Buying another TDI post buyback announcement

pikawel

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf TDI
Hey all,
Since my TDI is not operational as a daily driver after a recent accident, I was considering buying another TDI. If I purchased a used TDI covered by the buyback, would I actually be able to participate in the buyback with that car?
I read through the documents and the only line that sounded like it could exclude a purchase like this was this one

These tables assume that you owned your car when the emissions accusations became public on September 18, 2015 and that you still own it. If you no longer have your car or if you purchased it after September 18, 2015, then you will be offered a lesser amount, assuming you qualify for the settlement.
Assuming you qualify?

Anyway, I suspect this has been discussed somewhere but I didn't see any threads on the first page.

tanner

Veteran Member
TDI
2005.5 BRM 5-Speed, 2013 Golf TDI 6-Speed, 2011 Golf TDI 6-Speed
no guarantee they will give buyback or restitution, but they will fix it for you free of charge when that comes time if it ever does.. basically summed up everything you need to read. No one knows the outcome, so big gamble if the only reason you'd choose a tdi over something cheaper or different is to make a few dollars..

DanB36

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Q5 Prestige TDI, Monsoon Gray
no guarantee they will give buyback or restitution,
There's as much guarantee for post-6/28 purchasers as there is for pre-6/28 purchasers, and "a few dollars" can easily be "several thousand dollars" (though as I'm seeing prices rise, that's looking increasingly unlikely).