Gen 2 Fix Approved

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE with nav (totaled)
dude, no fix + payment is way better deal. the fix isn't good In cold weather :eek:

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
I was counting on the fix. Anyone who got the buyback make a case to get their sales tax refunded from the original purchase? Seems fair, doesn't it?
There are a few states where the existing language in the sales tax law makes refunds possible (VT or NH is an example), but most states— no. There is no case in my state (IL) where sales tax refund is possible due to the buyback. And fairness isn't an issue, because it isn't a state's problem. This issue is between the Federals Government and VWAG. So when we turn this Passat in next year and buy new, it's going to be 6.25% tax. C'est la vie.

BroncoAZ

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Touareg Lux, 2015 Passat 6MT, 2009 Jetta (long gone), 2011 Touareg (bought back 02/18)
In a couple of states I’ve purchased cars in (AZ, NV, CO) you get to offset the sales tax for the amount of the trade in/buyback. If I trade my Touareg in on another vehicle at the VW dealer the first $36K of the purchase of the new would be tax free. If fixed Touareg are available by February I may be doing just that with my 2011.

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
In a couple of states I’ve purchased cars in (AZ, NV, CO) you get to offset the sales tax for the amount of the trade in/buyback. If I trade my Touareg in on another vehicle at the VW dealer the first $36K of the purchase of the new would be tax free. If fixed Touareg are available by February I may be doing just that with my 2011.
Yes, we have this in IL, too— on a trade-in. IL does not count the buyback as a trade-in, and I believe that this is the case in most states.

BroncoAZ

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Touareg Lux, 2015 Passat 6MT, 2009 Jetta (long gone), 2011 Touareg (bought back 02/18)
Yes, we have this in IL, too— on a trade-in. IL does not count the buyback as a trade-in, and I believe that this is the case in most states.
One of the options on the portal for my Touareg is Trade-in. My local dealer confirmed that there would be a sales tax offset. I briefly considered a new Atlas before I purchased my 2015 Passat recently.

nachomax

TDI
2012 Passat SE 6MT
There are a few states where the existing language in the sales tax law makes refunds possible (VT or NH is an example), but most states— no. There is no case in my state (IL) where sales tax refund is possible due to the buyback. And fairness isn't an issue, because it isn't a state's problem. This issue is between the Federals Government and VWAG. So when we turn this Passat in next year and buy new, it's going to be 6.25% tax. C'est la vie.

Yeah, 9.5% sales tax here in the L.A. region is steep, especially when you had no plans on buying a car in a long time. :mad:

I've had my Duramax since December of 2004 and have no plans to sell it anytime soon.

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Yeah, 9.5% sales tax here in the L.A. region is steep, especially when you had no plans on buying a car in a long time. :mad:

I've had my Duramax since December of 2004 and have no plans to sell it anytime soon.
As I recall, on my visits to that area, prices were generally pretty steep. My only point was that there is no basis for claiming a sales tax exemption from a state (unless it's already incorporated into their statutes), since they're only incidentally involved in Dieselgate.

As for keeping your Duramax— good plan! As a general rule, and car that can be kept and driven and still works for you is the best and greenest vehicle going. Apart from our Passat (which is getting bought back next year), out other car is pushing 14 years old and 200K miles, still going strong, and we plan to keep driving it.

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
It does seem fair.

I was really hoping for a fix also, a real bummer. Not sure if I will keep it or not. To clarify, at this point if we keep them there is no extended warranty, only the restitution payment of 5ish k?
Nope, no extended warranty, NO restitution payment. Your options are (1) do nothing and get nothing - no warranty, not one red cent of compensation, or (2) go through the buyback and get the full payment, so that VW can shred the car, or (3) hire your own lawyer. Good luck with that.

For anything other than some exceptional circumstance that I can't think of, (2) is the best choice.

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
#1 pretend nothing happened, hit up Malone and your golden

paramedick

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor
TDI
2015 Audi Q5 TDI
#1 pretend nothing happened, hit up Malone and your golden
Yeah, for the performance issues. However, be prepared for EVERY problem to be met with “I’m Sorry, but your warranty has expired and we no longer support this car.”

Their letter is an oblique announcement of this. They generously offered to make you whole on this car. If you decline........I don’t think you will find a sympathetic judge.

It breaks my heart, but I just transmitted the final document for my Passat. Cheryl has been driving it since we turned in the 09 Jetta. With her current short drive, diesel doesn’t make sense anymore. Especially with the problems for the past few years. We may go for a gasser VW, but probably not. A Kia or Hyundai makes more sense due to the warranty.

The only good thing is I’ll receive more buyback than I paid for it. I’ll make a bit more selling off the custom bits purchased for it.

We’re still TDI, but nothing more current than pump deuse.

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
rough decision for sure, I'm currently driving a Hyundai sonata hybrid rental because some chick ran a stop sign and totaled my civic, man- its not even half the car as my Passat.