Impact of buying a 2009 TDI in Canada now

ARTZ

I'm looking around for a used wagon and want to get a TDI but I don't fully understand the issue that I will have down the road in Canada. Currently my province does not do emissions testing but that could change down the road and I don't know if VW "fixes" the car will it lose it's performance.
What are the thoughts on buying a used TDI now?

Mike_04GolfTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Mine: 2019 Golf R DSG, Wife's: 2015 Golf Comfortline TDI
In places where they have mandatory emissions testing, it may be necessary to allow VW to modify the car in order to be allowed to continue driving it.

If you don't have emissions testing where you live, then there's probably not much to worry about. Just drive it like any other car.

Mike_04GolfTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Mine: 2019 Golf R DSG, Wife's: 2015 Golf Comfortline TDI
One other thing I wanted to point out is an unmodified car would probably pass local emissions testing regardless of the state of the "fix" from VW.

Let me explain. We used to have emissions testing where I live. All they do is plug their computer into the OBD2 port and the ECU in your car tells their system if anything is wrong. They don't do a real emissions test at your tailpipe.

Your car, complete with cheating software, will tell the emissions testing center that everything is just fine. I would say it's more likely to fail after the fix because there's more of a chance that something will be out of spec when they're following the real emissions specifications.

Last edited: