HOW TO change the lower control arm bushing

Chemboy

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta Sportwagen DSG
sle91h said:
My car was assembled in Mexico...I guess they don't know what a torque wrench or anti-seize is...
FYI, that wasn't the reason for your difficulties. The rears have preapplied threadlocker and I'm sure corrosion from the salt used on your roads during the winter didn't help your situation. :rolleyes:

As an alternative to using a vice, I rented a balljoint press kit and, after picking out the correct size adaptors, easily removed and install both the front and rear bushings. It is a good idea to put the rears in the freezer for a couple hours before hand - it makes the install go quite a bit smoother.

--Andy

50harleyrider

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 B5.5 TDI/geared BSM, BV43A turbo,stage 2 TDTUNING. 2005 5sp manual passat tdi stage 2 tdtuning,BSM delete. 2015 Passat TDI 6sp manual.
Did you notice any steering response improvement with the solid bushings? My B4 TDI is a rather high effort steering and I thought about swapping in a B4 GLX rack.Any thoughts,experience?

Chemboy

Veteran Member
TDI
50harleyrider said:
Did you notice any steering response improvement with the solid bushings? My B4 TDI is a rather high effort steering and I thought about swapping in a B4 GLX rack.Any thoughts,experience?
In addition to the TT bushings, I installed a set of Koni Reds, new ball joints and tierods, so I cannot tell for sure where the steering improvement came from.

--Andy

unL33T

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS TDI
How bad is it if you cut a little too far and get the side of the ring that the front bushing goes into? I was following someone's hint to drill holes around this one to help get it out but used a bit that was a little big for the first hole. It only cut about 1/2 a mm into it. Should I try to get hold of another control arm before putting it all back together?

Last edited:

hevster1

Vendor
TDI
98 NB
Honestly, I would buy a new arm. They aren't really expensive and they come with new bushings. I just don't trust something that has been cut into by mistake. It would probably be ok but you are taking a chance with your life.

GoGolfing

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf 2000 Candy White
Gutless like me? Replace the entire contol arm!

I did and it saved me $$$ at my front end shop. Price control arms at Impex

But do what you think is best!

Best Regards,

Paul

unL33T

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS TDI
I just used the *slightly* damaged control arm and put the new bushings in. The car was apart and I could not get another arm on the weekend. I need the car to get to work (which is 45 minutes away).

Louis_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf Gls
I'm going to be changing my bushing and I was told that when reinstalling the control arm it is better to lower the car and put some weight on the bushings and then tightening the bolts. So that way the bushings get tighten were they will be resting wile driving to prevent premature warring.

All I want to know is... Dose this make any sense?

Dan R

TDI
None
Great info post

I have to replace the front lower bushings on my car and this gave me the confidence to do it.
A picture(s) is worth a thousand words.

Thanks,

Dan R

Dan R

TDI
None
Bushing orientation

Louis_TDI said:
I'm going to be changing my bushing and I was told that when reinstalling the control arm it is better to lower the car and put some weight on the bushings and then tightening the bolts. So that way the bushings get tighten were they will be resting wile driving to prevent premature warring.

All I want to know is... Dose this make any sense?
This is what many people do. You could also use an axle jack under the suspension to simulate lowering the car. This will probably allow more access to the bushing.

Dan R

Chemboy

Veteran Member
TDI
Dan R said:
This is what many people do. You could also use an axle jack under the suspension to simulate lowering the car. This will probably allow more access to the bushing.

Dan R
Hmmm....if you place a jack under the control arm, that corner of the car will be supported through the ball joint. Is it designed to support that weight?

Andy

Louis_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf Gls
Dan R said:

Dan R
I use a small peace of 2x4 under the disc brake jack up the suspension that way there was more room to tighten the bolt.

Chemboy said:
Hmmm....if you place a jack under the control arm, that corner of the car will be supported through the ball joint. Is it designed to support that weight?

Andy
Not if you leave the car on the stands the jack is only compressing the spring not lifting the car.

ta79pr

Veteran Member
TDI
02 TTQ (BEW)
install direction

ok, i did all four control arm bushings using a loaner tool kit, not too difficult at all once you figure out the right combo of spacer/pusher in the kit...

i noticed that this thread did not mention the alignment with the two holes as well as the arrow, see pic from bentley.

cwarner

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta also have a 2001 Dodge ram /Cummins
Well, I think I'm going to tackle this job myself probably in the next week or two. I have a few questions.

What "tool" can be purchased or rented to ease the installation of the bushings ? I'm also going to be doing the rear axle bushings as well.

Can the balljoint be removed from the spindle without taking unbolting the upper strut mounting ?

After doing this , will the front suspension need to be realigned ?

