Bought my TDI August 22, 2015

GretchenTDI

TDI
2015 Beetle Convertible
Yup. I bought it just a few weeks before they went public. I'm pretty ticked.

I love my car. I want the whole thing to just go away.

I paid out the door $34,211. She's a Beetle convertible.
The buyback estimate is $32,720.
The mod amount is $7942.
Am I missing anything?

If I sell it back, I basically will have driven it for two years for $1491.
I'd love to keep it but I have no idea what the mod will do to it. :cool:
And I worry about parts for long term ownership. I was planning at least ten years. I really hate car shopping.

Are there any indications of what might change on my Baby if I take the mod?

ZippyNH

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 JETTA TDI SE
Well...to have driven a new car for $1500...not bad imo.
You could keep it...
If you give it back...you get to get another car...VW basicly got you out of the day depreciation of buying a new car...the 30% or so value loss when you pull off a lot.
So you can enjoy getting a new car again....
But you can keep it and have $$$ in your pocket!!
Don't always look at it as a bad thing....
You can have delayed buyers remorse for $1500!! Or keep it and take a vacation or invest the $$.
Not bad
I'm in a similar situation. With my 2015....trying to think of the good things.

ZippyNH

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 JETTA TDI SE
As for changes...
We know the EA-288 (Gen 3 motors, the 2015 cars only) will need two visits...
It appears we get a software change and an added sensor to the DEF tank that ensures that it is actually DEF in the tank....trucks had this since 2010...VW skipped it...not sure what else, but the second trip is a "free" oilchange for the extra trip...
Other info is speculation so far...guess the fix is still getting engineered...but guessing we might have the least performance impact....

A voice in my head has been wondering if I should keep the $$, then sell to someone who NEEDS a 50 mpg car...heck..even if it drops to the mid 40's, still more power and fun than gas turbo 40 mpg cars....so there MIGHT be a demand later for the very limited numbers of cars left...
And I THINK I read we get an extra 4 year, 48,000 mile warrenty on any parts impacted by the changes....

Itzed

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
As for changes...
We know the EA-288 (Gen 3 motors, the 2015 cars only)
<snip>
And I THINK I read we get an extra 4 year, 48,000 mile warrenty on any parts impacted by the changes....
If you have a newer car, with less than 102,000 miles on it when the repair is done, then you would benefit from the first warranty option:

E. The warranty period for the Extended Emissions Warranty shall be the longer of:
1. Measured from the Eligible Vehicle’s initial sale or lease: (a) for
Generation 1 and 2, 10 years or 120,000 miles, whichever comes first; or
(b) for Generation 3, 10 years or 150,000 miles, whichever comes first
;

CastIronJSW

TDI
2010 Jetta SportWagen TDI DSG (Buyback 1/2017); 2015 Jetta SEL TDI 6M (1st Stage Fix 2/2017)
Gretchen - I am also an owner of a 2015 (in my case a Jetta SEL), so I think that I can relate to your situation.
It seems to me that you should wait for the Generation 3 fix (which is what I will do with my car). It will require you to bring the car in twice, but you will get a loaner car while yours is at the dealer. Here is what you will get for free from VW (in addition to the $1000 Goodwill Package we already received):
- $7942
- An oil change (typically about $90)
- A 10-year, 150,000 mile Extended Emissions Warranty
- You get to drive the car you love
I think that there may be some reduction in performance/economy, but I expect very little reduction with the Generation 3 engines. The huge benefit from my perspective (in addition to the cash in my pocket!) will be the warranty. That gives my a lot of confidence.
Curt

Tarbe

Veteran Member
TDI
Touareg and Sportwagon Sold to VW
Are there any indications of what might change on my Baby if I take the mod?

I feel your pain.

I would not worry about the mod if I were you. There won't be one.

No way they are going to be able to shoe-horn in the necessary stuff to make your Bug compliant.

