Who loves their CR and will take no money from VW?

11JSWTDI

TDI
2011 Jetta SW 6MT(sold)
I will likely keep mine; the Buyback and Mod offers are just not compelling enough given I like the car: the way it drives, the fuel economy and it's still in good shape. Plus it is paid for, TB has been done and bought Hakka R2s last fall so too many miles yet to drive!! Plus may consider a modest tune....

ezshift5

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI (Enroute BB).......2017 Jetta 1.4 turbo 5M ....................
I will keep mine if its not bastardized on the fix. Mine has 21500 miles on it, its virtually perfect except a rock chipped windscreen. If im forced to sell it to VW, ill be making 3k over what I bought it for, but im still not happy about that. I simply cant find a better car to replace it with. I wish this whole situation never happened, would be happy to go on my merry way with my car the way it is now and drive it for 300k like I did with my 03' TDI
Yes, the above just about sums up my feelings. California is very pleasing to the eye - - - but it's sure as Hell far from Utopia in many respects.

How do we spell CARB?

ez

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
No gnashing of teeth or crying about deceit here. Jason and I are thinking of taking this opportunity to move up to a new car with minimal depreciation loss on the Passat. It's been a great car, we've driven it for over 100,000 miles, we've had fun putting some OEM+ bits on it, and now is as good a time as any to move on to the next thing. We still love our TDIs, and we will keep two non-commonrails in the fleet. :)

jellomania

TDI
2015 passat tdi sel premium
i will only be getting rid of my car if i'm able to get a new TDI.. I asked about this in another thread, and got a response or two, and then someone closed it.. *shrug*

What are the chances do you think?

TDI4ever!

TDI
2010 Jetta
My 2010 Jetta TDI is almost paid off, the last thing I want right now is another car payment. If I can keep it as is I will. EPA should be eliminated from the face of the earth!

SkeeterMark

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta TDI 6M
I would love to keep mine. However, as of last week I became the proud owner of a cracked DPF, and the repair cost is $2400. Sadly, they won't cover that, but will completely replace the exhaust/emissions system for free and give me $6k on top. It seems it is ok to drive like this, but I think I will opt for the modification option (if they come up with one) and see how it runs after that. If it is a big hit on FE or power, I'll probably convert it to off road;) anyway. If there's no fix, I'll probably end up doing the buy back, because the DPF issue has left me less than impressed. I wonder for people getting the fix if they will let you have your old parts. I suppose you could conceivably convert it back to original.

And sorry, but if they feel compelled to give me money, I'm not so stubborn as to say "no thanks". So a big fat NO to keeping it as is and not taking the money.

IFRCFI

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg TDI Lux
i will only be getting rid of my car if i'm able to get a new TDI.. I asked about this in another thread, and got a response or two, and then someone closed it.. *shrug*
What are the chances do you think?
About zero. CEO has already hinted about dropping diesels in favor of EV.
According to the filing, the fix for Gen 3 isn't simply a software upgrade. It's also a OBD monitoring system to make sure the vehicle is in compliance. I'm not sure many people have read between the lines here. So, is the vehicle going to refuse to start if it detects the emissions are out of compliance, like it would if you run out of AdBlue?
Frankly, even if they did bring back TDIs, the technology will only continue to get more complex, expensive, and FRAIL. No thanks.
Plus, why would the EPA/CARB certify new 2017 models for sale, when VW doesn't even have a committed fix for the existing 2015 Gen 3 cars, that might be 2 years away. The answer is they simply won't add to the problem. They have no interest in promoting VWs sales.

Last edited:

TDI4ever!

TDI
2010 Jetta
My 2010 stands out among the 2016. I spent lots of time and expensive waxes for anyone to compensate me enough. The car runs superb and no mechanical problems. Why on earth would I accept a buyout or need a stupid EPA fix.

jellomania

TDI
2015 passat tdi sel premium
About zero. CEO has already hinted about dropping diesels in favor of EV.
According to the filing, the fix for Gen 3 isn't simply a software upgrade. It's also a OBD monitoring system to make sure the vehicle is in compliance. I'm not sure many people have read between the lines here. So, is the vehicle going to refuse to start if it detects the emissions are out of compliance, like it would if you run out of AdBlue?
Frankly, even if they did bring back TDIs, the technology will only continue to get more complex, expensive, and FRAIL. No thanks.
Plus, why would the EPA/CARB certify new 2017 models for sale, when VW doesn't even have a committed fix for the existing 2015 Gen 3 cars, that might be 2 years away. The answer is they simply won't add to the problem. They have no interest in promoting VWs sales.

makes sense, and honestly I was surprised when my '15 didn't have any of those types of monitoring, when our '15 dodge ram diesel did. I also thought it strange that it seems my car barely consumes any DEF, in comparison to the gallons and gallons the truck did (we had to fill the DEF in the truck multiple times between oil changes). I suppose time will tell, but you raise a good point--IF a '17 becomes available, it's posssible i wouldn't want one if it's a pain to deal with.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Every car sold here since 1996 has had OBD monitoring as standard equipment. It is just the software that controls it that gets changed. :rolleyes:

And many cars had OBD before that, but it was not as standardized nor was it as stringent with certain items.

