Injector issues

Mmgilland

TDI
2001 jetta 1.9L ALH
Hello,

2001 jetta tdi ALH automatic 309xxx miles. Bone stock. Injectors did not tick before rebuilding. Had the injectors rebuilt by DBW LLC and started ticking. Had the 205 nozzles installed. Not sure why he claims there should not be any injected quantity changes but everywhere I look I need to change the injected quantity.
Is this true?

Anyways, I bought a second set of injectors that are for a manual transmission. I pressure checked all four. Two out of four failed. One does not hold pressure and just leaks out the nozzle, the other does not atomize -- just shoots a stream pretty much straight out.
I see that I can rebuild the injectors with new .184 Nozzles. My issue is with the injector that does not hold pressure, can that be salvaged?
I will pop test the injectors that are ticking as well.

I did order a 3rd set of injectors that were rebuilt that grenaded my cylinder head and peppered my #3 piston. Returned that set of rebuilt injectors for a full refund as it only lasted maybe 2 hours of easy use.
Got a new complete Chinese made cylinder head and cleaned up the piston. Reinstalled the ticking injectors and upon a cold start it is smokey and misfires on a single cylinder until it pulls out of it.

Yeah, quite a round-bout of money being spent but do not want to buy a new car yet. So can I rebuild that injector that is not holding pressure or does it need to be rebuilt?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!

burn_your_money

Veteran Member
TDI
99 Beetle, 96 B4V, 05 Passat wagon
The injector almost certainly can be rebuilt. It may need a new intermediate plate as well as the nozzle though.

Ticking can be normal with rebuilt injectors. Because they are atomizing the fuel better, the combustion event is a bit more violent. This can cause a ticking noise (although more commonly described as clacking). That may not be the same noise you are hearing though.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Not sure why you're not using the set you got from DBW, I'm confident he can make you righteous. Has he heard the noise, did he comment?
Diesel engine make a lot of noise, Is it possible your engine just sounds different?
As for injection quantity, much discussion, but the ECU says it's happy with a setting from 2-9. Obviously it helps to fine tune it, but it varies car to car, most like 4-6. Once running the ECU monitors that anyway.