UK TDi owners are pissed off

Yankinwaoz

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SE
Yank here. I've been following the TDi news in the UK newspapers. From the comments I get the impression that UK TDi owners are feeling royally screwed by both VW and their own government.

Like the rest of the world, the UK ministry in charge of vehicle emission standards (Dept of Transport) is following the TDi cheating news and is negotiating with VW on a resolution. It seems that so far they have settled on a fix, which is currently underway. No compensation is being offered.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/volksw...compensation-is-your-car-affected-latest-news

Needless to say, the UK owners are not happy after hearing about what is going on over in the US. They feel they were sold out.

I'll be working over in the UK for a few weeks in September. I plan to discuss this with some fellow TDi owners over some beers one evening.

Airpizz6

Veteran Member
TDI
Now TDI-free, but there now is a 15 MB E250 BT in the driveway
Interesting article. So emissions were 25% above limits after removal of the defeat device. Sounds good to me since emissions were 40x (not 0.25x) above legal limits before. But I thought the UK only tested for CO2, not NOx, and those tests had acceptable results. If that is true, why should VW offer anything to UK owners and lessees?

Yankinwaoz

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SE
Interesting article. So emissions were 25% above limits after removal of the defeat device. Sounds good to me since emissions were 40x (not 0.25x) above legal limits before. But I thought the UK only tested for CO2, not NOx, and those tests had acceptable results. If that is true, why should VW offer anything to UK owners and lessees?
You have found the core of the problem. The fix solution is good enough to meet UK regulations. So the owners are not harmed. Hence, no compensation.

I don't know if the UK fix is going to reduce the life of the drive train. Or reduce performance. I would be shocked if it didn't. But this doesn't seem to factor in to the harm calculations.

The UK owners are comparing their resolution to what the Americans got, and they feel shafted. But you are right. They are comparing apples to oranges. But as any parent knows, try explaining that concept to the kids.

grawk

Veteran Member
TDI
'14 JSW TDI (used)
and that's why you shouldn't compare yourself to others to determine whether or not you're happy.

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
"Comparison is the death of joy." - Mark Twain.

Res ipse loquitur.

angelman

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 sportswagon tdi
Fortunately the British voted to Brexit so they are free of those pesky rules and things shoved down their throats by those freedom hating Europeans and can enjoy the freedom of polluting their air in peace.. so no compensation for them.
I am a sad but yet still ironic British expat... :(