FOR SALE: 1998 VW Jetta TDI with waste vegetable oil (WVO) conversion

sameoldmike

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 VW Jetta TDI
FS: 1998 VW Jetta TDI with waste vegetable oil (WVO) conversion [Baltimore, Maryland]

CAR SOLD FOR $5300. THANKS EVERYONE FOR YOUR INTEREST.

325k miles. 5-speed manual transmission. Power locks. Manual windows.
$5,000 or best offer, selling as-is. Car located in Baltimore, Maryland.

I am so sorry to sell this great car, but I’m leaving the country soon and need to give it a good home. Available for sale from late May to late June, but we can work with your schedule.

Well maintained and treated with love. Regular oil changes. Comes with a log book of repairs and maintenance work going back to mile 25,000. Never been in an accident. No major body damage, just small dents and scrapes from clueless parallel parkers. Undercarriage has some rust.

Recent major repairs

• mile 292k: new front brake pads/rotors
  • mile 290k: glow plugs replaced
  • mile 286k: new timing belt, water pump, valve cover gasket
  • mile 285k: four new tires
  • mile 272k: injection pump re-sealed (TDI mechanic said the injection pump looks CLEAN inside, no sign of the WVO horror stories you hear on this forum)
  • likely next necessary repairs: suspension tune-up, new windshield

Save the planet and your wallet with (free) vegetable oil instead of $4.50/gal diesel

Car is converted to run on waste vegetable oil. I have driven over 100,000 miles since converting the car with a Frybrid WVO kit, which is one of the best on the market due to its engine-protecting safety features. The major safety feature is automatic switchover from diesel to vegetable oil when the oil has come to the proper temperature. Car has two tanks: one is the stock diesel tank, the other is a 15-gallon Frybrid tank mounted in the trunk that contains the vegetable oil. For more information about the WVO system, see www.frybrid.com.

The Frybrid kit will let you save tons of money without destroying your engine by putting vegetable oil directly into your fuel tank, which is a very bad idea! Run biodiesel and veg oil and completely eliminate petroleum products from your fuel!

I did the conversion work myself, I’ve helped others convert their cars, I have a Ph.D. in Environmental Engineering, and I am willing to help you troubleshoot or to become acquainted with WVO via email/skype/phone FOR THE LIFETIME OF THE CAR. If you wish, I will include everything you need to collect, filter, and clean WVO. The entire system! I will even include a regular source of good quality WVO (Japanese restaurant) in Baltimore City.

Engine runs great. I expect another 100,000 miles from this car without problems. This car is a BEAST.

Great sound system with MP3/CD player that accepts a USB flash drive.

See for yourself! Contact Mike for more info.
[FONT=&quot]

[/FONT]

Interior still in good condition. No cigarette smoking has been allowed inside.
[FONT=&quot]

[/FONT]
The decal can be removed fairly easily, if you wish. It's made of VISION material, which is opaque from the outside but transparent from inside the car.
[FONT=&quot]

[/FONT]

Power ON/OFF switch for the WVO system.
[FONT=&quot]

[/FONT]

Even with the mounted tank, there is still a ton of trunk space, especially if you fold the back seat down. I still haul bikes, IKEA furniture, etc. German engineering! [FONT=&quot]

[/FONT]
All the under-the-hood modifications are visible here.
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

Last edited:

dbranson

TDI
6/15/2011 - 2000 Jetta TDI 5-spd
If you don't mind, I have a couple noob questions. Will it still burn diesel also? That'd be nice if you're on the road and can't find WVO. It seems like the answer is yes, but it's not clear to me...

Also, how did you find a place for WVO? Start calling around asking?

sameoldmike

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 VW Jetta TDI
Yes, it still runs diesel. In fact, you always need to keep diesel in the stock tank so that you can start and stop the car with diesel. You can read more about this on frybrid.com

There is a power switch near the steering wheel (8th picture) that allows you to switch the entire system on and off. When the system is off, the car runs exactly as a stock Jetta, drawing fuel from and returning fuel to the stock diesel tank.

To find oil, I brought my car to local businesses and asked to speak to a manager. I told them what I wanted, they usually were incredulous, and then I'd show them my car, and they were more than willing to help. Finding oil is pretty easy. Every restaurant has some, and the whole disposal process is annoying/gross for them.

bigwoode

Veteran Member
TDI
Hunting - previous 2001.5 Jetta
Could I run Bio instead of WVO? NY doesn't play around with that kind of stuff, I have been running Bio for 3 years.

sameoldmike

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 VW Jetta TDI
Yeah, you get 2 tanks, so you can put whatever fuels you want in there. But you'd be paying for the WVO kit included with the car, so if you're just going to run biodiesel, you could purchase just any TDI.

greasyrides

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Golf - sold, 1990 Corrado TDI - sold :(
If you get no takers on the WVO collection/filtration equipment I may be interested, depending on what you have.
I also would be interested in picking up your WVO source if you get an out of area buyer for the car.
I gave up two of my sources last year since I ended up with way more oil than I could handle. Now I need to start sourcing oil again.
Good luck with the sale of the car (and the move out of the country)!

sameoldmike

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 VW Jetta TDI
If you get no takers on the WVO collection/filtration equipment I may be interested, depending on what you have.
I also would be interested in picking up your WVO source if you get an out of area buyer for the car.
I gave up two of my sources last year since I ended up with way more oil than I could handle. Now I need to start sourcing oil again.
Good luck with the sale of the car (and the move out of the country)!
greasyrides: thanks for the well wishes. you are free to have the WVO source. they are setting up a contract now, but I bet you could get to them first. contact me privately: sameoldmike@gmail.com