www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIII-A3/B4 TDIs

VW MKIII-A3/B4 TDIs This is a discussion about MKIII-A3/MkIII Jetta/Golf (<99.5) and B4 Passats (96,97) TDI's. Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed.

Old October 15th, 2017, 12:23   #6601
Steve Addy
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 97 Mk3

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvmydiesels View Post
i placed an order from napa online, the shipping was slow; on getting package, i was disappointed. i had ordered a water pump, seems this pos is plastic, nfg. they superseded part, perhaps recently, prev pump was metal. no more. pos. no use to me. i had also ordered a gasket, this gasket in the pic appeared to be the metal type, on getting it turns out to be paper. went down to my local napa store, parts guy takes a look, its a metal pic, part# is the same. i ve had some, usually minor problems with napa, and its parts. i ve typically had more problems with other suppliers, and napa prices have been reasonable. not only are their quality of parts declining, they are now giving inaccurate info, and less info on parts. not very happy. then again its the evolution, or declining-evolution most if not all business take since, i-dont-know-when; been younger. worried at how much several cents can make them over how many thousands of (individual) sold items, compounded,added over total inventory and such.

the other week i bought rear wheel bearings, thought i was getting quality parts, that i thought i had ordered. the inners are still fag, slovacia made, good enough quality, for me. the outers about same price, should be same quality ended up being made in japan. not really happy in this change of mfg, quality.
I have very good luck with Rock Auto, apparently you do not. I'm not particularly happy with Napa but that's more due to their website sucking badly and their slow to get parts shipped in.

As for the metal WP gasket, it is a different part number, but some retailers use incorrect images with their parts, you have to know what you're looking for and then be wary of pictures.

Steve

You didn't poison the coffee, did you? Not anymore than I usually do.
Steve Addy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2017, 20:56   #6602
Windex
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: ʎɯouoɔƎ lǝnℲ

It's because of your lack of capitalization.

Had you used capital letters, you would not have received substandard parts.

Proudly installing things where they're not supposed to go since 1996!

Last edited by Windex; October 15th, 2017 at 20:58.
Windex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2017, 04:22   #6603
Col Sanders
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 51 mpg last time I checked it. Audi no numbers yet.

Not a big NAPA fan here! I use the paper gasket that comes with the water pump. Put a little white RTV on both sides, good to go. I use ID Parts, metal impeller, never a problem. Windex you are a funny guy. I fell out of my chair laughing when I saw your keyboard reply.
Col Sanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2017, 21:30   #6604
Abacus
That helpful B4 guy

Fuel Economy: And the miles just keep ticking away

The reports of my demise were slightly exaggerated, but not by much.

My apologies for not being on here much lately, but with the new job that keeps me hopping most of the time, family issues at home, a close death in the family, a computer that died, and battling depression, life sort of took a back seat, and that includes the TDI's and anything TDI related. Needless to say, I made some life changes and am getting back on track.

Steve Addy, your injectors are incoming, along with a little something and my apologies for taking so long. They were cleaned in the ultrasonic and then tested with the pop tester. They were a mess from all the carbon and one of the needles was stuck but I was able to get it out alternating between the pop tester and ultrasonic with de-carboning fluid in it a few times, and then using a rare earth magnet to remove it. It's fine now. All pop normally with great spray patterns.

My B4 sedan still has a boost limit issue where it won't go above 15 psi. This is with the new hybrid turbo but the old one did it as well. I can't find a boost leak and all hoses are good, replaced N75, etc, etc. The glow plugs also stopped working and I suspect the maxi-fuse. It failed inspection so I replaced the rear brakes, hard brake lines, flex lines, and proportioning valve. Now one of the calipers has a boot that came off so the piston is corroded. Time for the upgrade.

The wagon (Windex's old one) is off the road currently. I blew the rear struts last summer and bought new Bilstein HD's but have not put them in yet. W386 removed the interior for me and found a gaping hole on the strut tower near the fuel tank, so now the fuel tank has to come out to be repaired. It should be easy since it has the new stainless tank straps that were just put on last year. The winter sand/salt mix sat on top of the fuel tank fill hose and just rotted the metal away. It also needs another timing belt since it's 6K overdue. I have all the parts just lacked the motivation over the last 5 months to work on it. It also needs a new rear caliper since one of the boots is torn.

