UHP all season tire question

Twitch

TDI
2003 gls jetta tdi 5 speed
Going to be ordering up tires soon for my 2003 jetta alh 5 speed. cars lowered on coilovers and i drive pretty spiritedly. I'm looking at getting a UHP (ultra high performance) season tire i do roughly 30-35k a year and am looking at getting either the cooper rs3-G1’s or the michelin pilot sport a/s in a 225/45/18 im wondering if anyone has run them on a tdi and liked them and how bad would these effect fuel mileage right now im getting around 32-36 and everything is new with maintence. Going to be doing nozzles and a tune soon to hopefully get some nore mpg and alil more power so im not constantly flooring it to get out of the way. Thnks for all the help in advance

gforce1108

Top Post Dawg
TDI
04 Jetta GLS BEW, 14 Audi A7 V6 TDI, 13 Porsche Cayenne V6 TDI
I'd worry more about why your currently MPGs are so low. You should be able to get low to mid 40s without even trying. But... unless you are going with some ultra sticky (and none of those will be "all season"), you will see little impact. Temperature seems to affect my mileage way more than what size tire I'm running. My Jetta runs 195/65/15 snows and 225/45/17 summers and still gets 44mpg minimum (I've gotten 47 max). Before I sold back the passat, I ran 205 - 16, 215 17s and 235 19s (don't remember the aspect ratios off the top of my head) and still got 46 average.

Twitch

TDI
I think its mostly cause i have the ac on full blast and a heavier right foot to compensate for the drag of running the and possibly stock injectors being worn with 200k on them im on 195/65/15 right now and probably around 35mpg and its mostly around town back farm roads. Going to do nozzles tune and some air mods and hopefully it will get into low to mid 40s ill be happy

hitman1985

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Jetta TDI ALH
I think its mostly cause i have the ac on full blast and a heavier right foot to compensate for the drag of running the and possibly stock injectors being worn with 200k on them im on 195/65/15 right now and probably around 35mpg and its mostly around town back farm roads. Going to do nozzles tune and some air mods and hopefully it will get into low to mid 40s ill be happy
Just to bug in; I'd check around the engine also as the previous reply suggested. Something doesn't sound right even with those tires I was getting 40+ in a 193k mile automatic 02 Jetta also ac on most of the time all that and mixed driving with a fuel pedal friendly size 12... count in I have a roof rack and sit on Koni Hawaii suspension. As far as tires goes I'd steer clean of stickies as it seems your in a warm climate to begin with; I racked 14k in the last 4ish months and just got another set of Antares ingens. Cheapo Wally world tires; they handled well on my 2 rabbits so I'll keep those going. My 2 cents tho

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Rob Mayercik

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS, Baltic Green/Beige
Heck, I'm doing 42 right now with .205 injectors on an 01M Automatic (stock is .158 for auto, .185 for manual, BTW), running with AC on the highway. It just seems like there's got to be something holding your MPG down.

Could you refresh my memory on whether you use your parking brake? Have you checked under the back and made sure the actuator levers on the rear calipers are all the way up to the rest stops when the brake is off? If not, get a mallet out and try to get them there - I need to replace the left-side rear caliper on mine, the parking brake mechanism in it is sticking (and yes, I have confirmed that the cables are NOT frozen in my case, it is conclusively the caliper's parking brake mechanism). I actually soaked it in PB Blaster and tapped on it with a hammer to force it to the full-release position and am not using the parking brake for now, think I picked up a solid 1-2MPG doing that and mine was only sticking at a lightly applied position. I could definitely feel an unusual level of heat coming off the LR wheel after driving before I found that mechanism stuck.

Also (and forgive me if this was asked and answered on the other thread you had on MPGs), since the car's been lowered has the alignment been checked?

Last edited:

Fahrvegnugen

Veteran Member
TDI
01 golf 1.9 alh gls silver
My 5 sp at 160k has perfectly functioning brakes and parking brake cables. In summer I get 36 mpg in town. I've been able to get 45 mpg on long runs. Stock ride height and tire size. No detectable injector leaks. Used diesel purge and new fuel filter last year. Timing belt done. At 200k it is possible that injectors alone could be the problem with mpg. Some people go much longer on original injectors, but I imagine with more highway driving. Every time I fuel up I consider: keep driving with the current mpg, or get new ones with more mpg and zoom.