KERMA

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
99 beetle and 04 jetta
According to the filing, the fix for Gen 3 isn't simply a software upgrade. It's also a OBD monitoring system to make sure the vehicle is in compliance.

Actually, that IS a software upgrade. There is a very extensive and robust OBD monitoring/reporting system built into those cars already. It will just have to be tweaked a bit to a slightly adjusted specification.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Perhaps in the interests of full disclosure, could you detail your reasons for selling your 2012 Golf TDI two years ago.
Also, as a business owner that provides maintenance and replacement parts for these vehicles, are you worried about a rapidly shrinking customer base?
The reason I sold my '12 Golf was simple: I didn't drive it. I sold it in April of '15, the last time I put fuel in it was the previous December. I had snows on the car before selling it, and the fuzzies were still on them when I took them off. I think I drove it in the snow once, for about 15 miles.

I originally bought the Golf to replace my wagon, but when I had the opportunity to put a new factory long block in the wagon I jumped at it. And after that repair I ended up driving it more and more, and the Golf sat. Unlike my other older diesels, the Golf depreciated when I wasn't driving it. And insurance and taxes were more expensive, especially if it wasn't used. Finally, I honestly made a mistake when I bought the 2-door. I really missed having 4-doors.

And regarding our business, we love TDIs. They're a very important part of our business. We hope that the fleet that's out there gets repaired, bought back or not, and remains in use.

pebjr

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta; 2015 Golf S
I'm definitely keeping mine.
I never once thought of a buyback.
I live in NC where they don't do an emission test on diesel vehicles, so I'll just wait around for the fix or even a Malone tune and a delete...

IFRCFI

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg TDI Lux
Actually, that IS a software upgrade. There is a very extensive and robust OBD monitoring/reporting system built into those cars already. It will just have to be tweaked a bit to a slightly adjusted specification.
According to the filing, it doesn't sound like all the hardware is there:

For Gen 3:
Quote:
3.4.1 Require the future installation of OBD hardware and software to achieve
compliant SCR monitoring, including the addition of a Second NOx Sensor in a
Subsequent Service Action according to the mileage intervals and schedule described in
subparagraph 3.4.3 (i.e., full volume SCR system monitoring with a downstream NOx
sensor).
3.4.2 Describe the NOx sensor or DEF system capable of detecting poor
reductant quality, including emission and dilution detection levels, and how the vehicles
will detect poor quality DEF and initiate Inducements, and require the installation of such
strategies.

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL, 2015 Passat TDI SEL
We definitely plan to keep ours, but can't make a statement regarding fix/don't fix until they define what it entails. The warranty extension with the fix alone may prove to be beneficial in the long run . . . but still too many unknows to call this for certain, but definitely don't want a buy back, possibly short of an even (or close) trade into a newer TDI.

- Tim

FordGuy100

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI
I love out JSW. I also love cash. I also drive it off-road only.

Therefore, I'll take the fix and the money. Then I will delete it and drive it.

roni024

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL DSG
I'm leaning toward keeping my 13 Passat. For one thing, I'd be hard-pressed to find a car of similar size that has fuel economy as good as my car. Another, the extended warranty basically covers everything that I worry about for another 48k miles: fuel system, turbo, exhaust system, etc.

If I'm not mistaken, doesn't the PROPOSED settlement (keep in mind, this is just a proposal, after all) include a clause allowing you to take the buyout even within 18 months (minus money already received) after getting the fix if you are not satisfied?

Also in regards to warranty, the settlement outlines an additional 48k mile warranty if the car is sold. Maybe I'll sell it to my wife on day 1,459. ;)

IFRCFI

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg TDI Lux

wmichaelis

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta SE TDI
I love out JSW. I also love cash. I also drive it off-road only.

Therefore, I'll take the fix and the money. Then I will delete it and drive it.
Going by your signature, you're not in an EA288 engined TDI, so your fix is going to involve a lot more than software. You won't be able to delete it, as it's replacement hardware, not just additional hardware and/or software, if I'm not mistaken.

newbury

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 JSW
I'm definitely keeping mine.
I never once thought of a buyback.
I live in NC where they don't do an emission test on diesel vehicles, so I'll just wait around for the fix or even a Malone tune and a delete...
Again - what are the chances the state will license if it's non-compliant?

