Amsoil In this Thread only

Which AMSOIL?

• Total voters

pipes p

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 jetta tdi dsg
another vendor to get a dsg fluid and filter kit is from arron at boraparts, awesome to deal with:)

LGV2001

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf, 2010 JSW
A question for Tom,

What is the differences between Amsoil 15-40 and the 10-40 oils? The TNB is over 12 on both.

Thanks

TooSlick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Audi 100S
The 15w-40/AME is their primary HD diesel oil for commercial or pickup truck, turbo diesels without DPF's - it's also excellent for marine onboards (gas & diesel).

The 10w-40/AMO is a high performance motor oil for gas engines requiring a thicker lube (like race motors with flat tappets) and for automotive, light duty diesels.

Either oil is fine for an older TDI, based on actual experience. The 15w-40 has marginally better high temp properties; the 10w-40 is marginally better in sub-freezing temps. The pour points, -44F and -47F respectively, are very close.

TS

TDI
2009 Jeta
The 15w-40/AME is their primary HD diesel oil for commercial or pickup truck, turbo diesels without DPF's - it's also excellent for marine onboards (gas & diesel).

The 10w-40/AMO is a high performance motor oil for gas engines requiring a thicker lube (like race motors with flat tappets) and for automotive, light duty diesels.

Either oil is fine for an older TDI, based on actual experience. The 15w-40 has marginally better high temp properties; the 10w-40 is marginally better in sub-freezing temps. The pour points, -44F and -47F respectively, are very close.

TS
Thanks TS

You tied it down.

I would like to add one-thing some think oil is oil and that is just not so.

Every oil meets certain requirement that each engine manufacture requires. That is what all the fuss is over VW spec's for your engine to be happy you must use the right oil.
Here are the spec's for the

AME 15w40
AMSOIL Synthetic Heavy Duty Diesel & Marine Motor Oil is recommended for use in diesel engines and other applications requiring any of the listed worldwide specifications and gasoline engines requiring API SL, SJ, SH… or ACEA A3.​

• API CI-4+, CF, CF-2, SL
  • ACEA A3/B3, E2, E3, E5, E7
  • Global DHD-1
  • JASO DH-1
  • Mack EO-N Premium Plus '03
  • DDC Power Guard 93K214
  • Caterpillar ECF-1A, ECF-2
  • Cummins CES 20071, 20072, 20076, 20077, 20078
  • Volvo VDS-2, VDS-3
  • MB 228.3, 229.1
  • MAN 271/3275
  • MTU Type 2
Here is the AMO 10w40
AMSOIL Synthetic 10W-40 Premium Protection Motor Oil is a multi-use, premium synthetic lubricant for applications that require or benefit from a higher viscosity oil. It is recommended for air and liquid cooled, large or small gasoline and diesel engines, transmissions and chaincase applications where 10W-40 oil is required with any of the following specifications:

• API SL/CF, CI-4 Plus
  • API SJ, SH, SG...
  • MIL-PRF-2104G
  • JASO MA (Motorcycle)

You can see one meets more spec's Amsoil builds oil to cover a broader range of spec's that is why you will see our oil cover more applications.

An other & Zinc

The most commonly used anti-wear additive in motor oils is zinc dialkyldithiophosphate (ZDDP) & Phosphorus this will provide premium protection to flat tappet cams as TS stated.here is the complete Flat Tappet and Camshaft Lobe Lubrication (pdf)

[FONT=&quot]Bill Crow[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Don’t be a victim of big oil Propaganda[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The first 25K or 1 Year oil change[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Bill Crow - Amsoil Direct Distributor[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]On Line Store[/FONT]
ZO # 1176229
[FONT=&quot]1251 Reiker Ford Rd.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]St Clair MO 63077[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1-636-629-8033[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]E-mail - Bill@FreeOilHelp.com[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]www.FreeOilHelp.com[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]www.BillsOilHelp.com[/FONT]

LGV2001

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf, 2010 JSW
Thanks Tom
I have used the AME on a regular basis in the Duramax's and have been getting single digits @ 10K miles and low teens in the powerstroke engines. Just wondering any benefits with the AMO. AME is a couple bucks a Qt less.

Mr Crow, push your sales pitch, links, BS, etc, somewhere else. I buy Amsoil every month and do not need copies of the web info. Salesmen like you give Amsoil products a bad name.