W386's wagon is still going strong but needs the muffler repaired. We put all new brakes all the way around on it and he had the windshield frame repaired. I've done a bunch of other stuff on it over the last 9 months but can't remember now, my memory is like trying to look back through the fog. My back still hasn't fully healed from replacing the floorboards last year and more than a few hours doing the VW calisthenics hurts for days.

My younger brother's B4 hasn't needed much, although he did stop by a few weeks ago. I was able to fix his headlight issue (missing fuse), both front door handles, and a few other minor things. I need to replace his timing belt and IP soon.

My older brother finally broke down and bought a B7 TDI rather than trying to fix his B4. Usually I am roped into fixing it for him over most of a week so it'll pass inspection, but this year I told him I was just plain unable to do it. He finally got his '82 Westy TD back on the road and only wanted one hobbyist vehicle, so that won.

Revkev has injector issues that were causing problems. I warned him not to go with Prothe again but he did anyway. There was nothing I could do to make them run correctly. He needs a heater core replaced but I flat out refused. I hate doing that to someone in need but I've done them before and can't afford to spend 14-16 hours replacing it. I actually haven't seen in much in months since he's been busy as well.

I have not worked on other TDI's since it was simply too much for me to deal with. But that page has turned and things are definitely looking up. I'll be on here more often and will help where I can, but I'm not doing side work if I can help it since too many other things suffered as a result, with the main one being myself. I feel like I just woke up from being in a coma for 6+ months.
Abacus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2017, 22:42   #6605
Steve Addy
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 97 Mk3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abacus View Post
The reports of my demise were slightly exaggerated, but not by much.
That's good, have been wondering where you got to although I knew that you were likely held captive by this new job.

Quote:
Steve Addy, your injectors are incoming, along with a little something and my apologies for taking so long. They were cleaned in the ultrasonic and then tested with the pop tester. They were a mess from all the carbon and one of the needles was stuck but I was able to get it out alternating between the pop tester and ultrasonic with de-carboning fluid in it a few times, and then using a rare earth magnet to remove it. It's fine now. All pop normally with great spray patterns.
I feel badly now about asking you to do them, my request was never meant to become a problem. I know what you mean when you say you have to tell people you can't do things, I have a friend who bought a Mk4 tdi wagon and I've just had to say no as well even though I hate it. I spent far too much time (donated) on his Mk1 diesel project that eventually became a 76 Rabbit diesel conversion and I had to put the foot down.

I knew at some point you would get to them, kind of why I only asked about them a couple times. Glad you got them done although it sounds like they were a pita!

Quote:
The wagon (Windex's old one) is off the road currently. I blew the rear struts last summer and bought new Bilstein HD's but have not put them in yet. W386 removed the interior for me and found a gaping hole on the strut tower near the fuel tank, so now the fuel tank has to come out to be repaired. It should be easy since it has the new stainless tank straps that were just put on last year. The winter sand/salt mix sat on top of the fuel tank fill hose and just rotted the metal away. It also needs another timing belt since it's 6K overdue. I have all the parts just lacked the motivation over the last 5 months to work on it. It also needs a new rear caliper since one of the boots is torn.
Which side do you need? I have a new rear caliper laying about that I'll never use.

Quote:
I have not worked on other TDI's since it was simply too much for me to deal with. But that page has turned and things are definitely looking up. I'll be on here more often and will help where I can, but I'm not doing side work if I can help it since too many other things suffered as a result, with the main one being myself. I feel like I just woke up from being in a coma for 6+ months.
I know the back problems you speak of very well from my own experiences, not looking forward to getting under the wagon anytime soon though, my Mk3 will need some welding work on the floor but I can't do it now, I hit a woodchuck a week ago last sunday on a group bike ride going 21 mph and it flipped me over. I slid down the street about 20' before coming to a stop. I can't do much of anything right now..lol. Less than 500 miles on the new bike too..:-(

Glad to have you back on the forum Mark.

