Selling back - Do I bother with an Oil Service?

bubbagumpshrimp

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta TDI
Just stick to the service interval. Everyone wants to input not to do it and skip it. Then what? When or if something goes happens, you'll be kicking yourself in the @$$ wishing you had done it. I just got my 20k service kit from IDPARTS as always and plan on doing my 100k mile service. Regardless of when turn in date is. I treat my car the way I want my car to treat me. $100 is not a big deal to me to ensure the maintenance is good until I decide what I want to do. If something happens between now and then because you decided to skip the maintenance then you'll have a bigger problem on your hands. I'm a firm believer in taking care of maintenance when it's needed on time.
Yup. At a bare minimum...I would stick to changing the oil. The only way I would even consider doing anything more (ex. Timing belt) is if they offered up one hell of a discount. People are talking about October, but I would be surprised if the average person that's wanting a buyback gets out of their car by then.

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
<snip>People are talking about October, but I would be surprised if the average person that's wanting a buyback gets out of their car by then.
I agree with this, if only from the standpoint of a poll being run elsewhere in this forum, where fully two-thirds of the respondents have chosen the buyback. Now of course the absolute numbers in the poll are tiny, but if they are reflected in the mass of the owners responding, VW could end up making those appointments for turn-in right through 2017.
The other unanswered question is taken from the apparently large number of people who didn't even know about Dieselgate or the previous $1K handout. If that happens here (as VW is no doubt hoping) then they'll be taking walk-ins by the Holidays.

bubbagumpshrimp

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta TDI
I agree with this, if only from the standpoint of a poll being run elsewhere in this forum, where fully two-thirds of the respondents have chosen the buyback. Now of course the absolute numbers in the poll are tiny, but if they are reflected in the mass of the owners responding, VW could end up making those appointments for turn-in right through 2017.
The other unanswered question is taken from the apparently large number of people who didn't even know about Dieselgate or the previous $1K handout. If that happens here (as VW is no doubt hoping) then they'll be taking walk-ins by the Holidays.
Yup. VW is not going to put dealerships in a situation where their lots are suddenly filled with buyback vehicles. They'll do a few here and there at a rate that will allow whatever system they've setup to deal with the bought back vehicles to not get overwhelmed.

That's not even getting into the appointment issue. Buyback people are going to get the absolute crappiest appointment time. The slots that no one wanted to bring their car in for service. You want to come by Saturday morning at 1000 to do this (doesn't conflict with your M-F 9-5 or get you up from your Friday night hangover too early)? Nah. You'll get a Monday at 1pm appointment so that you (likely a commuter with a lengthy drive to work) will basically have to take an entire day off work just to deal with this.

Let's say that...hypothetically...October 1st, the "buyback process" starts. That doesn't mean that people will start getting rid of their cars one October. That means that the process will start. You will contact VW and say that you want a buyback. They have 'xx' quantity of days to work with you to get you an appointment. They have something like 90 days from the date that you first contacted them to get the process done. So really...you're looking at anywhere from...let's say 10/10/2016 through 1/10/2017.

People that are already counting their chickens and thinking that this will be quick, easy, and convenient...lol. Who knows...maybe they'll prove me wrong and they'll get this going quickly.

MaverickH1

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
Yup. VW is not going to put dealerships in a situation where their lots are suddenly filled with buyback vehicles. They'll do a few here and there at a rate that will allow whatever system they've setup to deal with the bought back vehicles to not get overwhelmed.

That's not even getting into the appointment issue. Buyback people are going to get the absolute crappiest appointment time. The slots that no one wanted to bring their car in for service. You want to come by Saturday morning at 1000 to do this (doesn't conflict with your M-F 9-5 or get you up from your Friday night hangover too early)? Nah. You'll get a Monday at 1pm appointment so that you (likely a commuter with a lengthy drive to work) will basically have to take an entire day off work just to deal with this.

Let's say that...hypothetically...October 1st, the "buyback process" starts. That doesn't mean that people will start getting rid of their cars one October. That means that the process will start. You will contact VW and say that you want a buyback. They have 'xx' quantity of days to work with you to get you an appointment. They have something like 90 days from the date that you first contacted them to get the process done. So really...you're looking at anywhere from...let's say 10/10/2016 through 1/10/2017.

People that are already counting their chickens and thinking that this will be quick, easy, and convenient...lol. Who knows...maybe they'll prove me wrong and they'll get this going quickly.
From a logistics standpoint, it'd probably be easiest to send a truckload a day so nothing is sitting around. I think a typical truck holds 8 or 9 cars. Sounds like they'll have a dedicated person for buybacks. I figure 1 per hour to fill out paperwork and handle any questions.

Who knows. I'd think they'd want things to be as efficient as possible.

halfast3

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI DSG
From a logistics standpoint, it'd probably be easiest to send a truckload a day so nothing is sitting around. I think a typical truck holds 8 or 9 cars. Sounds like they'll have a dedicated person for buybacks. I figure 1 per hour to fill out paperwork and handle any questions.
Keep in mind that, if/when the "Approved Emissions Modification" is certified, VW can resell the cars once they've been modified.
4.4.3. Disposition of Returned Vehicles. As set forth more fully in Appendix A to the DOJ Consent Decree, Eligible Vehicles bought back by or returned to Volkswagen must be rendered inoperable by removing the vehicles’ Engine Control Unit and may be, to the extent possible, recycled to the extent permitted by law. No such Eligible Vehicle that is rendered inoperable may subsequently be rendered operable until it has first received an Approved Emissions Modification. After modifying a bought-back or returned Eligible Vehicle in accordance with an Approved Emissions Modification, Volkswagen may then elect to (i) resell the bought-back or returned Eligible Vehicles in the United States, if properly labeled to disclose the Approved Emissions Modification, or (ii) export the bought-back or returned Eligible Vehicles.

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SEL (totaled), 2013 Touareg Executive
It would cost more to refit and resell them than to simply crush them and write them off as a loss.

bubbagumpshrimp

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta TDI

I'm curious to see how many per day that they'll process. To do that many, I think they'd either have to dedicate one person to that task exclusively or hire someone just to do that.

newbury

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 JSW
On oil changes - if a vehicle is out of warranty - Trust but verify
I wouldn't worry about it. Cars routinely make it 50k+ on an oil change.
Remind me NOT to buy a car from you.
PER THE OWNER'S MANUAL - TDI's should get oil changes every 10,000 miles (16,000 KM). It's probably safe to 15-20,000 miles (except maybe the PD's), since in Europe where they have oil life sensors, you may get up to 30,000 miles.
With my TDI I've had it done by the dealer since I WAS CONCERNED about the warranty issue and they would accept the dealerships data,
BUT - My Ford F350 diesel dually takes 15 quarts and change. FACTORY says EVERY 5,000 miles. I need to run synthetic for cold weather starting. Even doing it myself that ran about $100 w/ filter EVERY 5,000 miles. But I started doing Used Oil Analyses (UOA's) and finally gave up about 20,000 miles and changed it. But skipping 3 changes I saved $$$ and time.
Trust but verify.