Some Detailed Scandal Info

Yankinwaoz

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SE
When you read this, it seems like VW is getting off easy. The blatant arrogance and disregard for the rules....
http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2016/07/19/revealed-how-vw-designed-the-greatest-scandal-in-automotive-history.html
Thanks. That was a good read.

The article also touches on the reasons why VW is only a niche player in the US market. It primarily blames reliability as the culprit. But it fails to mention the other big reason: Poor customer service from the dealers and VW after the sale. They are notorious for ignoring problems and leaving owners with an expensive failing vehicle.

They could be forgiven for their glitches if they would follow that up with excellent support and care. But they do the opposite.

Personally, that was a huge concern of mine. And frankly still is. I expect now that my car is past warranty, I'm SOL if any technical problems arise. If past behavior is their pattern, then VW and their dealers won't do a damn thing to help me.

That is sad. Considering their competition offers warranties for 10 years, 100K. Not just VW, but all of the German cars now offer less support for more money. It is a huge weakness. Cars are huge expenses. We want the companies to back us up. At least until the damn car is paid off would be nice.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I've owned at least one Honda, Toyota, Honda, Ford, Volvo, even a Peugeot. I don't have good things to say about dealer service for any of those brands. VW, in my experience, is no better or worse.

durundal

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta Sportwagen, Candy White/Pure Beige, DSG, panoramic roof, rear side airbags