Very limited boost after 6 speed 02M transmission install

Mark Rudella

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf - Reflex Silver
Question for you guys...

Just last night, I finally got my new (used) 02M transmission installed. I'm now experiencing issues with very limited performance, because of basically no boost. I've also noticed that the car seems louder than before, almost as if an intercooler pipe had come loose, but double-checking finds nothing of the sort. I've checked the MAF sensor, as it has characteristics of what seems to be a bad MAF, or N75. A quick trip with the VAGCOM shows that the MAF is within spec.

I've read threads about the 6 speed conversions, and namely, AndrewC's thread, which mentions issues with the vehicle speed sensor connection being different on his 98 NB, versus the broken VSS on the transmission he got. He said that he had issues with limited performance since the VSS was not working. However, mine is the not case here, as both sensors are connected and working.

I've also scanned for engine codes, and nothing was present. Could any engine sensors be to blame here? I'm doubting the VSS could be an issue, since the speed is working, and accurate, along with reverse.

To restate the current issue - Car is noticibly louder, has severely limited power and max boost (has almost full boost at 4000 RPM), and sounds as if the upper intercooler pipe, by the headlight, has popped off.

Any thoughts?