Strange happening, trunk pops open shortly after closing

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
My car is a 2015 Passat Highline (SEL)

I've been driving and owning cars for over 4 decades and all but two had a trunk. So I think I'm reasonably well acquainted as to how to close a trunk.

Since about two weeks ago, every once in a while the trunk pops open on its own accord. I do NOT carry my KESSY key-fob in my pocket. There is nothing that could accidentally hit the trunk button.

Has anyone else experienced this?

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL, 2015 Passat TDI SEL
Any chance there is a spare fob errantly left in the trunk? The Kessy cars try to refuse to let you lock a key in . . .

Oh, and no - both 2013 and 2015 SEL Passats here, and never seen that . . .

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Any chance there is a spare fob errantly left in the trunk? The Kessy cars try to refuse to let you lock a key in . . .

Oh, and no - both 2013 and 2015 SEL Passats here, and never seen that . . .
No second key-fob is left at home. I do know about the second set in the car. When I spend the winter in Mexico, I wrap the second set in aluminum foil in a suitcase.

I'm going to spray the locking mechanism with WD40, maybe it needs some lubrication.

Last edited:

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
my only guess is maybe a wiring issue, maybe the beginning of a short in the door loom or maybe the rear trunk release handle? I'd try disconnecting either of the switches and see if it persists.

The trunk button is disabled while the car is moving, so that's why it may seem more random.

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
We’ve owned the 2013 Passat in my sig since new, and what you described has happened twice that I can recall. No fob left in the car (no door will lock if a fob is left in the car, just as trunk will not remain locked if left in trunk). There was no reason evident why the trunk popped open those two times. It remains a mystery, but twice in five years hasn’t been a particular source of worry, either.

Gilty_one

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Touareg Execline 3.0 V6 TDI; 2012 Jetta Highline TDI
I was having issues with my Jetta trunk. The wiring where it follows the hinge into the trunk (showed signs of wear) especially where the harness flexed once I stripped it of the protective wrap and tape - the wires show stress, wire coating broken and exposed copper wires (including a few broken wires).

I would suspect that some wires have lost the insulation and may be shorting and or energizing (popping your trunk) when the car hits a bump or other flex inducing motion.

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I was having issues with my Jetta trunk. The wiring where it follows the hinge into the trunk (showed signs of wear) especially where the harness flexed once I stripped it of the protective wrap and tape - the wires show stress, wire coating broken and exposed copper wires (including a few broken wires).

I would suspect that some wires have lost the insulation and may be shorting and or energizing (popping your trunk) when the car hits a bump or other flex inducing motion.

I'll have a look for that, but I have barely 40,000 km (25,000 Miles) on the clock. Wiring should be OK.

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Had a look at the wiring today, all is A1. Sprayed with WD40 too. Never had the trunk pop today. Every time I walked away I kept looking back to check.