I retract what I said about Mr Crow, your links was quite informative. Sorry if I ruffled any feathers.

Last edited:

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T

TS
TS,

Regarding AMO, you mean medium duty diesels too? (CI-4+). AME and AMO have the same HTHS and 100C visco.

Bob

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
Thanks Tom
I have used the AME on a regular basis in the Duramax's and have been getting single digits @ 10K miles and low teens in the powerstroke engines. Just wondering any benefits with the AMO. AME is a couple bucks a Qt less.

Mr Crow, push your sales pitch, links, BS, etc, somewhere else. I buy Amsoil every month and do not need copies of the web info. Salesmen like you give Amsoil products a bad name.
1. This *is* the Amsoil information thread for everyone.
2. That wasn't a sales pitch.

TDI
2009 Jeta
Thanks Tom

I was just trying to inform you don't make it more than it is!

There are is a lot of miss information out there. The links helps me inform that is all.

FYI I have 3 D max's with 300k plus doing 20k oil drains.

Bill

milehighassassin

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Golf TDi PD, Reflex Silver
Bill

I have been using DEO on my 2005 PD as well as my father and brother each using it in their Duramax.

Do you feel there is a better oil? AMO?

reino

TDI
2001 Jetta gls
in my reserarch mobil one and ams oil are very similar. There is only two producers of syn base mobil and exxon. The differences are in additive packages. mobil one and ams oil use the same supplier for that as well the difference is the ratio that is added ams oil uses a higher percentage than mobil. We use mobil delvac in otr trucks and have had great results on oil samples on an egr cummins plus i used it on my 04 durmax and at 150,000 when i did an injcetor replacement there was no build up. I recently started using ams oil and will do so in my tdi

Tarbe

Veteran Member
TDI
Touareg and Sportwagon Sold to VW

I'd rather you take your BS somewhere else. It's not all about you.

Tim

TooSlick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Audi 100S
Mile High,

For a cold climate, I'd stick with the DEO, 5w-40 in the Dmax and PD. If you lived in a warm to hot climate, the two Amsoil 15w-40's (AME & DME), have even better high temp stability than all the 5w-40's on the market (Amsoil, Delvac 1, Rotella T6, etc).

The 10w-40 is really not intended for HD diesels, despite the CI-4+ rating. I'd use AME/DME* or DEO instead.

*DME is the new CJ-4/SM rated, Amsoil 15w-40.

(Ted not Tom)

TDI
2009 Jeta
I am sure TS relises the the DEO & DME have less zinc & Phosphorus because of the particulate filters on the newer trucks than the AME if you are going to extended oil drain the AME is the way to go on earlier engines. No mater what the temp is any synthetic is the way to go as it is more heat tolerant. IMO
Bill

TooSlick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Audi 100S
Actually the ZDDP levels are pretty comparable in the Amsoil CI-4+ and CJ-4 oils. However the CJ-4 chemistry uses more Magnesium and less Calcium. Since the molecular weight of Mg is less than Ca, it generates less ash for a given TBN level....

TD

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
Actually the ZDDP levels are pretty comparable in the Amsoil CI-4+ and CJ-4 oils. However the CJ-4 chemistry uses more Magnesium and less Calcium. Since the molecular weight of Mg is less than Ca, it generates less ash for a given TBN level....

TD
It's a 100 to 200 ppm drop (ZDDP) CI-4+ to CJ-4?

TooSlick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Audi 100S
Yes, but the CJ-4 oil also has boron & moly. Wear protection seems pretty comparable. The 12 TBN oils should last a bit longer in service, however.

TS

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
Yes, but the CJ-4 oil also has boron & moly. Wear protection seems pretty comparable. The 12 TBN oils should last a bit longer in service, however.

TS
Agreed there. CJ-4 has proven to be outstanding.

TooSlick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Audi 100S
Bob,

I've been impressed with how well the CJ-4/SM chemistry works in HiPo gas engines. Probably the most versatile stuff out there.

TS

milehighassassin

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Mile High,

For a cold climate, I'd stick with the DEO, 5w-40 in the Dmax and PD. If you lived in a warm to hot climate, the two Amsoil 15w-40's (AME & DME), have even better high temp stability than all the 5w-40's on the market (Amsoil, Delvac 1, Rotella T6, etc).

The 10w-40 is really not intended for HD diesels, despite the CI-4+ rating. I'd use AME/DME* or DEO instead.

