Turn signal/ Flasher relay replacement

Blue Haze

TDI
2013 Passat; 82 caddy w/aaz 1.9 mtr; 65 chevelle SS
I have an 01 Jetta TDI and the turnsignals and flasher have quit working at least most of the time. I believe that the relay is bad since the clicking also has stopped. I tried today to get to the relay but I could not figure out how to get to it. I assume it is behind the hazard flasher somewhere. What is the trick to change this? Is this a dealer part or should I be able to pick it up at any auto parts store?

CalPauley

Veteran Member
TDI
1999.5 Jetta GL, cosmic green
Manufacturer : Volkswagen Of America, Inc
Make / Model/Build Years:
Volkswagen Golf / 2000-2002, Volkswagen GTI / 2000-2002, Volkswagen Jetta / 2000-2002
NHTSA Campaign ID Number : 04V584000
Recall Date : Dec 13, 2004
Component: Exterior Lighting:Hazard Flashing Warning Lights:Switch
Potential Number Of Units Affected : 350000
Summary: On certain passenger vehicles, the hazard switch and flasher system function may degrade over time because of distortion and material transfer of the contacts of certain hazard switch relays which occurs due to substantially increased electrical current load from higher wattage turn signal bulbs.
Consequence: This may result in intermittent or inoperative turn signal and hazard flasher function.
Remedy: Dealers will replace the hazard flasher switch/relay kit. The recall is expected to begin during February 2005. Owners should contact Volkswagen at 1-800-822-8987.
Notes: VW recall no. VX. Customers can also contact the national highway traffic safety administration's auto safety hotline at 1-888-dash-2-dot (1-888-327-4236).

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
Blue Haze said:
I have an 01 Jetta TDI and the turnsignals and flasher have quit working at least most of the time. I believe that the relay is bad since the clicking also has stopped. I tried today to get to the relay but I could not figure out how to get to it. I assume it is behind the hazard flasher somewhere. What is the trick to change this? Is this a dealer part or should I be able to pick it up at any auto parts store?
I paid $22 for a flasher relay at the dealership, and it took me about 3-5 minutes to replace, using a thin blade to ease out the old one... carefully so as not to scratch the surrounding plastic.

mrGutWrench

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon, 5-speed, 563K Miles (July '23)
TornadoRed said:
I paid $22 for a flasher relay at the dealership, and it took me about 3-5 minutes to replace, using a thin blade to ease out the old one... carefully so as not to scratch the surrounding plastic.
__. TR, when you say "ease out the old one", do you mean the hazard warning switch button? Someone else said that you get more room if the take out the "blank" button next to that position, too.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
mrGutWrench said:
__. TR, when you say "ease out the old one", do you mean the hazard warning switch button? Someone else said that you get more room if the take out the "blank" button next to that position, too.
I mean the hazard flasher relay, which is the button in the center of the dash. I don't remember whether I took out the blank button next to it... I don't think so.

mrGutWrench

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon, 5-speed, 563K Miles (July '23)
TornadoRed said:
I mean the hazard flasher relay, which is the button in the center of the dash. I don't remember whether I took out the blank button next to it... I don't think so.
__. Thanks, I understand. That's what I thought you meant but I'm looking down both barrels of a relay swap and wanted to be sure.

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
NAPA #6003640, you can probably cross reference that to wherever you go. FYI it a hazard switch, ask for a relay and you will get something else. The blank pulls out easy and from there the catch on one side of the switch can be reached.

RobinPhillips

Veteran Member
Switzerland (formerly Lethbridge, AB, Canada and b
TDI
2000 Jetta (drove it off the dealer's lot new in Nov 2000)
Dealers are still honoring this recall

I took my US market 2000 Jetta to a dealer in Helsinki this week for an oil change service as it was due and I still had a couple of thousand km left on the winter skiing trip to Scandanavia (we've been through Norway, Sweden and Finland - I'll post a couple of pictures in the road trips forum later). Anyway, they took the VIN and typed it into their computer and told me I had two open recalls - the hazard switch and the brake switch. They checked with VW somewhere and got confirmation that they should make the change. So I drove away 2 hrs later with new parts that cost me nothing. The only thing that is annoying me is that the turn signal clicking now sounds slightly different. After 19.5 years of it sounding the same it is distracting that both the pitch and I think the rate are slightly changed. The original had occasionally over the last couple of years switched to a "tinny" clicking, but that always went away after a few seconds - probably early signs of relay failure described elsewhere in other posts. So this was probably worth having done. I was quite impressed that they honored a 15 year old recall though.