09 Jetta Cabin temp doesn't change - blend door issue?

sweetie82om

TDI
'09 Jetta TDI DSG Candy White
Hey Folks,

Thanks ina dvance for your thoughts. I noticed on a cooler morning about 3 weeks ago that my '09 jetta has a situation where the cabin temp didn't change - no matter how much you spin the temp dial from cold to hot.

Except of course when turned all the way to "hot" and the electric heat kicked in. :D

Dealer has replaced the head unit behind the temp gauges and problem still occurs. Feels like no resistance still when I turn the temp dial.

I've read about the cable and blend door issues here on the forum where a plastic tabs breaks on the end of the cable....

Is it still the same configurtion with the '09 Jetta? :confused:

Thanks for any guidance / assistance! :)

sweetie82om

TDI
Further Info - the correction / action was to replace the heater control unit.

Dropping off for the Second appointment with dealer tomorrow AM.

Pelican18TQA4

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta Hybrid
Just to add some points of information for you. The temp selector knob on the '05.5-'10 cars is not directly connected to the HVAC system as it's an electronic switch rather than a mechanical switch. Also, this knob doesn't control the temp of the air coming out of the vents, but rather it dictates the desired cabin temp. The Climatic system then determines the mix of hot/cold air coming out of the vents (manually selected, of course) necessary to achieve the selected temp. I saw that you mentioned there was no resistance on the knob when selecting different temps and the reason is because that knob isn't mechanically connected to anything.

sweetie82om

TDI
Thanks Pelican. The temp situation is not as it should be... hence return visit on original problem regardless of where the temp dial is:
  • recirculate on/off doesn't have any effect
  • defrost always cold
  • mid-level temp always about 68-70
  • floor position when positioned to floor get *some* heat (result of first repair)
I had to pay the $100 deductible as mileage is ~42,000. Whew - I'm very happy that I bought that extended warrantly!!! :D:D:D

Pelican18TQA4

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta Hybrid
Something tells me that one of the temp sensors isn't functioning properly. There's one on the front of the HVAC head unit and then two (possibly three) in the ductwork.

sweetie82om

TDI
Thanks Pelican - not as it should be. ;)

Update from the Dealer: blend temp motor is not functioning as it should.

Better news: repair is covered under extended warranty, and is continuation from first service - no additional deductible.

My personal opinion - how can the heating/cooling electronics fail in only 42,000 miles? Will continue to keep my receipts to support replacement against future failures beyond 100K extended warranty.

Will keep the forum updated....

sweetie82om

TDI
OK - repair was to replace the air blend door motor (part # 1K1907511C), and a reference by one of the other service staff about 1 sensor that was also ordered...

Pelican, you get credit - good call!

Overall parts total 600.00 +, plus 6-8 hours of labor - all covered by extended warranty!!!! :D:D:D:D:D

Thanks all,
Dana

Last edited:

UberVW_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf Variant TDI
Thanks for the post sweetie82om!

I'm having the exact same symptoms. My air temp coming out of the vents will not get warm unless I put the temp knob all the way to hot (last "click", at full hot position) which engages the auxiliary heater. If I back it off just one click to the left (from full hot), the temp immediately drops to no heat at all...just cool ambient air.

Anyone know if the air blend door motor can be accessed from under the dash. I'm just hoping the VW techs won't have to tear into my dash to much....

Maybe a bad temp sensor?

Will keep everyone posted....

Last edited:
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI
I am also getting no heat at all even with heater cranked all the way on... the ac works great but it never gets hot... i have 85k miles on my 09 now and no warranty... .is this easy to fix yourself if it is the blend motor....

aNUT

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'01 TT (ALH-ish), B7 Audi gasser, '05 Golf
I just did one of these flap motors. It's not fun, but you don't have to pull the heater core. The flap motor is bolted to the driver's side of the heater core approximately level with the brake pedal pivot.

You have to remove all lower driver's side footwell trim, the left console trim, remove a heater core cover, and flex and secure (bungee cord) the heater core brace out of the way to access the motor. The motor arm must be rotated 90* to the relay arm before it will slide free of the plastic relay arm. One of the motor mounting bolts is almost impossible to see. There is a tread on vortex with a simplified procedure and a couple photos. You need a 6mm magnetic socket to get that hidden mounting bolt started when assembling...took me about 3 hours, and I could do it in 2 now that I'm experienced.

MakDad

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta.
just did one of these myself. i am now ready to join the circus and contort myself in a 2 ft by 2 ft box. the hidden bolt is indeed almost impossible to get to on the motor itself. i got really pissed and broke it off with the tab. a lot easier to take it out with the motor out of the way. 2 hr max job when you know what you're doing.

jdhunt0

Veteran Member
TDI
2005.5 Jetta
I replaced my motor last night. I check to make sure the motor moved the flap last night and everything seemed OK. On my drive to work this morning I noticed I only have heat now on the drivers side. Passenger side works as it should, but even with the temp set to LO, the driver side vents felt like a hairdryer. Any ideas?