Is Rotella T6 Synthetic 5W-40 OK in a PD?

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta GLS TDI Pumpe Duce Platinum Grey w/ Leather
I've been using Motul 5W-40 VW 505.01 oil (changed by me) in my '04 Jetta PD ever since the dealer discontinued the Castrol TXT 5W-40 oil and at 151,000 miles I have zero camshaft and lifter issues on the original camshaft and lifters (I am the original owner). I think Motul is great oil (at 100,000 miles I had Blackstone labs analyze the oil with 10,000 miles on it and it had 16 ppm iron in it, that's it), but I have to go out of my way to the VW dealer and get it (I buy nothing else from the dealer). Last time I bought a 5-liter jug, it was about $40. I would like to find a comparable oil that costs less and is easier to get.

Walmart carries Shell Rotella T-6 for about $22 a gallon. The Motul costs $30.28 for a gallon, doing the conversion to gallons. The Rotella is 2/3 the cost and I can pick it up while shopping for my weekly staples.

But I need some real convincing to make the switch. Who on here has a PD that has higher miles on it and that used Rotella T-6 Synthetic 5W-40 oil for most of its life and that still has the original camshaft and lifters and runs fine? I would love to hear from you. All the better if you have had an oil analysis using the Shell Rotella.

Thanks.

--Nate

Last edited:

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
Nate, personally, I spend the extra $4 to step up to the Mobil 5W40 product.

FWIW, I saw Valvoline 5W40 505.01 oil at my local Wmart this past week for $7.17/qt.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
Either Rotella T-6, or Mobil 1 TDT are fine, though if you live in a cold climate T-6 has a slight edge for cold starts according to reports here in the forums.

dieselpower04

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Golf GLS TDI (sold)
Ive been using the T6 for 2 oil changes now. Good stuff IMO :) I was using M1 TDT but wanted to save a few bucks and the T6 is much easier to find

TooSlick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Audi 100S
I'd use the Mobil 1/TDT...the additive chemistry is similar to the Motul, but the TDT is formulated a bit thicker.

TS

deadend9009

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 Wagon
Be careful, the T6 you buy at Walmart is actually 3.78 liters rather than the usual 5 or 5.5 the jugs from other retailers sell, make sure you buy enough.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Be careful, the T6 you buy at Walmart is actually 3.78 liters rather than the usual 5 or 5.5 the jugs from other retailers sell, make sure you buy enough.
My oil changes take 1 gallon (US) plus ca. .33 quart. That comes out to 3.785 liters + .312 liters = 4.097 liters. I then just carry the rest of the quart in the back in case I need to top off during the next 10,000 miles.

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
I've been using Motul 5W-40 VW 505.01 oil (changed by me) in my '04 Jetta PD ever since the dealer discontinued the Castrol TXT 5W-40 oil and at 151,000 miles I have zero camshaft and lifter issues on the original camshaft and lifters (I am the original owner). I think Motul is great oil (at 100,000 miles I had Blackstone labs analyze the oil with 10,000 miles on it and it had 16 ppm iron in it, that's it), but I have to go out of my way to the VW dealer and get it (I buy nothing else from the dealer). Last time I bought a 5-liter jug, it was about $40. I would like to find a comparable oil that costs less and is easier to get.

Walmart carries Shell Rotella T-6 for about $22 a gallon. The Motul costs $30.28 for a gallon, doing the conversion to gallons. The Rotella is 2/3 the cost and I can pick it up while shopping for my weekly staples.

But I need some real convincing to make the switch. Who on here has a PD that has higher miles on it and that used Rotella T-6 Synthetic 5W-40 oil for most of its life and that still has the original camshaft and lifters and runs fine? I would love to hear from you. All the better if you have had an oil analysis using the Shell Rotella.

Thanks.

--Nate
If you decide on the Rotella T6,if you have any Tractor Supply stores nearby it is on sale for $17.99/gal thru Oct 28th....

Jnitrofish

Veteran Member
TDI
2005.5, 2005.5, and 2006. 5m, 5m, and DSG.
I use one US gallon of T6 in our PD DSG Jetta and run it for 20k mile intervals.

I ran TDT for 20k miles intervals as well, but the car just sounds better with T6.

After replacing the worn cam at 53k miles, the car had TDT for the first interval, and then has had T6 for the rest. No wear on the new cam after 80k miles.

Last edited:

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
But why don't they actually use Imperial gallons?:confused::) And drive on the left either??
They used to do the former, but IIRC, only a couple of provinces used to do the latter. I got GREAT gas mileage on a trip to Saskatchewan 42 years ago! Driving on the left isn't a problem if you are on an island; on mainland Europe/North America it is (which is why Sweden switched sides back in the 60s).

Johhny04

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDi
I have been using Rotella T6 for about 40,000 km now, with no issues. I have 283,000 km on the car. Original cam and lifters.

TooSlick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Audi 100S
From what I've seen, all of the 5w-40, CJ-4/SN rated synthetics work fine in the PD. The previous generation, HD diesel oils would be fine too, but are harder to find. Redline, Amsoil and a few other companies still formulate some of these CI-4+/SL chemistries.

TS

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 black ALH Jetta;09 Gasser Jetta
Honestly, just don't put any 30wt/non synthetic/non diesel rated oils in a PD and you will be fine. Same was recommended for earlier TDIs as well. VW 505.01 spec is well, bull crap IMO.

2footbraker

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta, 01 Golf
I have used Rotella for 200k km with no visible chamfer wear. I would use a 5w40 505.01 if I could find one near me. Actually there is Castrol Edge 505.01 local now that I may try out.