XJCoupe

Veteran Member
TDI
none
cwarner said:
What "tool" can be purchased or rented to ease the installation of the bushings ?

Can the balljoint be removed from the spindle without taking unbolting the upper strut mounting ?
The answer to both of these questions is on the first page of this thread.

After doing this , will the front suspension need to be realigned ?
Yes.

Havokk

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta
A big YES!, after getting it done be sure to check it driving because alignments on jettas, atleast on mine, are difficult. I can't remember off hand if its becasue its mainly toe or camber adjusted. Its one of them but i had to take mine back to the shop for adjustment because it wasnt exactly right the first time.

Last edited:

Thor

TDI
Jetta 2000 black
ta79pr said:
ok, i did all four control arm bushings using a loaner tool kit, not too difficult at all once you figure out the right combo of spacer/pusher in the kit...

i noticed that this thread did not mention the alignment with the two holes as well as the arrow, see pic from bentley.

Thats oem for VW with holes , other bushing are soild oem for Audi

smendick

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf ALH 5-sp manual
Hey Wingnut, what size are the 4 bolts and 2 nuts I need for the control arms?

poor1

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4
A couple of things which might be useful for uninitiated:

The ball joint tapers really will pop out by unscrewing the nuts against the hub you just have to be confident it will work because it requires a good deal of force. This saves so much work in dismantling the drive shaft from the bearing. After the taper has been released the problem is that the shaft will turn. The can be overcome by prising out the rubber boot with a big screwdriver and grip the taper with a Mole wrench. Not the ones with a fine point but the largest you can squeeze in between the knuckle and the ball joint.

The other problem is how to prevent the ball joint shaft turning against the new self locking nut when reassembling. Put a small jack under the ball joint and the taper will re-engage sufficiently for the nut to be fully tightened.

Another tip is not to waste your time putting new bushes in the old control arm. The after market control arms are so reasonably priced it is not worth the trouble and the original ones will probably be rusting away before your eyes.. Also remember to pre-load the bushes before fully tightening them by taking the weight of the car on the control arms otherwise they may fail prematurely

Once you have done one side, the second side will take a couple of hours.

Last edited:

nickf829

TDI
2012 Golf 6MT, 2000 Golf GLS - Sold
This write up was amazing, and the tip about turning the wheel to whatever side your doing to pop the ball joints out was priceless.

A few things to consider:

1. If you do the sway bar bushings at the same time, get longer bolts. I got I think 1.5" bolts from the hardware store and it made my life so much easier than fooling with trying to get that gap closed on the sway bar bushing bracket. If needed, I can go look at the bag to see the exact size/thread

2. If you plan to pop the ball joint off, pretty much plan to replace them. I got a pair of balljoints for $45ish from GermanAutoParts.com, and I'm glad I did. Turns out the passenger balljoint must been relatively new when I bought the car last June, but even still, I was able to pop the balljoint lose using the "turn the wheel, use the balljoint nut as a press against the CV housing until it pops", but once I got the nut almost all the way off, it stopped coming off the the balljoint just spun. This is where a saws-all comes in handy, I just cut both balljoints right underneath the nut so that the nut will slide out and the ball joint dropped. I burnt up 2 blades doing so since its such a hard metal, but it only took about 5 minutes worth of cutting, so it was definately worth it rather than removing struts and axles on either side, all to save $50

3. Use air tools. This would have been miserable trying to do without, especially consier all the control arm bolts were stuck, but a good impact just spun it right off.

4. Rent the balljoint press from Autozone. Its a $99.99 deposit, but you get it all back. Worth the time. To help save time, use the biggest ring and the dual adapter(both sides of adapter extend outward) on the BOTTOM of the control arm, than use the adapter that is concave on one side and put the concave side on top of the control arm bushing, this adapter is almost the identical size to the ring around the bushing and makes pressing it in much easier than trying to juggle another ring on top of the control arm as well. Then just lube lube lube and it will press in with no issues using a 3/4" wrench on the ball joint press handle.

5. If you order the balljoints and rear bushings, may as well get front bushings seeing as they are only $5/each, and if you don't need, well than at least you won't freak out once you get everything apart and find that your bushings are shot. Luckily, I didn't need mine, but I'm glad I bought them, at least I was prepared just in case SHTF.

6. Pre-soak everything with PB Blaster or whatever pentrating oil you use. I soaked everything once I got the car on jackstands, than got all my tools out, set up the compressor, than hit it once more before I started working.

Overall.. not a bad job. around 6 hours total, reality was it took 4 hours to do 1 side because I didn't know what tools to use, and what issues to expect, mostly the ball joint stole an hour just because I was trying everything to get it to spin off the last few threads. After I got it figured out, I tore the other side down and did everything in under 1.5 hours.

