'10 GOLF TDI, NO HEAT (passenger side), Driver side gets HEAT? Clogged heater core.

RomanL

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 GOLF TDI
So, i just posted in OBD SCANNERS section as well (included some vag-com screen shots + codes)
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=435447
But there's the issue

When its Cold outside, and vehicle is at full operating temp:
No matter which setting im on (Front Vent, Floor Vents, Defroster, Mix of either). DRIVER side (front vents, defrost, floor, back passenger floor/centerv vents) all get great HEAT,
but PASSENGER side stays cold.
it literally feels as if someone drew a line down the middle of m car:
HEAT on the left & NO HEAT on the right.

any ideas?

thanks

EDIT:
Car '10 GOLF TDI 123,4xx miles (Options: cold weather package, bi-xenons+fogs, 6MT)

Tinman265

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagen Sunroof/Nav Platnium Grey Metallic, Titan Black Interior, 6 speed manual. Took the buyback 1-6-17 - Loan payoff 1-17-17
sorry... Just re-read... Nothing to add

RomanL

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 GOLF TDI
^^^ thansk, yup exact same issue in my car.
weird that its so similar between GOLF and PASSAT,
does anyone know if they share same AC/Heater core parts? etc?
anyone having same issue in their GOLF's of JSW's?
thanks

RomanL

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 GOLF TDI
^^^ Also found someone with a GOLF in that thread,
but it's not been a common issue with GOLF's is that right? does anyone know if they do share Heater Core part?

mikec944

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf w/Tech
First thing to check and easiest...make sure the cabin filter is installed correctly. There have been issues with them being installed wrong and causing temperature differences between driver and passenger sides.

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
First thing to check and easiest...make sure the cabin filter is installed correctly. There have been issues with them being installed wrong and causing temperature differences between driver and passenger sides.
This /\

I've heard similar stories and it turned out to be the cabin filter was not properly installed. Tech just jammed the filter in and called it good. Filter turned out to only be half way up the rest was just squashed from it getting caught up on something.

Filter replaced and all was well afterwards :cool:

RomanL

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 GOLF TDI
funny you mention this.
This was the case the very first time i had HEAT/COLD issues, but if i remember correct it was just in the Passenger footwell area.

I did check, and this is not the case this time around. I have no Heat anywhere on the right side of the car. Seems like its same issue as with everyone else have Heat Core issues and needing replacement.

mikec944

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf w/Tech
Damn. Was hoping for another easy fix.

You could check the temperature of the two heater core pipes/hoses and compare the two.

CG-Lock Racer

TDI
2011 Golf TDI
Finally just joined the forum. I have a 2011 Golf TDI, 116k miles, with this exact problem. Driver's side face vent very hot and gets progressively cooler in the center vents, to cold on the far passenger side vent.

I have flushed both the cooling system and flushed the heater core with CLR (heater core only with CLR). No change. Cabin filter is fine. I also borrowed a borescope and checked the ducting for obstructions and flapper movement. I will be replacing the heater core next, hopefully this weekend. I'll try and let you know what happens.

FYI, you have to pull the cover for the heater core to identify which one you have. For the '11, there are options for Valeo or Denso. The cover is above the driver's right shin and held on by 3 screws. My car had a manufacture date of 9/10 and has a Denso unit. Even the dealer couldn't tell me which one to order with the VIN.

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
I'm really curious what's the root cause of the lack of heat. Unless one side of the heater core is plugged up on the side that provides heat to the passenger side?

If you do end up replacing the heater core yourself see if you can cut the old one in half to see if there's any buildup of gunk or something.

mikec944

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf w/Tech
I'm really curious what's the root cause of the lack of heat. Unless one side of the heater core is plugged up on the side that provides heat to the passenger side?

If you do end up replacing the heater core yourself see if you can cut the old one in half to see if there's any buildup of gunk or something.
If it is the heater core, my thought is that the vent chambers that split between driver and passenger at the heater core, split right at clog. It would be interesting to see the heater box disassembled and how it directs air, etc. I've looked at a few schematics and they don't show enough detail on air flow.

Agreed...it would be nice to see the old core cut in half.

