Volkswagen Touareg T2 motor in T1 Touareg?

Hasenwerk

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
1982 Cabriolet (BEW|VNT17|Stage4), 1989 VW TriStar Syncro soon-to-be CR TDI (CBEA), 2001 Ford Ranger Edge 4x4 (ALH|VNT17|R520|Stage4)
I have a sweet deal available to me on a 3.0L V6 TDI motor and transmission from a 2nd Generation Touareg. There are also lots of 1st generation V6 and V8 Touaregs around here that are quite inexpensive. I personally feel the T1 looks better than the T2!

So three questions for people who know these cars better than I:

1 - My understanding is that the T1 has a low range transmission and the T2 doesn't - true?
2 - Is it correct to assume that T1 V6 and V8 transmissions are the same bell housing / crank patterns?
3 - Electronics aside, is the T2 V6 Diesel going to mount into a T1 without any über complicated custom parts?

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Not sure when exactly but the change from 6sp+hi/low to 8sp+standard AWD came after the T1-T2 change, so that does not designate (T1 or T2) which drivetrain it has.

The V6 is really a VR6, and has its own bellhousing pattern that is not the same as the V8, and the later V8 is a totally different engine anyway, so it may not bolt up the same. There are a lot of other differences too, I'm sure.

Looks aside, the T'reg 2 also had much improved interior and trim bits, sunroof, steering, etc. They also seem much nicer to drive... "crisper" and more precise (for as heavy as they are).

To make it work, you'd almost need the entire drivetrain from the later ones, and who knows what all you'd run into changing it over.

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SEL (totaled), 2013 Touareg Executive
But if he's talking about putting a T2 V6 into a T1 V6'd body, weren't they the same engine?

oilhammer

TDI
But if he's talking about putting a T2 V6 into a T1 V6'd body, weren't they the same engine?
No, they were not. Well, again, not all of them.

While there are multiple engine codes, the early VR6, like a BMX, is very different than the later VR6, like a BHK.

Couple different V6 diesels, too.

Since he was talking about "cheap T1s,", I took that to mean VR6 and V8 models, especially the VR6, since once those chuck chains, they are virtually only worth scrap value.

Even my friend's perfectly cared for T2 V8 only got him $4500 trade in, and it was in perfect order, $65k MSRP. Talk about a money fire... :rolleyes:

dogdots

Vendor
TDI
None
I payed $5500 for my VR6 T1 with 100k miles, my wife drove it to 186k until the front differential got noisy, and I wholesaled it to CarMax for $2000 to make sure it didn't end up with anyone local. Fast forward a couple of months and my old T1 was at Richard's shop getting new fuel pumps :p and still had a noisy front diff.

We got lucky and dodged the bullet on the driveshaft issue, cam chain issues, etc. It was the cost of a new front diff that pushed it over the edge. We replaced it with an X5 35d and couldn't be happier.

BTW I am 6'3" and got real tired of crashing my head on the roof of that T1 every time I got in to drive it.

Hasenwerk

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
1982 Cabriolet (BEW|VNT17|Stage4), 1989 VW TriStar Syncro soon-to-be CR TDI (CBEA), 2001 Ford Ranger Edge 4x4 (ALH|VNT17|R520|Stage4)
Wow, I guess I wrote a confusing post!

Here it is in the simplest of terms:
I have a 2012 3L V6 TDI motor available to me. What model T1 transmission will it bolt onto, the V6 or the V8 or both or none?

oilhammer

TDI
Short answer: none. Looking at ETKA, it looks like every engine gets its own bellhousing.