Dealer says EGR and DPF need replaced...

BarryB

TDI
2012 Golf TDI
All,

First, I have NOT researched what I'm asking about here. I will, but I want to put the information here and solicit responses.

2012 TDI Golf, DSG, 106K miles. I got it at 90K miles. Yellow CEL came on, goes on and off with multiple key on and off sequences... but comes back on. Car is very slow to get up to max MPG. Normally, in the proper temps, after the car is up to normal operating temp my MPG is 42-46 MPG AVG. This is typically 10-15 minutes of my normal commute. Since the CEL light has been on, it takes 20-40 minutes to get to 40-42 MPG AVG (sometimes 38-40), and maxes out there.

Dropped the car at the dealer. CODE 01-14-21 INSUFFICIENT TSB came back, and soot in the pipe. Dealer said EGR and DPF need to be replaced, $2700.00.

I passed. I'm going to swap the EGR, drive it, and seek guidance here.

I would love to delete the DPF, but I have visual and sniff emissions where I live.

Thoughts????

Thanks for any guidance that can be provided.

Barry

krebsy75

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Sportwagen DSG; 2014 Golf 6MT; 2014 Sportwagen DSG; 2015 Golf SEL DSG
Call VW. The dealer will have the phone number. Someone buying an efficient commuter car like a Golf shouldn't have to endure a $2,700 bill with only 106k miles. 212k... Maybe. But not where you're at. It boils down to a flawed design.

I personally wouldn't buy these cars in a state where there's an emission test. Just my .02 for those lurking. It limits options for this kind of repair.

nord

Veteran Member
TDI
All turned back to VW. Now a 2017 Hundai Tuscon. Not a single squalk in 10k miles.
The bad news is that I suspect a cracked DPF. this allows your EGR filter to plug and you know the rest of the story.

Your emissions warranty expired at 80k miles but I'd not be above asking your dealer to go to bat on your behalf. Sometimes VW listens. If no joy, then I might explore alternative parts sources.

BarryB

TDI
2012 Golf TDI
That is a reasonable approach. The dealer can ask nicely to have momma VW address an emissions issue. I will look at that as an option..

krebsy75

Veteran Member
TDI
The bad news is that I suspect a cracked DPF. this allows your EGR filter to plug and you know the rest of the story.

Your emissions warranty expired at 80k miles but I'd not be above asking your dealer to go to bat on your behalf. Sometimes VW listens. If no joy, then I might explore alternative parts sources.

My dealer didn't do squat for my issue. They handed me a phone number and said good luck.

BarryB

TDI
2012 Golf TDI
I guess if I ask the dealer to ping VW proper, they have to, or should. May be an option I shouldn't overlook.

Wait... you said it worked, then said they told you to pound sand???

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
Check the trusted mechanics list and make a few calls.

there are reconditioned DPFs on the market. you could save quite a bit.

still is an expensive failure, but not what it could be.

( I dropped $4k into a chevy that had 100k on a transmission)

krebsy75

Veteran Member
TDI
My issue was related to a wiper failing (prematurely) and scratching the windshield. I got a new VW windshield after *****ing. The dealer wouldn't elevate the situation for me.

frugality

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none, 2016 GTI
The maintenance schedule says to check it for ash loading at 120,000 miles, and if it doesn't need replacing, then check every 10k after that. Off the top of my head, the ash loading limit is 175ml.

At my pace, and given my mostly-highway miles, I figure I'll be due at 200,000 miles.

However, there is at least one person who went way over. 'tadurkee' is a courier who had a 2010 JSW with over 300k miles before realizing there was a DPF check, and was up at something like 320ml of ash loading. She experienced more frequent regens and slightly reduced mileage before the $2400 job.

120k is probably the low limit for someone who does all-city driving. Most folks can probably expect 150k+.

torrimac

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 TDI Sedan DSG
There is a guy that is driving a 2011 Sedan with oil ash 240ml@249,816 miles. and he is still going.

Personally, my 2011 Sedan will drop its DPF and EGR at about 70k with nearly 100ml of ash load. I suspect I will find a nasty EGR since I am starting to see soot at the tail pipe. Small crack starting maybe?

autoxerwgn

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW TDI DSG, 2006 TDI (Sold)
How about looking around the forums for a used DPF from someone that did the delete. Plenty of low mileage ones out there. Might be worth a try depending on the asking price.

Perry01

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf DSG w/tech package
How about looking around the forums for a used DPF from someone that did the delete. Plenty of low mileage ones out there. Might be worth a try depending on the asking price.
I'm deleting my DPF and EGR in a couple of weeks. Only have 17k miles on my odometer. I will be selling both then.

Perry01

Veteran Member
TDI
They usually sell for between $800-$900 used but then most of the ones for sale have more miles on them than mine.

I'm going to ask $650 for both DPF and EGR.

Last edited:

BarryB

TDI
2012 Golf TDI
So... here is an update. Driving the car like I stole it, still got 45mpg AVG on the drive home, combined highway and rural back roads. So I am in NO RUSH to swap these parts.

I definitely want a low mile EGR and DPF. Perry01, I'll take yours if your pulling them in the near future. That price is a no brainer.

Barry

OH, also called VW Customer Care and they politely said to pound sand...

Perry01

Veteran Member
TDI
I definitely want a low mile EGR and DPF. Perry01, I'll take yours if your pulling them in the near future. That price is a no brainer.
I'll be ordering my parts for the delete in a couple of weeks. After I get it all installed and have my ECU reflashed, I'll let you via PM.

BarryB

TDI
2012 Golf TDI
Soooo... Got 48mpg AVG today driving on some back roads, and no CEL... Doesn't mean I don't need the parts. But the light IS out. Color me confused.

MrSprdSheet

Veteran Member
TDI
'09 JSW TDI
Please PM me, if Barry doesn't want an exhaust. All I think I need to know, before buying, is the attach point for 2010+ exhaust that is compatible with 2009 TDI. I went from regen indicators, to DPF fail, in about a week (150ml ash). I can't delete, in MA, either (PM me if I'm wrong on that, please, too).

camboscams

TDI
2014 JSW Stg 2 Malone, CP3 HPFP
BarryB, I have a complete dpf and egr filter with less then 10,000 miles that i would part with. It came off of my 2014 jsw and has all the associated parts. Just shoot me a pm and we can talk pricing. I'm also central to Charlottesville, which i think would sweeten the deal.

Thanks

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Whatever works I guess. Just seems ultra chinsy. Soda cans these days are barely thicker than foil.

rotarykid

Top Post Dawg
Piedmont of N.C. & the plains of Colorado
TDI
1997 Passat TDI White,99.5 Blue Jetta TDI
A tune and the gutting of this emissions crap should get you passed pretty much any emissions check.....

These engines, the CR engines are cleaner with all of this stuff removed and the engine ecu flashed than a car with a fully emission's 1Z/ALH engine from 96-03. If cleanliness is part of the reason you purchased one of these comparing this setup like I describe I would not give a second thought to getting rid of that crap!

And with a tune to remove all those wasteful after stroke injections it can run on high %'s of BD, maybe even B100 if you wish.

And if you drive it right afterwords you should see from 5-15 mpgs better than before getting well above the 50 to even 60 mpgUS mark tank after tank.....

BarryB

TDI
2012 Golf TDI
BarryB, I have a complete dpf and egr filter with less then 10,000 miles that i would part with. It came off of my 2014 jsw and has all the associated parts. Just shoot me a pm and we can talk pricing. I'm also central to Charlottesville, which i think would sweeten the deal.

Thanks
Thanks for chiming in. Perry01 had dibbs as my parts seller. If that changes I'll ping you and post here. Since he offered first, and I told him I need the parts, I need to work it through him.

Regards,
Barry

Last edited: