Wwvwd

Elevguy

TDI
2011 Jetta
What would VW do if you fave a hpfp failure. Would they have to fix? Fix and send to crusher? Force you to buy back?

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
The HPFP on a good many of these cars already has an extended warranty on it. (IIRC to 120,000 mi)

If you eventually have "the fix" done, the mandatory warranty for "the fix" includes the HPFP in which case you are good for another 48,000 mi.

The car has to be "operable" in order to qualify for the buyback ... which tells me, you are SOL if you have a HPFP failure and then ask VW to buy it back (because you will have to tow it to the dealer, it won't be "operable").

I refuse to buy any vehicle that has a Bosch CP4-series injection pump. Pretty much means no more diesels for me.

Shawn MacAnanny

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE
I am very interested to hear this. My friend text me a picture of his dash yesterday, flashing glow plug light, check engine light, down on power and he's at 118,500. If he's choosing to trade it in why would vw want to replace the hpfp if that's what it ends up being?

bubbagumpshrimp

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta TDI
WWVWD? Contaminate his fuel sample and blame it on a misfueling. Seriously...he'd better pull a fuel sample himself BEFORE he takes the car to the dealership.

Since this scandal kicked off...I've read multiple reports of them being a complete PITA with warranty repairs of HPFP. They're not going to just do the right thing and repair a car that they're going to have to potentially buy back in short order.

Edit: What should happen though? He's got a 2012 or older TDI with under 120k miles. They SHOULD fix it under warranty.

Last edited:

Shawn MacAnanny

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE
That's a good idea, i'm not sure of any easy way to pull one, maybe from the filter housing? But how would you prove that it came from that car if there was a discrepancy?

I think he's already dropped it off to the dealer anyway.

bubbagumpshrimp

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta TDI
A hose and a container (fuel tank).

My $.02...if I were to have a HPFP failure under warranty...I would have my car towed to an independent shop and pay out of pocket for them to do a fuel analysis before I did anything else.

If you get a report back that the fuel isn't contaminated, you'd at least have a leg to stand on with VW. I just don't see them voluntarily ponying up to do the right thing at this point.

If I was him...I would keep my fingers crossed. Hopefully he licks out and they take care of him.

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Personally, at this point, if the car is still capable of moving under its own power, I'd park it, buy some other vehicle, and let VW buy it back when the time comes. It has to be "operable". I wouldn't want to drive it for any length of time with those faults; it might soon no longer be "operable" ...

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
In this case? Absolutely do what "GoFaster" says. Park the car and find other transportation. If he's nervous about driving it any further, have it towed to the street outside the dealership, fire it up and drive it onto the lot. And maybe take a witness that he did that.