What VAG steering wheels are compatible?

2000alhVW

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf
The steering wheel on my 2000 Golf is kinda crummy. It's disintegrating and leaves a gritty residue on my hand. Not very pleasant. Eh, whatever.

I was at my local "you pick it" junkyard a few months ago, and saw some MK4s with pretty decent condition steering wheels. At the time, I was looking at Golfs and Jettas, so they were all the 4 spoke wheels.
I looked up some videos on how to remove the steering wheel and airbag and saw the price at my junkyard is $13 for a steering wheel.

I went back today. Unfortunately, most of the steering wheels I found in MK4 cars were also worn. But I did peak into some other VAG cars. a MK5 Golf had a really nice steering wheel (and great condition leather seats!). Also a couple of early-mid 2000s Audis had really nice steering wheels.

What all is interchangeable?

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI 2000 Jetta TDI 2000 New Beetle TDI ALL 5 speeds
I made a 3 spoke from a Cabrio fit, had to drill an index hole for the clock spring and trim the skirt but I absolutely love it and it wasn't too expensive for the wheel and airbag...

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

drucifer

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 jetta sw tdi pd
I would think B5 B5.5 passat wheels would work. I know I've seen a 3 spoke audi wheel on an mk4. Here's a guy who swapped a mk5 wheel with steering wheel controls. I didnt see what he was putting it into. http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=399709
There's no reason why you couldnt try the swap at the junk yard to make sure the hardware and airbag connector matches up.

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
The only problem with that is getting the column turned enough to get the airbag out

2000alhVW

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf
The only problem with that is getting the column turned enough to get the airbag out

Yes! At first I thought the comment of "just try fitment out in the junkyard" was brilliant, then I remember why I didn't actually pull any of them yesterday. Because it's going to be very hard without the keys.

I do appreciate the replies though. When paying attention, I noticed lots of cars (including VWs) had their steering wheels removed, so it must not be impossible.
I'm going to keep my eye out for a nice Audi wheel since I'm not too much a fan of the 4 spoke deal.

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
Gti and golf wheels also have a nice 3 spoke too, since I went aftermarket stereo and didn't even try to make my steering wheel controls work I'm thinking about just getting rid of the 4 spoke for a 3 spoke non control wheel, it's just simple and nice.

RexNICO

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Tiguan, 2011 Q7
I have put
Various B5 Audi A4 “TIP” 3 spoke wheel
MK1 Audi TT 3 spoke wheel
MKV GTI Flat Bottom MFSW
MKVI GTI Flat Bottom MFSW

In my MKIV with little to know issue, though I did not try to make the buttons work on any of them.

My current favorite is the MKV GTI flat bottom, still sourcing the correct single stage air bag, but it has the best feel so far.

Prairie Chicken

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Jetta, 04 Jetta
Driving 4 spoke doesn't bother me, but I love the 3 spoke - works perfect when in my "lazy" driving position with arm resting on the top of the door or with window down.

My boys' wheels were really worn down and have replaced with Audi 3 spokes. The nice thing about the Audi wheels is the airbag can be easily removed with a torx bit (maybe a t15?) and don't have to turn the wheel to get to them. My usual salvage yard only charges $10 for the wheel but get you for the airbag at $30 after core return.

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
I need some spare steering wheels...I'd be curious to know how much trouble an Audi 3 spoke with controls would be to make work... someone's done it...

hitman1985

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Jetta TDI ALH
I have put
Various B5 Audi A4 “TIP” 3 spoke wheel
MK1 Audi TT 3 spoke wheel
MKV GTI Flat Bottom MFSW
MKVI GTI Flat Bottom MFSW

In my MKIV with little to know issue, though I did not try to make the buttons work on any of them.

My current favorite is the MKV GTI flat bottom, still sourcing the correct single stage air bag, but it has the best feel so far.

sent ya a message...

all mk3 thru mk6 wheels mounting wise are compatible, just depends on how savy the individual is with wiring / coding and the such.

i for example am running a mkv gli flat-bottom on my mkv rabbit and enabled the paddles to work with a 09g (non DSG) trans.

ive done swaps before but its all about researching what all will be ran. if its MFSW, proper modules are necessary and so on...

im working on a mkv flat bottom gti wheel swap for the mkiv tdi after i get my manual swap and kermatdi horsepower kits done...

PB_NB

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 New Beetle
I have a MK5 GLI wheel in the Beetle. I had to re and re the airbag connector and horn. The GLI wheel has paddle shifters and all the other buttons. (Came from a DSG GLI)

I was thinking about hooking up some NOS to the paddles :)