www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIII-A3/B4 TDIs

VW MKIII-A3/B4 TDIs This is a discussion about MKIII-A3/MkIII Jetta/Golf (<99.5) and B4 Passats (96,97) TDI's. Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed.

Old December 22nd, 2013, 21:39   #1
speedbump71

Default Liquimoly Diesel Intake Cleaner

Anybody ever used this stuff? I cleaned my intake the hard way last week, but I wonder if something like this every once in a while might help prevent any build up.

http://liquimoly-servicepartner.com/...ystem-cleaner/

Last edited by speedbump71; December 22nd, 2013 at 22:00.
speedbump71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2013, 21:52   #2
8v-of-fury

Dang, looks super easy.

I'd give it a go if I didn't just do it the "hard way" too haha.
Old December 23rd, 2013, 08:10   #3
curtludwig
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: '98 - 47-53mpg, '05 - 44-48mpg

If it seems too good to be true, it probably is. Remember they're spraying that into the intake. Where do you think the crud is going?
Old December 23rd, 2013, 08:24   #4
8v-of-fury

Right out the exhaust? lol

That stuff probably turns the soot in to a chemical "fuel" burnable by the engine.
Old December 23rd, 2013, 10:01   #5
KLXD
Veteran Member

I figger all that crap just gets washed further down the pipe and settles out.

"Look customer, nice clean EGR valve! That'll be $200."

Current: 02 Jetta, Auto; 98 Jetta, 5 Spd; 98 Dodge, 5 Spd, SB, 4x4; 84 Grand Wagoneer with Nissan SD33T, NV4500, Dana 300, Reverse Cut Dana 44, Dana 60

The Black Sheep (Only gasser): 85 CJ, 4.2 w/4.0 Head and Mopar FI.

Past: 85 Mitsubishi PU, 4D55T; 81 Rabbit, 1.6; 80 Dasher, 1.5; 79 Rabbit, 1.5
KLXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2013, 11:10   #6
8v-of-fury

The way I see it, people have been doing that with "Seafoam" for a long long time. This is just a diesel safe version of that, one which isn't so much of a fuel for runaways maybe??
Old December 23rd, 2013, 12:48   #7
curtludwig
Veteran Member

As long as all the pieces are broken completely into a slurry theres a possibility they could move through the system completely without hurting the car. If chunks of crud get loose and get into cylinders and pounded between the piston and valves you'll wish you hadn't...
Old December 23rd, 2013, 13:05   #8
8v-of-fury

If the liquid in the cylinder doesn't provide a situation for bent rods or valves, I don't see the mushy soot to be an issue either?

That stuff in the intake is pretty soft after all.
Old December 23rd, 2013, 14:20   #9
curtludwig
Veteran Member

Cripes you're right I didn't even think about liquid in the cylinder pounding holes in the pistons...

"Magic beans"
Old December 23rd, 2013, 16:45   #10
8v-of-fury

I don't think it is as huge an issue as you are making it out to be, clearly water injection setups aren't out there destroying anything.

LoL.
Old December 23rd, 2013, 20:50   #11
Digital Corpus
Veteran Member

Given that the solvent can rev up the engine, it is a fuel that some diesel engine can run on. I wouldn't worry about piston pitting.
Old December 23rd, 2013, 21:01   #12
john.jackson9213
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 1996 B4V

Mouse Milk, nothing more.
1996 B4V, Hella E-Codes, GLX leather, EuroTuning.cz 02A 6 speed conversion w/.71 5th and .588 6th gear, A4 shift linkage by Matt-98AHU. 11 mm pump by Oldpoopie. Now, GTC1549VZ turbo by Whitbread. TDtuning, 24 lbs. boost, 162 hp, 285 lb/ft tq. Smoke Free (9/18/15). Koni Yellows and Big Brake 5 lug conversion.
john.jackson9213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2013, 04:42   #13
Abacus
That helpful B4 guy

Fuel Economy: And the miles just keep ticking away

I'll send this over, install it and try the 'cleaner' on your car, then let us know how it goes.

Abacus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2013, 04:53   #14
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Fuel Economy: fantastic

The BG guys were here a few years back, and saw that we had several TDIs in the shop. They mentioned a system they had that was pretty much identical to this by the sound of it, that hooks into their gasser decarb system (which I own, and it works quite well).

I asked him about diesel runaway, hydrolocking, etc. and they answered with "No, I don't think you have to worry about any of that". So I said "OK, send us the setup with enough product to do a couple cars, and we'll try it out."

A week went buy, never heard anything. I was genuinely interested, as BG seems to make good stuff, and I have had good luck with their gasser intake cleaner system over the years. I eventually called them, and they said "Oh, sorry, we can't sell any more, we suspended the product, too many techs were blowing engines up".

So, while I think the idea of this sounds great, in practice it probably is a little too sketchy to work in a manner that doesn't offer too much possibility of catastrophe. Granted, you could tooef a gasser, too, if you were not careful, but that is MUCH less likely to happen.

I think the only way for this to work would be to take it slow... VERY slow. And it may end up taking SO long and using SO much product (and fuel) that it would be just as easy to yank the EGR/intake off and manually clean it. At least on the TDIs. Luckily, with ULSD the gunking is very much reduced. But in light of that, it makes me wonder if a system like this would be more useful for periodic cleaning since the "clogging shut" issues have vanished.

I've since talked to the BG folks again, and they have a newer system in place that is supposed to be safer. I have not decided yet if I want to try it out.

http://www.bgprod.com/catalog/diesel...#bg-product-13

Last edited by oilhammer; December 24th, 2013 at 04:55.
oilhammer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2013, 05:41   #15
Votblindub
Veteran Member

When I posted about it, the responses were essentially saying that it's a good maintenance product AFTER cleaning the intake out. It makes sense to me to be cautious of dislodging pieces falling into the combustion chamber or jamming a valve open. Obviously, if you just dump out a cup of it in the intake, you could hyrdolock the motor, but I might pick up a can to use on the residue on the intake only after it's off the motor, so there's no risk involved. If you guys want to, let me know, I can find some and make a video so we can see what comes out of an intake that's not been cleaned. It might turn all that oily sooty goodness into fluid or make it fall out in chunks. I plan to use it as a maintenance product though. It's quick and easy enough to squirt some in the intake past the MAF or just remove that rubber elbow in front of my EGR. I have a MK4, but I don't think it makes a difference for the purposes of just seeing HOW it affects the gunk in the intake and to see what comes out of it.

Sprint 520 Nozzles, 2.5 inch catless mufflerless BuzzKen exhaust, Malone stage 3 chip, 01M, Frostheater Full details
Full details
FB page for wagon lovers I have VAGCOM/VCDS
Votblindub is offline   Reply With Quote