Twitch

TDI
Rob mayercik no i do not use the parking brake cause i know the right side rear caliper hangs up if i use it. I have roof racks stock wheel size and tires aired up to 44psi which is max psi on some hard pirelli tires and getting like 35ish i got witt the car the entire front end i redid and havent done a alignment yet was going to get new tires and then get the car aligned. I have my own lift and did the alignment by eye by using the back tire. on the highway the car pulls straight so figure i could live with that intill i get new tires for the set of vw 18in 16 spoke wheels i have. I also have my timing set to 5.5 degrees btdc and my IQ some where around 6 a believe had vcds to clear a airbag light swaped in set of leather seats. But back to my original post i also found the nitto motivo tires i have a set of nitto 420’s on my cummins and love those tires they grip amazing and are awesome on the highway but completely different from a 1 ton pick up to a econmey car. I will most likely lean towards the cooper rs3-g1 i ran a set of the rs3-a on my 04 mustang gt and tires handled awesome road noise never bothered me cause always have the music turned up thans for all the help

Twitch

TDI
Hitman im located in central nj/ jersey shore area so not to warm but we are having a pretty hot summer nothing like arizona or anything like that but if i could consitantly be 40+ mpg and had a good tire with not much tire roll like my 15s ill be happy

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
It's not the tires, some engine control not happy, hanging brakes or ?
I'm guessing the very cheapest tire versus the best is maybe 10-15% difference in MPG.

Rob Mayercik

Veteran Member
TDI
Rob mayercik no i do not use the parking brake cause i know the right side rear caliper hangs up if i use it.
Sounds like my left rear side. Since you have a vehicle lift, have you verified visually that the little lever the parking brake cables pull on is all the way back to the stop? As I noted above, with mine it didn't fully release on its own and I had to "convince it" with a hammer to get it fully back up to the stop.

Fahrvegnugen's experience with non-highway driving seems to match yours, since you mentioned your driving is also around town and on "back farm roads". Am I right in assuming that "around town" means 25/30/35 mph roads, and "back farm roads" are 40/45/50 mph?

Hang on, you said your IQ is around 6 with stock (manual) injectors? I'm set around that with my .205s, if memory serves. From what I've read around here, 2-5 would be where a car running no tune and stock injectors would be set. Higher IQ values equates to less fuel injected, was the car set like that when you got it, or did you make that adjustment?

hitman1985

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Jetta TDI ALH
Hitman im located in central nj/ jersey shore area so not to warm but we are having a pretty hot summer nothing like arizona or anything like that but if i could consitantly be 40+ mpg and had a good tire with not much tire roll like my 15s ill be happy
All I know about the last few fills is that after talking to someone from kerma who suggested I'd run some diesel kleen with the fills prior to turbo swap and all to get all the systems happy and clean; I didn't notice much of a improvement in mpg but I did notice a much better response and cleaner idles by a lot! I'm about to fuel up tomorrow again around 42 mpg avg on this fill as well which seems good for this age of vehicle and stock everything pretty much

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Twitch

TDI
Rob mayercik yea i have visually seen it and it is touching the stop perch for the E Brake. Around town is usually around 35-50 and then highway is 75 cruise control set. I made the adjustment on the iq with vcds i will check it again tomorrow and bring it down to around 2-3 i plan on doing dlc 764 nozzles with kerma tuning upgraded intercooler upgraded intake manifold 3 bar map upgraded piping and seeing how long the clutch lasts �� and most likely a 17/22 turbo after my fresh vnt15 either fails or need more power

Rob Mayercik

Veteran Member
TDI
Well, then maybe the lower speeds and more stop-and-go from the in-town roads is a contributor then.

I wasn't necessarily asking you to readjust the IQ back to 2-3, I was more curious as to why you dialed it out to 6 in the first place.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Proly from reading this forum. The specified range is like 2-9, so it should work anywhere in that range. Out of the box these VEs are usually sitting right around 2.2. I had my 99.5 tuned to Stage 2, all stock, it sat right at 4.0. It's important to remember that the ECU will change this through a dynamic range it's not like setting a spark plug gap.
But there are dozens of threads where folks have hammer modded or changed it in Basic Setting, usually to clear rough idle.