Pay fine and fix emissions problem or buyback?

Jimmy Coconuts

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 JSW, 2010 Jetta, 2011 Q7 Prestige, 2012 A3 Premium, 2013 A3 Premium Plus, 2014 Beetle, 2015 Jetta
After having my 2015 Passat TDI re-flashed last month, power is definitely down under hard acceleration.
Can you elaborate please? Have you noticed any changes in fuel economy? Also, what flash for the 2015s - what was the recall number?

bubbagumpshrimp

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta TDI
I didn't notice a power or fuel economy reduction ('13 Jetta TDI here), but I will say that I've noticed more frequent regens, longer regens (15+ minutes), and harsher regens. By harsh, I mean that the whole car shudders when a regen kicks in now. It's noticeable enough that I can feel It on the highway.

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
I can only tell you what I experienced and it was a loss of hard acceleration power. I'd have a smile on my face if I had gotten added zip.
After the dealer performed the recall and reflashed the computer on my 2013 Golf TDI, I noticed a definite loss of power under hard acceleration from a standstill.
Now, I'm curious. Did anyone else notice a performance difference (plus or minus) after the dealer reflashed your computer for the recent recall?
Maybe it's just 1/4-3/4 throttle that feels zippier... from 3/4 to full throttle there's very little difference.

roostre

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI DSG
…..
Now, I'm curious. Did anyone else notice a performance difference (plus or minus) after the dealer reflashed your computer for the recent recall?
I hesitate to post, since besides being off-topic, this issue is very subjective; but since you asked, here is my observation.

I have a DSG, so my perceptions of the 23O6 ECM software update may be different from those with a manual.

What I noticed was a different throttle response from what I had been used to during the prior two years before the update. The throttle seems to respond faster and is not as easy to accurately control when initially starting from a standstill with the DSG.

Maybe I have a lead foot, but I have to be more gentle on the throttle when staring out from a stop after the update to avoid chirping the tires. I do not notice anymore overall power or any less power.

Some may see this as being “peppier”, but for me it seems to just be a different response with similar power and I actually preferred how it used to feel before the update.

Hugh Mann

TDI
2013 Golf TDI, manual transmission
How many would be the first to receive the emissions fix?

I hesitate to post, since besides being off-topic, this issue is very subjective;
It may seem off-topic to ask if owners noticed any differences in performance after the recent recall to update their TDI's ECM. But,on the other hand, it shows how differently owners will perceive an emissions fix after it is done. This is going to be one of many challenges that Volkswagen faces after a fix is approved and the emissions recalls are installed.

Just like I'd never be the first to install an n.0 version of Windows and suffer all the bugs, I'll wait as long as possible before the California EPA forces me to do the emissions recall. I'll go to forums like this to get as much information as I can.

So here's another question: How many of you would volunteer to be the first to receive the EPA approved emissions fix?

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
I hesitate to post, since besides being off-topic, this issue is very subjective; but since you asked, here is my observation.
I have a DSG, so my perceptions of the 23O6 ECM software update may be different from those with a manual.
What I noticed was a different throttle response from what I had been used to during the prior two years before the update. The throttle seems to respond faster and is not as easy to accurately control when initially starting from a standstill with the DSG.
Maybe I have a lead foot, but I have to be more gentle on the throttle when staring out from a stop after the update to avoid chirping the tires. I do not notice anymore overall power or any less power.
Some may see this as being “peppier”, but for me it seems to just be a different response with similar power and I actually preferred how it used to feel before the update.
That confirms my suspicion that there was likely a change in throttle response.

It may seem off-topic to ask if owners noticed any differences in performance after the recent recall to update their TDI's ECM. But,on the other hand, it shows how differently owners will perceive an emissions fix after it is done. This is going to be one of many challenges that Volkswagen faces after a fix is approved and the emissions recalls are installed.
Just like I'd never be the first to install an n.0 version of Windows and suffer all the bugs, I'll wait as long as possible before the California EPA forces me to do the emissions recall. I'll go to forums like this to get as much information as I can.
So here's another question: How many of you would volunteer to be the first to receive the EPA approved emissions fix?
Considering the amount of hardware that will likely go along with the fix I'm likely to wait a good 2-4 months to see how the fix goes for those who get it done first.

roostre

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI DSG
That confirms my suspicion that there was likely a change in throttle response.
…..
From the latest “VW Conspiratorialist” magazine, available only at select newsstands:

The inevitable power loss from attempting to correct emissions with the ECM 23O6 update had to be disguised somehow.

An exhaustive study was conducted to determine how different people perceived engine power.

Some relied on “top speed” while others believed in their “butt dyno”.

In the end, the “butt dyno” crowd won out as usual and it is was decided to modify the throttle characteristics so the engine seemed “peppier” by accelerating faster initially (as compared to previous expectations from before the update).

Unfortunately those with more sensitive “butt dynos” were not satisfied.

Last edited:

F6Hawk

TDI
2013 Jetta TDI Premium
I think VW is getting the crappy end of a bad deal. They lied to make a sale. Other car manufacturers do it as well. And as for the whole "40X emissions" BS, think about all the planes, semi trucks, and massive (10-24 cylinder) diesel generators that run 24/7, spewing black clouds of smoke. Or... the coal rollers (SMH).

Personally, I love my TDI. I don't feel any differently about VW in general than I did before I bought mine. And while I hate car payment as much as the next person, I would buy another TDI from VW right now if I really needed to.

I also don't plan to do anything to modify my car as it stands right now, unless I am somehow forced to, which I doubt will ever happen. I love that my computer (falsely) shows me getting 52 mpg on long drives (probably more like 48~50 mpg). Just as I know that I am only doing 70 when the speedo says 73.