster.
shifting wired, loosing power between shift, accelerator slow response, so annoying engine sound I feel engine is running on higher rpms than it shows
does anyone has same or a like issues
thanks

Milpitas2.7T

TDI
2014 Q5 Sline Plus Prestige
It's been 4 months now when I got this fix done and has been noting but disaster.
shifting wired, loosing power between shift, accelerator slow response, so annoying engine sound I feel engine is running on higher rpms than it shows
thanks
Glad I'm not the only one. the 8spd transmission was the first automatic that I didn't feel wanted to kill me (oh you want to go? now?, YES now,!!" Now the transmission feels like all the other crap Audi automatics. I hate it, I've done the reset and have driven it for a couple of months, the throttle feel is absolute crap!

2014Q5TDI

TDI
2014 Q5 TDI
thanks
Audi should have bought these back. I hate the way mine stays in low gears and high RPM's, Especially bad when the weather is 50 degrees or below. The engine warms up in about 1/3 the time. I assume they made it run less efficient to create more heat. Doesn't let me use the paddle shifters for about the first 1/2 hour of driving in cold weather. Mileage dropped much more than the 1 MPG Audi claimed. When slowing to go around a corner it shifts down to second gear which is the feeling of losing power most people describe. And I could go on and on!! My 2018 F350 6.7 Power Stroke doesn't need to idle fast when cold and always shifts up at low RPM's like the Audi used to. No smell out the exhaust either. But it does sound like a Diesel when accelerating, but it is a truck.

KevinGary

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 A6 TDI
My 2015 A6 3.0 TDI has a deadline of April 30, 2020. You can check the settlement agreement to see if your deadline is different.

Tsch125

TDI
2013 Q7 Premium Plus
To "FixedTouareg": believe it or not, I have only 9,400 miles on my 2013. I'm retired, and my wife does most of the driving and errand-running in her Lexus. My own driving has been in 200 mile chunks between Orlando (my home) and Live Oak in N. Florida. No problems at all. Same with fairly regular driving around town, but not often enough to pile up the miles.

It's a great pity. I LOVE my Touareg! I'm a big guy - 6' 4", 215 lbs - and it's perfect for me. It took off like a scalded cat, and the range and 30mpg ratings were accurate. Honestly, I just want my Treg back!
I am having the same issue with my 2013 Q7 with 83k miles. My fix was done the week after yours! Dealer tells me this is "inherent to the diesel modification". I test drove a '14 from their used lot that did not exhibit this behavior, so I am suspicious that they don't know what to do.

Have you gotten any resolution to your problem?

Tsch125

TDI
2013 Q7 Premium Plus
Thanks to a suggestion from a member here, I was finally able to get rid of the lurching and hesitation issues I've previously mentioned. I don't recall his name, but thank you! (The solution was "ignition on, depress accelerator for 10-15 seconds"; simple as that. I just got it wrong the first time.)
I just found this, your final solution to the lurching. I will have to try to reset my throttle ASAP! Can't believe the dealer did not do this nor suggest it. :confused:
Thanks!

Last edited:

msandhu413

TDI
Audi TDI
I just found this, your final solution to the lurching. I will have to try to reset my throttle ASAP! Can't believe the dealer did not do this but suggest it. :confused:
Thanks!
Our A7 after the fix is also lurching from the start and i was planing to take it to the dealership.
But will try this fix - is this a common problem?

Mythdoc

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Touareg, 2015 Q5, 2015 Golf
****Don’t turn the engine on to reset throttle, just turn on the ignition and do the procedure. Then ignition off. Then start car.*****

msandhu413

TDI
Audi TDI
****Don’t turn the engine on to reset throttle, just turn on the ignition and do the procedure. Then ignition off. Then start car.*****
Ok - Thank you.
Just to recap:

So turn the ignition on - without starting the car.
Press accelerator to the metal (all the way) for 15 seconds.
Release the accelerator.
Turn off the ignition.
And than start the car.
Correct?

Milpitas2.7T

TDI
May fix any lurching but the 8 speed has been neutered, we are back to it being like every other piece of **** Audi automatic on the market before it. off brake throttle lag is the worst. I will start making some noise with Audi because they have ruined my car. I can deal with the lie of the 1mph hit when it's really 3 mpg but I can't stand by while the joy of the vehicle is gone thanks to their mucking with the TCU

bahiaeternal

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Audi A7 TDI
Have any of you guys gotten a tune for your 3.0L Gen 2's? Has it fixed some of the issues you guys are experiencing?

Im getting the fix done tomorrow morn, im already feeling sad, but taking the $ is a no brainer.

KevinGary

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 A6 TDI
Waiting until April of 2020 to get the fix, which is the deadline to pick up the check and start the new warranty, is a no brainer for me. I don’t know why anyone would get the fix any earlier than the deadline. The reviews of the fix are depressing.

Mythdoc

Veteran Member
TDI
Ok - Thank you.
Just to recap:

So turn the ignition on - without starting the car.
Press accelerator to the metal (all the way) for 15 seconds.
Release the accelerator.
Turn off the ignition.
And than start the car.
Correct?
Correct

Mythdoc

Veteran Member
TDI
Have any of you guys gotten a tune for your 3.0L Gen 2's? Has it fixed some of the issues you guys are experiencing?

Im getting the fix done tomorrow morn, im already feeling sad, but taking the $ is a no brainer.
Tune (may void warranty) or piggyback tune (won’t void warranty) have both been reported to help noticeably. I have a thread here:

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=476886

lord diesel

TDI
2000' Jetta TDi, 2016' Audi Q5 TDI

So you"ll have your vehicle "fixed" then come back to whine about what you already knew was in store for you?
Grab some quick cash, spend it on a tune, and potentially void your entire extended warranty. "No brainer", you said it, not me.

Milpitas2.7T

TDI
Waiting until April of 2020 to get the fix, which is the deadline to pick up the check and start the new warranty, is a no brainer for me. I don’t know why anyone would get the fix any earlier than the deadline. The reviews of the fix are depressing.

No fix = no smog = no registration in CA.

Tory