Think of the problems of importing a car and bringing it up to Fed standards for safety - if you don't you can't license it.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
It would appear that CARB states are the most likely to deny registration renewal if there's a recall and you don't complete it. That includes where I live. But if there isn't a fix for the Gen 1 cars they cannot force you to complete a recall that doesn't exist.

Like Kerma, I am confident there will be a fix for all the cars, it won't be seriously detrimental, and if you're required to get it you can also reverse it. All you have to do to pass emissions in MA is to show readiness. They don't look for hardware. They don't test emissions. There's a lot of leeway.

AusTexRocker

TDI
2010 Golf 4 Dr-DSG-United Grey Metalic
At first I was leaning toward buyback until I realized my dumb mistake of using an Audi A3 buyback chart rather than the Golf chart. Now the lean is strongly in the keep direction. Other than routine maintenance, I've bought one set of tires and two batteries since January 2010. Texas heat seems to kill batteries...
I have one of the last actually assembled in Germany, not a huge deal but kind of cool anyway. At 73900 miles, I have a hell of a lot of life left in this car and a visit with a Malone vendor sounds like a better deal than having a new car payment on a gasser.

nayr

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Audi Q7
Keeping mine, but if I can get some cash for a fix I'll take it.. use the money to finish up my ALH swap into my Westfallia and revert my CR back to it was pre-fix, perhaps with a new exhaust.

I will be the one and only owner of this car, but I'll be damned if I let it get crushed while it's still operational.. I've spent a alot of money on my adventure trailer and its been designed around my Golf.. They will have to pull a gear shifter out of my cold dead hands, so that throws out all suv's and trucks as comparable tow vehicles..

Last edited:

apaterso

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 2009
+1 in the same boat

I'm holding onto my 2009 Jetta. I'd only receive 10K from VW, which in my case is a glorified trade-in and not a buy-back. I don't see being able to purchase an equivalent car for 10K with the performance, fuel economy, condition, and creature comforts of my tdi. Instead I would end up purchasing a new vehicle for the 10K from VW plus an additional 10-15K out of my pocket - not going to happen.

Next week I plan to purchase the CP3 fuel pump upgrade and this fall I'll do a DPF delete and Malone tune. Those two items will cost under 5K and I'll have a very reliable tdi that will serve me for many more years.
I'll bought this car with the plan to drive into the ground and that is still my plan. High mileage (120,000+ miles) 2009 TDI's don't really get a good deal and I really don't feel like taking on a car payment. The only thing that give me pause is that I have a TD change due and the DPF might be on the way out and that's an expensive fix.

Cptcrnch

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI wagon; 2014 Golf TDI (buyback 7/26/17)
It would appear that CARB states are the most likely to deny registration renewal if there's a recall and you don't complete it. That includes where I live. But if there isn't a fix for the Gen 1 cars they cannot force you to complete a recall that doesn't exist.

Like Kerma, I am confident there will be a fix for all the cars, it won't be seriously detrimental, and if you're required to get it you can also reverse it. All you have to do to pass emissions in MA is to show readiness. They don't look for hardware. They don't test emissions. There's a lot of leeway.
I live in Maryland which is a CARB state. However we do NOT emissions test small diesels (http://www.mva.maryland.gov/about-mva/info/58000VEI/58000-06T.htm#appendix_c). When my registration paperwork comes I check "diesel exempt" and pay a small fee and that's it. The state would probably lose money testing small diesels as in guessing there aren't enough on the road on the road to make them money. And we all know the state only cares about the environment when it benefits them financially lol. So I wonder if if MD will block reg for non-compliant Gen 1 cars but still not test them.

I plan to keep my Golf. I know several enthusiasts who work at a dealer a few hours away from me. it would be worth the drive to them to have the fix "completed" and collect my money.

Last edited:

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
I'll bought this car with the plan to drive into the ground and that is still my plan. High mileage (120,000+ miles) 2009 TDI's don't really get a good deal and I really don't feel like taking on a car payment. The only thing that give me pause is that I have a TD change due and the DPF might be on the way out and that's an expensive fix.

the fix might include a new DPF.

this is more likely for the 2009, if you ask me, since it is connected to the existing NOX cat.

sriracha

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon 5mt, 1982 Rabbit truck (gas)
I would like to keep my mk6 Golf TDI. However, it all depends on the fix and how it affects those of us in California. If they give my gen1 a grandfather waiver based on the already implemented 23O6, I will probably keep the car. If the fix includes a bigger, better, more robust LNT and nothing more, I will keep the car. If the fix is a mega hack job that deletes the spare tire and independent rear suspension to make room for a urea tank, I will might consider the buy back. In general, I want to keep my car and rack up 500,000+ miles on it. I drive about 20k per year.

I feel like my mk6 Golf TDI 6-speed manual transmission is the end of an era...the last of the German made pre-urea IRS TDI's. I'm not really attracted to the mk7 for a variety of reasons.