FS: 2004 .:R-TDI — 4motion PD150 TDI in R32!!

danielhf

Veteran Member
TDI
None anymore...
SOLD

I am selling my 2004 VW R32 to TDI conversion. You can find the details of this conversion here. The time and money put into this vehicle greatly exceed the asking price, but that is how projects like this go. You will likely not see another car like this for sale.

Asking for $10,500. Clean title. Located in Milwaukee, WI. Serious inquiries only. I will consider reasonable offers, but no low-ballers please.

Please message with questions

VW R32 TDI Conversion Timeline

Donor PD150 Golf (w/80k miles on odometer) purchased in 2009
  • Installed into 02 Jetta Wagon TDI in Spring 2010
  • Timing belt done at 80k miles, converted to BEW setup
  • Installed modified 02M 6 speed TDI transmission from PD150 (specs at bottom)
  • Put another 44k miles on this motor while in the wagon
R32 bought at 102k miles spring 2012
Installed the PD150 motor, transmission, etc. in the R32 with 106k miles on it Fall 2012

• Reset odometer to reflect mileage of chassis
  • Put 28k miles on since swap (72k miles since timing belt was done, 152k miles on this motor, head has never come off) - 134k miles showing on instrument cluster

Mod List

Motor - 246 AWHP 343 AWTQ on eddy current dyno
  • VW PD150 (code ARL) European engine PD diesel engine
  • Colt stage II cam
  • Fratelli Bosio R783 injectors on PD150 bodies
  • Custom ARP head studs
  • Garrett GTB2260K turbo w/tubular exhaust manifold and custom 2.5" downpipe
  • TD tuning custom tune, immobilizer delete
  • PD in-tank lift pump installed into R32 housing
  • FMIC w/2.5" aluminum tubing
  • AEM dry-flow cone filter
  • 034 Motorsport machined MAF housing
  • Dieselgeek bypass oil filter
  • BFI stage I engine and transmission mounts
  • Magnaflow exhaust
Transmission
  • SBC Stg 2+ clutch kit - brand new, under 100 miles
  • SBC 28lb SMF - brand new, under 100 miles
  • 02M 6 speed manual transmission (code ERF) gears (TDI ratios) put into Audi TT 02M 4motion case (FHB) w/transfer case
  • Peloquin 02M 4motion LSD
  • Welded/reinforced shift forks
Suspension
  • Koni FSD w/Eibach Pro Kit springs - brand new, under 100 miles
  • H&R rear sway bar
Other
  • Hella CELIS headlights and OEM Euro switch
  • TDI Badges
  • FIS instrument cluster w/TMC and VW MFD Navi G
  • Suede R32 front seats with embroidered stitching
  • McNally digital Boost/EGT gauge
  • BBS RC (OEM VW) - with some curb rash

Issues
  • Tubing to lift pump require re-plumbing - currently runs out of fuel after about 400 miles, fuel gauge still reads near full
  • Electrical drain somewhere in the system, which drains the battery when parked for more than a few consecutive days - car currently has a battery kill-switch wired to handle this issue
  • Glow plugs manually wired to a switch (done when testing for the electrical drain), they should be wired back so that the ECU can activate/deactivate them
  • A/C working until recently when a line was broken during maintenance
  • There seems to be low vacuum after replacing the brake booster and brakes (new Hawk HPS pads) require excessive force to operate
  • Cruise control does not currently work, have not investigated why
  • Peeling clear coat like most tornado red R32s
  • Windshield has a crack
  • Bumper and side skirts had been replaced with used ones off a Reflex Silver R32
  • Car needs interior black trim that goes above driver foot well to conceal wiring above pedal cluster

This car will also come with the 11x17 wiring charts (mostly hand-written) and a spare EDC15+ ECU that is tuned already for the car by TD Tuning.

Photos
Exterior

Suede Seats

OEM Navi

FIS Instrument Cluster (showing OEM navigation)

Turbo/exhaust manifolf/downpipe
https://app.box.com/shared/static/ezv2zws1mr4l55szlfewco1i52a1lhsw.png (limited to 10 images in the post)

Dyno

And here are some videos of it I took the other day when taking some of the pictures posted above:

Driving off:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPse09DBtVU&feature=youtu.be

Dive-by 1:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PK1SkoekqpM&feature=youtu.be

Drive-by 2:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xiNGuMQu5Bo&feature=youtu.be

Last edited:

Stromaluski

Veteran Member
TDI
'67 Deluxe Bus, '80 Rabbit Truck, '92 Corrado, '10 Cup Edition
This is a super cool car. If I was in a position to buy another car, I'd be looking at it pretty hard. Good luck with it!

nomorotors

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 Jetta 5-Speed, 01 Jetta 5-Speed, 02 Jetta 5-Speed Conversion, 04 Passat 5-Speed Conversion, 05 Passat 5-Speed Conversion, 05 Passat Wagon
A nice interior detail may be in order for a 14yr old VW with a $12,000 asking price.
At least drop 3 quarters into the local carwash vacuum cleaner.
-Jason

3L3M3NT

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta GLS TDI, 04 RTDI
It's sad to see that you're selling it :( since your car was the whole reason why I wanted a TDI swapped R32 and as luck would have it, ended up getting one :D

Hopefully it goes to a good home and they can fix those few issues and when the clearcoat peel gets bad enough can give it a re-spray.