Tim

GretchenTDI

TDI
2015 Beetle Convertible
Well...to have driven a new car for $1500...not bad imo.
You could keep it...
If you give it back...you get to get another car...VW basicly got you out of the day depreciation of buying a new car...the 30% or so value loss when you pull off a lot.
So you can enjoy getting a new car again....
But you can keep it and have $$$ in your pocket!!
Don't always look at it as a bad thing....
You can have delayed buyers remorse for $1500!! Or keep it and take a vacation or invest the $$.
Not bad
I'm in a similar situation. With my 2015....trying to think of the good things.
Zippy, you are like Mary Sunshine! Lol

I keep trying to think of the good things. It was just sucking to have all that new car joy shot to hell in less than a month. And I took a lot of verbal crap from people for it too!

GretchenTDI

TDI
2015 Beetle Convertible
Gretchen - I am also an owner of a 2015 (in my case a Jetta SEL), so I think that I can relate to your situation.
It seems to me that you should wait for the Generation 3 fix (which is what I will do with my car). It will require you to bring the car in twice, but you will get a loaner car while yours is at the dealer. Here is what you will get for free from VW (in addition to the $1000 Goodwill Package we already received):
- $7942
- An oil change (typically about $90)
- A 10-year, 150,000 mile Extended Emissions Warranty
- You get to drive the car you love
I think that there may be some reduction in performance/economy, but I expect very little reduction with the Generation 3 engines. The huge benefit from my perspective (in addition to the cash in my pocket!) will be the warranty. That gives my a lot of confidence.
Curt
my dealer already gives me free oil changes. But I hadn't taken the warranty into account.

Now if they'd replace the convertible top for with with that warranty........:p
Just kidding! She's garaged at home, and garaged at work, so I expect it will wear well.

Although that extended emissions warranty probably won't help if there is additional wear and tear from the mods. And since I only drive, I'm not a gear head, I have no idea how serious that might, or might not be.

DanCsTDI

TDI
2015 Golf TDI
I bought my golf 2015 S trim in July 2015. Kinda ticked off that they knew at that point that they had a problem and kept selling these. Looking like I'll get all my money back at a minimum. Maybe a little bit more back. As long as I walk away even I'll hand it back to them. Got a free ride for what will prob be 1.5 years. Can't complain.

GretchenTDI

TDI
2015 Beetle Convertible
I feel your pain.

I would not worry about the mod if I were you. There won't be one.

No way they are going to be able to shoe-horn in the necessary stuff to make your Bug compliant.

Tim
I'd pee my pants while taking the money and running, if that were the case!

GretchenTDI

TDI
2015 Beetle Convertible
I bought my golf 2015 S trim in July 2015. Kinda ticked off that they knew at that point that they had a problem and kept selling these. Looking like I'll get all my money back at a minimum. Maybe a little bit more back. As long as I walk away even I'll hand it back to them. Got a free ride for what will prob be 1.5 years. Can't complain.
I do like the free ride bit.

My kids know that the worst possible thing you could ever do, was to lie to Mom.
I REALLY hate being lied to!!

Itzed

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
I do like the free ride bit.
My kids know that the worst possible thing you could ever do, was to lie to Mom.
I REALLY hate being lied to!!
If it makes you feel any better, I'm quite sure that nobody even close to the people we all dealt with had any idea about this. And there were far more VW people that knew nothing compared to the very few that did. By and large, all the dealer people across the country were in the same boat as us, and we should feel sorry for them as well.

GretchenTDI

TDI
2015 Beetle Convertible
If it makes you feel any better, I'm quite sure that nobody even close to the people we all dealt with had any idea about this. And there were far more VW people that knew nothing compared to the very few that did. By and large, all the dealer people across the country were in the same boat as us, and we should feel sorry for them as well.
Yeah. I don't blame my dealer or the salesman. Although I didn't get the backup camera on mine. I do blame them for that! Especially since I paid for it but didn't get it.