Steve

You didn't poison the coffee, did you? Not anymore than I usually do.
Steve Addy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2017, 01:25   #6606
lisab4
Veteran Member

Take your time to recover Abacus! And don't be afraid to seek help in battling depression. I know from experience :/
Old October 19th, 2017, 05:08   #6607
steves96tdi

Dito, On Glad to have you back!
Amsoil Dealer #206107
steves96tdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2017, 07:11   #6608
mrbrefast
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 54 highway/37 city

Quote:
But that page has turned and things are definitely looking up. I'll be on here more often and will help where I can, but I'm not doing side work if I can help it since too many other things suffered as a result, with the main one being myself. I feel like I just woke up from being in a coma for 6+ months.
I have not been on this particular forum in many, many moons. Didn't know you weren't feeling well, but I very much am heartened to hear that you're now feeling better.

Wellness in general is a struggle, but the black dog of depression has a tendency to lurk at the doorway even after we think it has been chased off (I too know this all too well, personally). I am hoping that you have a support network in place local to you where you can get assistance with continuing to chase that damned dog off, as many times as it takes. As frustrating as humanity CONSISTENTLY is... it ends up being a team game anyways, so finding viable teammates makes all the difference, in my experience.

Perhaps next time I am in Maine (see below) I will try and stop by and buy you some dinner!

______

I believe I mentioned previously that in December 2016 I traded for a 2016 Nissan Titan XD with the new Cummins 5.0L V8 motor. And it has been fantastic over these ~21,300 miles drive in fewer than 11 months of ownership (!).

Best yet: 21.6mpg highway with the 7700 off-road trim (therefore lifted) monster. Comfortably get ~18.5 most commutes with stop and go, easy to top 20mpg at ~67mph cruise control.

It ain't no B4 with a stick shift for MPG... but on the other hand, I can tow the moon back into orbit if needed AND it is the first vehicle I've yet owned that I actually fit into, at 6'4". Trade-offs.

It must be said: Mark and others here, my continuing gratitude for the patience and helpfulness as I learned how to work on cars for the first time, with my B4V which was my first car... predominately using the accumulated wisdom and helpfulness of folks on this forum. Heartfelt and ongoing: THANK YOU.

Obligatory thread for my truck:

More details and pictures (of course) here.

Obligatory exciting news about the truck: I intend in ~2020 March to embark upon an off-road camping trip through all 50 states in a row (plus diagonally across Canada to get to Alaska from NE Ohio, to start off). Well, Hawaii will be flown to because the full 50 state set requires it. Maybe I will take a lug nut from the truck with me so it "made it" with me to all 50. I have settled on a design and will basically have this rooftop tent atop the ladder rack and then fabricate things like a fold-out kitchen and such to make for quick and easy camping regardless of campsite, parking lot, or the side of an abandoned road.

All of these things I actually tried to do with my B4V (like the tent camping trip to Maine when I met Mark in person during the 2013 blizzard in Bar Harbor!......... or the -18 degrees I tent camped in Vermont that February and woke up the next morning to find a racoon had frozen to death along the path back to the car)... and boy it is going to be easier with my truck and things like "4x4" and "more than zero ground clearance" and "550+ fl-lbs of torque to get out of mud" and the like. To quote the philosopher Biggie Smalls: "things done changed."

Very excite, and only capable of the mechanical skills involved because of this forum/this thread

She'll hold together (hear me baby: hold together)
mrbrefast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2017, 11:01   #6609
Abacus
That helpful B4 guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Addy View Post
That's good, have been wondering where you got to although I knew that you were likely held captive by this new job.
Yes, it has definitely held me captive, much different from the old one. It has its benefits though and the amount I'm learning is incredible despite being in the field for 25 years already.

Quote:
I feel badly now about asking you to do them, my request was never meant to become a problem.

I knew at some point you would get to them, kind of why I only asked about them a couple times. Glad you got them done although it sounds like they were a pita!
Don't feel bad a bit, it's my fault for not addressing them sooner. I never intended to be in the state I was or I wouldn't have offered. It was unrealized until I was firmly rooted in it, and it took getting to the brink that I realized where I was and that I didn't want to be there. I've always battled demons from my time in the Army, it's a silent burden many of us have, but I've always guarded against it internally. I've taken steps to change things and hopefully prevent it from recurring, which is so far working, but it's a slow climb.

Quote:
I know what you mean when you say you have to tell people you can't do things, I have a friend who bought a Mk4 tdi wagon and I've just had to say no as well even though I hate it. I spent far too much time (donated) on his Mk1 diesel project that eventually became a 76 Rabbit diesel conversion and I had to put the foot down.
Yes, it's an alien concept to me since I've always been willing to help. I think I helped too much and it got the better of me, coupled with other factors. I did the same at work much to their chagrin and dismay, but they'll work me into oblivion if I let them, the same with most companies.

Quote:

Which side do you need? I have a new rear caliper laying about that I'll never use.
I am in need of the passengers side.

Quote:
Glad to have you back on the forum Mark.

Steve
Thank you. Things honestly feel new to me now, like I'm seeing them for the first time. It's kinda weird.
Old Yesterday, 05:39   #6610
Windex
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: ʎɯouoɔƎ lǝnℲ

Glad to see you back and doing better Mark. Looking forward to future updates/antics on the old girl.

Proudly installing things where they're not supposed to go since 1996!
Windex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 08:22   #6611
Abacus
That helpful B4 guy

We were scheduled to head to PEI for the weekend and were going to take the wife's 2014 Kia Sorento but received word on Thursday that the stealership didn't have the wheel bearing in stock, so her car wouldn't be ready in time. Never mind that we called when scheduling the appointment a week prior and told them that another SAE mechanic, who just put new tires and alignment on it, said it would need one. It's still under warranty at 116,000 miles which is why we didn't have the work done elsewhere or I didn't do it myself.

Anyway, since the wagon is up on jackstands with the interior torn apart (which is too bad because it's a highway cruiser due to the 6 speed), it meant we'd have to take the sedan. The sedan was mostly ready but I had to do some small things to it that needed work, so I started tackling those around 9PM Thursday nite. I installed the grab handles, installed the interior lights, polished the headlights, installed the ODIN skid plate, checked all the fluids, adjusted the brake proportioning valve, repaired the passenger's rear window wiring harness, and tried diagnosing the boost issue to no avail. It'll boost fine to 15 psi but not above, but will fuel to 20 psi, so it smokes like a coal train at higher rpm's, which I hate. It wasn't until 3AM and I'd put everything away that I realized I forgot to cap the ECU hose port on the intercooler pipe, which is why it wouldn't build pressure to check for leaks. I also downloaded and checked the Vag-Com program on the new laptop, just in case.

I got a little sleep around 4AM and then loaded the car with 12 big bags of cat food (it's 4x the price on the Island), 2 comforters, and 6 big boxes of chocolates destined for the Island, along with our gear and some tools. We struck out and 520 miles later arrived without a hitch on PEI. It's nice not having to fuel up all the time like with her Kia and we won''t have to refuel until back in the US. Diesel in Canada is about $1 a gallon higher than the US, taking into account the exchange rate.

One of our cousins here decided to hit a pick-n-pull junkyard and asked if I wanted to go. I haven't been to a junkyard in over a year so I agreed since the sedan has tan interior door handles and a black interior from TDIDaveNH. I'd also like to find the knee bolster storage trays that were only available in Canada. There were no B4's in the yard but there was an A3 TDI and an automatic A4 TDI with an 11mm IP. We went back and asked about the fuel pump and were told $35, so I had it out in 15 minutes, complete with wiring harness and hard lines. Once we returned to the counter the guy said he thought it was an in-tank fuel pump and had to charge more...$40.

I'm still smiling. I have one I bought from Windex when I got the wagon but have not installed it yet. Now I can put one in the wagon and the sedan, and since I have to do a timing belt on the wagon anyway. Happy days.

Last edited by Abacus; Today at 11:05.
Old Today, 16:11   #6612
ToddA1
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Dismal

Good score and good to see you back!

-Todd
ToddA1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 18:07   #6613
TonyJetta
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: A5: 36mpg Avg / A6: 39

Likewise, Glad to hear you are on the mend!

Tony
Diesel fleet: 2015 Jetta TDI SE DSG; 2006 Jetta, TDI, DSG-5sp Conversion; 2006 DC Cummins, CC/LB/DRW; 1996 Passat TDI, 5sp, Project car! Troubleshooting Links: Trusted TDI Mechanics IP Timing Timing Belt FAQ A3/B4 Low Power Cyl Head Repair Fault Codes What you have just read is an opinion...take it as you see fit!
TonyJetta is online now   Reply With Quote