Help! 2001 Beetle Starts and Cuts Off

mdskp44

TDI
1999 A3 Jetta
What could be the problem when the car starts and runs for about 2 seconds and then cuts off. It does this consistantly every time you try it. The car was driven a lot today and ran fine. Car had been sitting about an hour since last driven. Please Help!

Mac Shingleton
'99 A3 Jetta TDI
'01 Beetle TDI (girlfriend's car)

chromeBuddha

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf TDI manual
The Immob, if the icon that is a car with a key in it is flashing when it dies.

A stuck anti-shudder valve can act the same way. When the engine is off it lets enough air in to start, but quickly starves ones the engine starts...

rdkern

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat 1997 silver (sold after 11 years), Jetta 2000 atlantic blue
109 would probably not allow it to start at all. However, check to see if the gp light comes on when you turn on the key. If not, 109 is suspect. However, since you seem to get a true engine start, then look carefully for any light on your dash that is flashing.

Jarhead96

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 Jetta Sportwagen TDI
What if you turn the key and nothing happens, no power no odometer, no nothing. Today I drove my '99 Beetle and all of a sudden the low ABS light came on and the Brake light started flashing. The car ran fine but when I got home and shut it down, the odometer went blank and I have no power to anything including the power outlets. Is the 109 suspect in this case also???:mad:

rdkern

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jar - I believe the 109 is more localized. In your case I'd look at grounds or battery or other connections. Check the basics - cables, connections etc. In your case, probably the big ones. Or - the battery may have gone dead.

Jarhead96

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 Jetta Sportwagen TDI
Very weird, I have no ignition power whatsoever. I guess I cant even run the Vag since I cant turn the ignition on. This sucks!

rdkern

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Have you looked under the hood at all? Does the battery have any juice in it?