*DME is the new CJ-4/SM rated, Amsoil 15w-40.

(Ted not Tom)

Thanks for the info. I posted and I thought you read it an article about how at startup basically ALL oils are too thick. Even if you live in Arizona and Florida. Even a Zero weight oil is too thick. It was wrote on a Ferrari forum from a guy that was a heart surgeon with a lot of experience studying fluid dynamics. He said that the way oil flows in a motor is very similar to how it moves in the heart. It was a very long article. Let me know if you want me to re-link it in this thread.

What I am getting at is that the 5 weight oil at startup is great and one of the reasons I went with it over the 15. But both have the same operating weight, right?

Colorado is tricky. It is certainly cold in the winter but not midwest cold. We get 50 degree days as well. Then in the summer we have days over 100 degrees or high 90's and then a few days at 30-40 degrees. LOL

TooSlick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Audi 100S
Mile high,

I won't pretend to be a heart surgeon if the good doctor won't pretend to be a mechanical engineer...What he's written is certainly true, but he grossly underestimates the importance of also having the optimum viscosity after the engine warms up.

The SAE grades represent specific viscosity ranges:

Xw-20, 7.7-9.3 Cst @ 100C
Xw-30, 9.3-12.5 Cst @ 100C
Xw-40, 12.5-16.3 Cst @ 100C
Xw-50, 16.3-20.5 Cst @ 100C

The take home message here is that you can have two l
oils within the same SAE grade whose comparative viscosities are significantly different.

I guess I should have said a place like CO, with a widely varying climate. Certainly where you are, a 5w-40 is a better "one size fits all" viscosity than a thicker lube like a 15w-40. Although you could run the thicker stuff for the six warmest months out of the year.

One final word about the viscosity on startup. Provided the oil is thin enough to allow the engine to turn over easily on the coldest morning you're likely to see, it's thin enough to provide excellent protection, during the startup phase. An even thinner oil will provide a small (1%-3%), fuel efficiency benefit, but NOT a further decrease in wear. This is why commercial diesel owners stick with 15w-40, rather than use 10w-30, even in cold climates. They are much more concerned about maintaining excellent wear protection under steady state, high load operating conditions.

TS

milehighassassin

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Tooslick

Have you read that article? I think he has the education to back up his claims. It is a great read.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TooSlick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Audi 100S
The Dr Haas white paper is full of technical inaccuracies and statements that are simply not true. He's playing around by running thin oils in a bunch of exotic cars that see very little use. I fail to see how it proves anything, except for the forgiving nature of modern engine designs. If he tracked these cars using 0w-20/5w-20 oils, the engines would not last very long.

TS

Derrel H Green

Top Post Dawg
TDI
An '05 MBZ E-320 CDI (W-211) replaced the '10 TDI JSW
:)

Don't you simply love it when someone posts something and then does not have the cajones to leave it there and simply 'pulls it'? :confused:

I guess they do not understand that once they post whatever, it appears in everyones'
mai box that has been posting on that topic whether it was pulled by them or not! :p

:D

D

nicklockard

Torque Dorque
TDI
SOLD 2010 Touareg Tdi w/factory Tow PCKG
This. Whole. Thread. Is. A.
S.A.L.E.S. P.I.T.C.H. ridden with snake oil hucksters.

happy?

TooSlick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Audi 100S
Mile High,

A 0w-30 and 5w-30 are normally interchangable. However, it's possible that the 5w-30 (or even more so a 10w-30), will have better high temp, thermal & shear stability than a 0w-30. Depending on the application - such as a DI gas engine turbo - this could make the 5w-30/10w-30 more desirable.

Make sense?

TS

milehighassassin

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Mile High,

A 0w-30 and 5w-30 are normally interchangable. However, it's possible that the 5w-30 (or even more so a 10w-30), will have better high temp, thermal & shear stability than a 0w-30. Depending on the application - such as a DI gas engine turbo - this could make the 5w-30/10w-30 more desirable.

Make sense?

TS

So I am using a 5w40 right now. Amsoil DEO.

I am concerned about high oil temps when towing in the summer. Would I be better using the 15w40?

I am in the process of installing an oil temp guage and if needed probably a larger oil cooler. I can hold max EGT when making long pulls up the passes here with a trailer. I was told, oil temps are probably my real concern.

Edit... I used the 5w40 because of the cold temps here in the winter. It hit -38 f a couple of times.

Last edited: