TDI in to a Wrangler, Where to start?

Volks09Wagen

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta TDI, Manual
I currently own a 1999 Jeep Wrangler that has seen better days. It runs and I mainly use it as a winter beater right now. I would say on a good day it gets around 13 mpg. Not very impressive since I bought my 09 Jetta TDI. This made me think, cant I just throw a 2.0L TDI engine in to my wrangler? I know there are a few threads on this, but I have no idea where to start! I have seen some OEM TDI engines on ebay for around $2000-$5000 for starters. I am not sure how much modification it will take to put in, or even if it will work. Also, my price tag on the project? Right now I am thinking i should save anywhere from $5-10k for this project. I honestly want this to be a pretty simple project, but I know it wont be.

Does anyone have some advice as to where I should start with something like this?

mcneil

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI 4dr, 2001 Jetta TDI, Jeep TDI project
My 2000 TJ build is in my signature, that may offer you some insight.
As expensive as it is, I recommend the HPA conversion unless it just can't work for you, or you feel you've got something to prove (or in my case, both).

If you got a 2.0TDI for $3500, I'd guess you could get the swap done for just around $10k.

Volks09Wagen

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta TDI, Manual
Ooo. I checked this thread out already! Great build! Thanks though for the tips.

You mean to use the bracket setup by HPA motorsports?http://www.cotybuilt.com/index.html

I have looked in to them as well. I just figured that with the 2.0TDI, it would be easier for me, since thats whats in my 2009 Jetta. I wonder if I can use those brackets and just modifiy them for the 2.0? I should e-mail them.

Also, I found a company in Canada who sells OEM 2.0TDIs. Last I checked it was around $2500. I will see if i can find the site....

mcneil

Veteran Member
TDI
Huh.. looks like HPA spun off a brand that's more off-roadish? But yep, that's it.

Also check out Dsmart's TJ/HPA build. It's an ALH but it's probably the cleanest build you'll see.

There's less room than you'd think in the Jeep, especially for clearance around the front axle & driveshaft.

You'd probably be the first 2.0TDI in a Jeep, I don't think I've ever seen another one. There's others around this forum with experience with 2.0TDI swaps, you should read those threads even though it's non-jeep.

Volks09Wagen

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta TDI, Manual

mcneil

Veteran Member
TDI
If you've got to work on a budget, stick with a known combo (eg, TJ with ALH). The expensive part about breaking new ground isn't the cost of parts you use, it's the cost of parts you don't use. All of the "welp, that's not going to work" experiences add up. You balance the cost of erroneous purchases vs the manufacturer's markup on a kit.

And don't forget the cost of hardware - you can't buy just one M8x1.0x35 SHCS, even if you only need one. Packs of 10, 25, 100, etc.. at this point I probably have about $500 worth of leftover bolts, nuts, fittings & clamps

Volks09Wagen

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta TDI, Manual
Yeah, I can see that being a very big issue. I just dont want to have $6k stashed away for this, start on the project, blow my budget and have a usless Jeep, and 2 motors laying around with no money to put it back together. I guess its my biggest fear with this project right now.

So if I have a more relastic goal of $8k-$10k, and need some extra parts, I can make it happen.

Thank you for all of the advice so far.