It felt as though I had every hand and power tool known to man out and in use for this, but honestly it was a very small tool list once I actually figured out what I needed. 12mm(3/8 drive), 13mm(3/8), 16mm(3/8 and 1/2) and 18mm(3/8 and 1/2) sockets and matching wrenches(having a good selection of offset wrenches and ratcheting wrenches really helped). Swivel adapter(3/8), 3" extension(3/8), BFHammer, Impact gun(1/2), Jigsaw, reciprocating saw, PBBlaster, Silicone spray, and I think that was it. Oh and a nice cold celebratory beverage for once you have finished, test drove it and realized the steering wheel doesn't convulse when you press the brakes anymore, and come home to park it until you are able to get it aligned. Then, commence beverage disposal.

KCEE

TDI
2001 NB
I just received my bushings, bearings and brakes from German Auto parts today. If anyone is interested the control arm bushings are made in China not Germany.

plasticperfume

TDI
2006 Gold GLS TDI
Can anyone tell me how long it takes to replace the front bushings? The VW dealer is charging me $278 for one and $557.00 to do both on the front.

Herm TDI

Vendor
Richmond, Maine...The far side of Witsend
TDI
2002 Golf GLS Malone Stage 3, P+520 nozzles, 11MM Inj pump, Sachs VR6 clutch, Stelth Race Pipe, Immo Deleat, EGR Deleat
CA Bushings

Can anyone tell me how long it takes to replace the front bushings? The VW dealer is charging me $278 for one and $557.00 to do both on the front.

A few days ago I replaced both CA's with new bushings on both sides. $175.00 (Total)

In this case all went smoothly. Some times I encounter problems with the front (enclosed) anchor nut will brake loose. In this situation I have to increase the cost due to the added labor involved.

Last edited:

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta GLS TDI Pumpe Duce Platinum Grey w/ Leather
Is it advisable to use an impact gun on the front control arm bolt upon removal to lessen the probability of the inside (the frame) nut from coming loose? I figure the shock from the impact wrench/gun and the inertia of the nut will lesen the probability of the nut coming detached from the frame, as opposed to using a ratchet on this bolt. Thoughts?

--Nate

volkswheels

Vendor
TDI
2006.5 Jetta TDI DSG, 2012 GolfHighline TDI DSG
A few days ago I replaced both CA's with new bushings on both sides. $175.00 (Total)

In this case all went smoothly. Some times I encounter problems with the front (enclosed) anchor nut will brake loose. In this situation I have to increase the cost due to the added labor involved.
What do you do when the inner nut in the frame brakes loose? How do you access the spinning nut?:confused:

Wingnut

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta Wagon
What do you do when the inner nut in the frame brakes loose? How do you access the spinning nut?:confused:
If you have a mig welder, you can tack it in place through a hole in the bottom of the sub frame. Otherwise, you need to cut a hole in the subframe.

volkswheels

Vendor
TDI
2006.5 Jetta TDI DSG, 2012 GolfHighline TDI DSG
If you have a mig welder, you can tack it in place through a hole in the bottom of the sub frame. Otherwise, you need to cut a hole in the subframe.
I didn't think of spot welding it, great idea!, I think I will drill one of the small holes a little bigger for easier access :)

Luke N

TDI
2004 Jetta BEW
Fantastic write up! Couldn't find two pieces of wood that are strong enough to save my life... They just kept cracking, the bushing just pushed their way into the wood. The bushing made it most of the way in and I ended up having to use the vise without the wood to push it in the last couple mm. Will try to find some large metal washers to reinforce the wood for the next one.

Everything went smooth for the passenger side. Then all hell broke loose on the driver side... The bolt snaps off in the subframe, and the ball joint refuses to dislodge itself from the wheel bearing housing.

I don't have a welder, and I don't know anyone with one, so I'll probably go the JP Weld route. My question is, what's the best spot to drill a hole in the subframe? I have a Evolution Atlas skid plate. It uses the obvious hole on the bottom just below the nut that's snapped, so I can't drill there. It doesn't look like there's anywhere else comfortable to drill on the bottom. I was thinking the side facing out towards the driver side door. Any problems with structural integrity drilling a hole there?

Also, it'd probably be easier to do this if I just removed the subframe. Anything wrong with this? Anything I should be careful of if I do this?

-Luke

FlyTDI Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS
I'm right in the middle of this job and... one thing I might add is make sure you buy new control arm to ball joint bolts and nutplates. Mine were completely buggered and NOBODY has them in stock locally. Well, one place but it's around 25 miles away and I've got no time to go there. The 13mm and 18mm flanged bolts are one time use only and the 13mm are pretty subject to damage, either by a previous bushing replacement or even alignment(s). Play it safe and buy the bolts and nutplates. Kind of a DOH! thing but thought I'd bring it up to save some potential grief.