I wonder if there was an update on the core and this issue only occurs on the earlier mk6's.

RomanL

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 GOLF TDI
Finally just joined the forum. I have a 2011 Golf TDI, 116k miles, with this exact problem. Driver's side face vent very hot and gets progressively cooler in the center vents, to cold on the far passenger side vent.

I have flushed both the cooling system and flushed the heater core with CLR (heater core only with CLR). No change. Cabin filter is fine. I also borrowed a borescope and checked the ducting for obstructions and flapper movement. I will be replacing the heater core next, hopefully this weekend. I'll try and let you know what happens.

FYI, you have to pull the cover for the heater core to identify which one you have. For the '11, there are options for Valeo or Denso. The cover is above the driver's right shin and held on by 3 screws. My car had a manufacture date of 9/10 and has a Denso unit. Even the dealer couldn't tell me which one to order with the VIN.
Yup im at 123,456 miles as of Tuesday.

I just dropped my car at the shop this morning for a different problem. (1st Glow plus pressure sensor went bad, so getting that replaced) i spoke with my mechanic about Heater Core while at it, and replacing Heater Core is an expensive job.

Are you doing it yourself? Dealer? independent shop>

Once done, could you please post all the details/part #'s and total cost?

thanks and good luck.

Trbdubin

TDI
2012 Golf TDI
I had the same issue couple weeks ago. I had extended warranty until 75000 miles. It happened at 74xxx. So I thought I was covered. Dropped the car off at the dealer and they said there was blockage somewhere. Tried to flush it but no luck so they had to replace the heater core. The extended warranty company denied the repair since the heater core wasn't broken or leaking. The service advisor said it is just cut and dry. He called VWoA and they agreed to cover the part but I still had to pay for labor. I think the labor was around $250. Not sure exactly since I had other things done to do car. I'll check the invoice and will update this post. Apparently the heater core on these cars is not as bad to replace as other older models since in these cars you don't have to take the whole dashboard apart.

Sent from my iPhone

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
I had the same issue couple weeks ago. I had extended warranty until 75000 miles. It happened at 74xxx. So I thought I was covered. Dropped the car off at the dealer and they said there was blockage somewhere. Tried to flush it but no luck so they had to replace the heater core. The extended warranty company denied the repair since the heater core wasn't broken or leaking. The service advisor said it is just cut and dry. He called VWoA and they agreed to cover the part but I still had to pay for labor. I think the labor was around $250. Not sure exactly since I had other things done to do car. I'll check the invoice and will update this post. Apparently the heater core on these cars is not as bad to replace as other older models since in these cars you don't have to take the whole dashboard apart.

Sent from my iPhone
That's good news!
Let us know the run down of the invoice when you get a chance.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
The heater cores are likely clogging either because there is casting material remaining in the block that builds up in the core over time (a la Ford 6.0 Powerstroke), or there is an issue with the G12++ coolant formulation and it is clogging the core (a la GM Dexcool). I suppose another possibility is a design flaw in the core itself, but I'm leaning toward one of the other two possibilities.

If anyone has a bad core that they are replacing, please cut it open or send it to me and I'll cut it open. So far most of the Passat cores have been replaced under warranty, and VW wants all of the bad ones back.

As to why the passenger's side gets cool first, my understanding is that the core is situated in such a way that the air that goes through the core where coolant enters is delivered to the driver's side vents. Air that goes through the core where coolant exits is delivered to the passenger's side vents. When you get a coolant restriction, the coolant runs out of heat before it reaches the end of the core.

I hope this info helps. Please correct me if I'm mistaken about any of the above... we'd all like to get to the bottom of this.

Trbdubin

TDI
2012 Golf TDI
So here is the info from my invoice.
They performed a test and the heater core was restricted. They replaced the following parts: 3C0819031A - heatercore and 3C0898380 -gasket set. The parts were covered by Volkswagen as a onetime goodwill. The parts were 224.38 and labor (which I had to pay) was 208.11. After they replaced the parts they refilled the engine coolant and rechecked everything.

So how I said before it wasn't as much as I expected to be. I hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone

RomanL

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 GOLF TDI
So here is the info from my invoice.
They performed a test and the heater core was restricted. They replaced the following parts: 3C0819031A - heatercore and 3C0898380 -gasket set. The parts were covered by Volkswagen as a onetime goodwill. The parts were 224.38 and labor (which I had to pay) was 208.11. After they replaced the parts they refilled the engine coolant and rechecked everything.

So how I said before it wasn't as much as I expected to be. I hope this helps.
Sent from my iPhone
great, thanks.
any chance they listed HOURS for work next to Heater Core?

because i called 1 local Denver dealler who said WORK alone would be $1700 !!!!
if by any chance you can post a copy of your invoice that would be very helpfull (you can block out personal info/vin if you want) this way i could take a copy of this to a dealer and ask them why they tried to quote me $1700 on the same job??

thanks

Trbdubin

TDI
2012 Golf TDI
'10 GOLF TDI, NO HEAT (passenger side only), Driver side gets HEAT. ????

They quoted 2 hours it took them little over 2 hours. The rate per hour is $92.10
They had trouble putting the new part in for some reason. 1700 is outrageous way too much

Sent from my iPhone

RomanL

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 GOLF TDI
ok thanks,
i'm going to call around other dealers.
so they were 100% sure that there's no need to tear out whole dash to get to the heater core? did you ask if they accessed it from inside (passenger footwell / center console area?) or from outsed (under the hood/underneath the car?) thanks

Trbdubin

TDI
2012 Golf TDI
They did not specify how they accessed the heater core. I told my service advisor I was very concerned that it would be a very big job (labor wise) since I thought they had to take apart the whole dashboard and he said on the cars they don't have to do that like on other older models and originally he quoted it would probably be $600-$650. My assumption it would be they replaced it from the inside. If you would like to call them and find out little bit more the dealership name is Garnett Volkswagen in chads ford pa. Their phone number is 6103618500. In my opinion it is a very good dealership. I bought my other Vw from a different dealership (smith in Delaware) and I was happy with them but garnet is way better inmho. Even though I know a bunch of guys at smith and it seems they are in the right direction and the service department has improved since I stopped going there.

Sent from my iPhone

RomanL

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 GOLF TDI
They did not specify how they accessed the heater core. I told my service advisor I was very concerned that it would be a very big job (labor wise) since I thought they had to take apart the whole dashboard and he said on the cars they don't have to do that like on other older models and originally he quoted it would probably be $600-$650. My assumption it would be they replaced it from the inside. If you would like to call them and find out little bit more the dealership name is Garnett Volkswagen in chads ford pa. Their phone number is 6103618500. In my opinion it is a very good dealership. I bought my other Vw from a different dealership (smith in Delaware) and I was happy with them but garnet is way better inmho. Even though I know a bunch of guys at smith and it seems they are in the right direction and the service department has improved since I stopped going there.

Sent from my iPhone
great thanks, i'll give them a call.
I guess one last question, any chance you remember the name of your service advisor or tech? otherwise i'll just ask around
thanks

Trbdubin

TDI
2012 Golf TDI
The service advisor is Jeff Adams. Not sure on the tech. May be Brandon?! Jeff know his stuff I always talk to him and he takes great care of mine and my gf cars.

Sent from my iPhone

RomanL

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 GOLF TDI
Update: so after calling few dealers locally they all seemed to think that removing dash was required to replace heater core .

1 call to a performance (VW, AUDI, BMW) shop and he was able to confirm it would be about 3 hr job in labor + part. (no dash removal needed)
i havent scheduled anythign yet, but once i have this done at some point i'll post details.

CG-Lock Racer

TDI
2011 Golf TDI
No. I attempted again Friday night. I have a copy of the factory service manuals from a friend. There is a bolt between the heater core hoses that go into the firewall. It is in a deep pocket and I cannot figure out what type it is, 12pt, torx, hex, etc. The manual says to loosen that bolt, but not remove, to give some room to move the metal pipes that lead to the heater core. I tried without loosening the bolt and there is not enough room to move the pipes to separate the heater core from the two pipes. I am going to try again sometime this week if time permits.