GLWS and what's going to replace it?

danielhf

Veteran Member
TDI
None anymore...
Thanks for the kind words Fix_Until_Broke and 3L3M3NT!

I'm currently "daily" driving a 2012 Golf R with an IE450T kit in it which makes for a fun car. Getting 50% the economy isn't great, but I'm not driving much these days.

I too hope that this ends up in the hands of someone who will have some fun with it!

mz1

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 GTD Stage III / 2015 Touareg TDI LUX Stage II
Peloquin 02M 4motion LSD - he listed this on his description....

my question would be...is this a part time like the original R32 or full time 4 motion?

danielhf

Veteran Member
TDI
None anymore...
Peloquin 02M 4motion LSD - he listed this on his description....

my question would be...is this a part time like the original R32 or full time 4 motion?
This is the same AWD setup as the original R32—power is routed to the rear wheels when the ABS system detects slip (using a gen. 1 Haldex setup found in the original R32 and MKI Audi TT).

dunerking

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta TDI
Damn,if I knew I could get this registered in California I'd seriously be considering it. Make for fun commutes to work.

danielhf

Veteran Member
TDI
None anymore...
Damn,if I knew I could get this registered in California I'd seriously be considering it. Make for fun commutes to work.
Yeah, I am not sure what the process of getting this registered in CA is, but I can't imagine it's easy. When I had this in CA, it still had WI plates ;)

quantum_tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
R320 CDI, '96 B4V (for sale)
Huh, so maybe we should full circle the whole TDI purchase... That '02 hacked into a Jolf wagon was your first one, no? ;-)

Good luck with the sale, I'm currently up to my eyeballs in B4s and a Mercedes nightmare.

Last edited:

danielhf

Veteran Member
TDI
None anymore...
Huh, so maybe we should full circle the whole TDI purchase... That '02 hacked into a Jolf wagon was your first one, no? ;-)

Good luck with the sale, I'm currently up to my eyeballs in B4s and a Mercedes nightmare.
The 02 Wagon was the 2nd TDI, had a MKIV sedan first ;)

Thanks! So much diesel fun. Been tinkering with a MKVI R myself.

sackman

Veteran Member
TDI
2(2003) 2Dr ARL/ASV
Insane price for all that went into this! You could part it out and make money just on the R32 components alone. Free bump.

sackman

Veteran Member
TDI
2(2003) 2Dr ARL/ASV
Thanks! Definitely getting quite a few messages about the car but not sold yet.
If you take care of those easy yet annoying fixes it’d be sold three times over.

(The fuel gauge, ac line, find battery drain, & get cruise control working.)

Registering shouldn’t be an issue in all states, with exception for the control-state that is California.

Last edited:

mz1

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 GTD Stage III / 2015 Touareg TDI LUX Stage II
If you take care of those easy yet annoying fixes it’d be sold three times over.

I agree with Sackman, the "issues" is the reason this awesome car has not sold yet.

danielhf

Veteran Member
TDI
None anymore...

Registering shouldn’t be an issue in all states, with exception for the control-state that is California.
I agree with Sackman, the "issues" is the reason this awesome car has not sold yet.
I absolutely agree, and if all of these issues were addressed, I'd be looking for more than $10,500. I am sure that I would have gotten it already as well.

That said, the car is being stored 100 miles away from me and due to my current commitments, I do not have the time to devote to getting this car to where it needs to be. Thus, it's still available for the type of buyer who is looking to take on this project and get this car to an optimal state (I am in talks with a few different parties at this point, so I don't expect it to be around much longer).

If someone were just looking to make a buck and had endless amounts of time, parting this car out wouldn't be a terrible idea (though it would be pretty sad for me).

quantum_tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
R320 CDI, '96 B4V (for sale)
You just need to get fired from a job, be independently wealthy, etc. Danny... C'mon your critics want you to fix everything and then offer you a low amount ;-)

I just got heated leather Cabrio seats to go into the Passat. I'm sure someone will claim it is worth less because it doesn't have the original ****ty cloth...

danielhf

Veteran Member
TDI
None anymore...
You just need to get fired from a job, be independently wealthy, etc. Danny... C'mon your critics want you to fix everything and then offer you a low amount ;-)

I just got heated leather Cabrio seats to go into the Passat. I'm sure someone will claim it is worth less because it doesn't have the original ****ty cloth...
HAHAHAH :D

Yeah Kyle, that is exactly how it is ;)