Installing engine with manual 5 speed?

simonbee

TDI
2005 Passat 2L TDI
I have both engine and transmission out. I like to couple the engine to the transmission before installation the frame. I am sure it has been done, wondering if it more difficult than installing both individually.

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
05 GLS BHW sedan 5 speed conversion. BHW Carver SantaCruz in progress
I second that. No need for an alignment. Unless you have a lift and transmisson jack i would always pull them together.

simonbee

TDI
2005 Passat 2L TDI
Thank you for the reply. Do you have the engine and transmission mounts installed in the chassis or on the engine and the transmission? How well does the assembly balance the hoist? TKS

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
With a load leveler it balances nicely. I had the rear mounts installed before putting in the power train. I put the front mounts in after i barely started the rear mount bolts, exhaust and shifter linkage.

vwztips

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat GLS Wagon TDI 5 spd manual w/BSM delete 2011 Tiguan TDI/DSG 2005 Audi A4 Avant 6MQ TDI 2011 BMW X5 35d
Put the front motor mounts on the engine before installation, otherwise you cannot effectively reach the 13mm nut for the right side mount. Also double check your motor mount part #'s end in AR. If AE then they are the old style and probably shot.

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
I didn't have any issues reaching the 13mm nut on the top of the mount. Its acually eaiser to reach than the top exhaust manifold flange nuts on the v6 passats. I have stub metric wrenches these work perfect on...purchased a cheap 13 dollar ebay set just for the v6 exhaust, ended up working well on the motor mount too.

I finger tighten the motor mounts in the frame then lower the motor onto the top studs. When removing I take the 13mm nuts off the mounts top and bottom before pulling the motor.

I do all this after i attach the shifter linkage. So much more room to do this with the front of the motor raised as high as possible and transmisson hanging low as possible.