www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIII-A3/B4 TDIs

VW MKIII-A3/B4 TDIs This is a discussion about MKIII-A3/MkIII Jetta/Golf (<99.5) and B4 Passats (96,97) TDI's. Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed.

Old March 1st, 2003, 22:07   #1
VW Derf
Administrator

Fuel Economy: 5.9L / 100km
Default Frequently asked Questions

Before asking a question, please check out the TDIFAQ (TDI Frequently Asked Questions). Often you'll find your answers quicker than waiting for someone else to reply to your Frequently Asked Questions(FAQ).

Of course if you can't find them in there, feel free to post.
VW Derf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2004, 09:24   #2
dieselbill

Default Re: Boost Pressure Control Valve

My 97' Passat TDI has an apparently stuck boost pressure control valve and the VW dealer wants to replace the whole turbocharger assembly. There must be a better way! Cannot buy BPCV from VW or anyone else? Would appreciate ANY suggestions. Lobstabill
dieselbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2005, 13:51   #3
XMass

Default what about a series of more specific how-to-do-it?

Would it be possible to create a series of how-to-do-it FAQ's based on the knowledge contained in these pages. I know that you have general FAQ’s and they certainly give an overview, but when I do a search I tend to find much more specific information about how to solve or do X

So just from reading the forums I now know - for example
a. About cluster problems, what to look for and how to fix them i.e. get an optima red top battery (or I could try and crack it open and get the board resoldered)
b. How to get the best from my brakes
c. That if I start to have ECU problems I should swap out the vacuum hoses (possibly including the one inside the ECU, or if I’m (lucky?) that I should see if I can get a free manifold fix along with a new ECU.
d. That I may well have MAF issue’s
e. That I should change out my power voltage regulator before it goes wrong
f. etc
It would be good if there was a more specific this is what your going to need – this is what you ‘probably’ will need to do. I'm only mentioning this in passing, I don’t know enough to do a FAQ myself, nor do I have the board access to do it but you guys know tons and it would be wonderfully helpful!!!
XMass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2005, 05:13   #4
aussie2005tdi

Default Re: what about a series of more specific how-to-do-it?

I am only new to the site ,but have found it amazingly informative.It has been constructed in such a way that a new member can quickly(with thought)locate the correct forum,even if there vehicle is not available in the U.S. It probably would help if a member could contact another member that they had met on the forum, without having to clog up the forum eg I met someone on the forum who was buying same car in Western Australia, only way to keep tabs on problems is through forum. This must take up a lot of space. Maybe a quick help on how to set up a hotmail or google email may help them keep it off your pages
aussie2005tdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2005, 08:48   #5
MichiganMan

Default \'98 Jetta getting \"low\" MPG!!!

I have a 1998 Jetta TDI, and seem to be getting "poor" gas mileage compaired to the norm. I consistently get 40-42mpg with mostly highway drive'n with my cruise set at 78mph... tire pressure is at 42psi on all 4... any suggestions to get the 50+mpg that everyone else is getting????? I've had the car for 3 years...runs perfect otherwise, but is something wrong?
MichiganMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2005, 16:05   #6
Truckeratlarge

Fuel Economy: 56/39/33
Default Re: \'98 Jetta getting \"low\" MPG!!!

You seem to be getting the mpg of an automatic as opposed to a 5-speed. Which trans. does you car have?
Truckeratlarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2005, 13:28   #7
upsguy

TDI(s): 1999
Fuel Economy: 51/50

try slowing down to about 70 mph
upsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2005, 15:47   #8
rdkern
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: A4 = wife drives it, don't know

You might want to look at your intake or timing. Timing is more likly to be a small problem, and if you're at the bottom of the "acceptable" graph, you might gain several MPG by adjusting towards the top of that graph.
rdkern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2006, 18:39   #9
jjudd

TDI(s): '97 Passat

REo I really need to read this.
Man, I'm really glad I read that. VERY INTERESTING as Shultze would say.
THANKS,
JJ
jjudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2006, 09:44   #10
Colraindub
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 45

How about some FAQ about Mk3 vs. Mk4. I know I hear a lot of stuff in the performance section, but its all Mk4 Related.
Old May 12th, 2006, 11:14   #11
ThatRickGuy
Veteran Member

TDI(s): '06 Golf

Heres a good FAQ question, exactly what cars/years are considered A3/B4s?

N/M, I just saw it int the forum description: "A3/B4 TDIs This is a general discussion about A3/MkIII Jetta/Golf (<99.5) and B4 Passats (96,97) TDI's. Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed."

-Rick
ThatRickGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2006, 11:16   #12
BleachedBora

A3: 1993-1999 (tdi 1997-1999)
B4: 1993-1997 (tdi 1996-1997)
-BB
BleachedBora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2008, 23:38   #13
sauvesun
Default 1995 A3 jetta diesel repair manual????

Hi there, just wondering if anyone can help me with a repair manual for my 1995 Jetta diesel, the car recently had its heater core replaced and i am left with sorting out the electrical nightmare
any leads would be appreciated
Thanks
Rico
sauvesun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2008, 14:26   #14
davebugs

Default Instructions? - heater core replacement 96 Jetta

Can't find a writeup on this anywhere. I've searched and poked around here and the vortex.

I hope it's not as unpleasant as the 91 Passatt heater core that I did.

Anyone have a link to a writeup here or elsewhere?

Thanks,

Dave
davebugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2008, 14:09   #15
cgrillmair

Default Intake system leak check?

Howdy

In going through GoFaster's excellent low-power troubleshooting guide, in secion 2d he mentions that the red hose comes straight from the turbo compressor discharge. In 2f he suggests comparing red hose and black hose pressure readings. If these readings are the same, can I assume that the intake system is reasonably unobstructed and airtight at least up to the intake manifold?

Just for background, I just bought a 97 Jetta tdi (somewhere between 100 and 150K miles on it) and have been having an awful time on hills. I replaced the intercooler-ecu and intra-ecu hoses and now the power loss has become intermittant rather than constant. I checked my red/black/blue hose pressures this morning. I don't get instant boost to 12 psi at 2500 RPM and 3rd gear and flooring it, but rather only 9 or 10. I have to wait till I get to > 3500 RPM before I'm getting 12 PSI. Red and black hoses give almost identical results, leading me to believe that most of the intake system is ok. However, my blue hose yields 0 PSI under all conditions. I'm slowly coming to grips with the possiblity that there may be something wrong with the turbo, and why the guy sold it to me at blue book (when all other high-mpg small cars are rapidly increasing in value)...

Carl
cgrillmair is offline   Reply With Quote