www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIII-A3/B4 TDIs

VW MKIII-A3/B4 TDIs This is a discussion about MKIII-A3/MkIII Jetta/Golf (<99.5) and B4 Passats (96,97) TDI's. Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed.

Old February 25th, 2009, 07:57   #31
slapshotjh
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 97 GLX B4V

Ok the local VW dealer says this jumper relay is no longer available. I used part number 3Ao941817. Parts counter guy said its been discontinued since 1998. I read Lug Nuts post about the jumper between line and load. I'll have to look closer at the relay board and see if I can figure out which two ports those are and try to rig something up. Are jumper relays common enough that I might be able to get one at the local Auto Zone or something?
slapshotjh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2009, 08:27   #32
rdkern
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: A4 = wife drives it, don't know

You could make something with a couple of larger spade connectors and some large wire. If you need (and if my car starts this morning) I can provide my best guess as to which slots the connectors should connect. This evening at earliest.
Old February 25th, 2009, 08:32   #33
slapshotjh
Veteran Member

That would be great. Lug Nut mentioned that the fog lights have a similar jumper. My car has fog lights, maybe I'll get lucky and find that its the same jumper and still available.
Old February 25th, 2009, 08:55   #34
rdkern
Veteran Member

My car started. I must have put it in correctly. Come to think of it, I did put a real fog light relay in and replaced the jumper there. I'll see if I can find that if you don't have one in your panel.
Old February 26th, 2009, 05:09   #35
Lug_Nut
TDIClub Enthusiast
Pre-Forum Veteran Member

Be careful! The factory delivery had a metal bridge in the fog lamp relay socket. This allowed the power to the fog lamp wiring for easy dealer installation of this option.
The photo at the top of this thread shows my personal car with that bridging metal piece removed and a proper relay installed in the fog lamp socket (allows fog lamps only with low beams, not with high).
Here's the reason for the caution: The fog lamp relay current capacity is quite likely less than that needed for the glow plugs. The use of a real fog lamp relay repositioned to the glow plug socket may not tolerate being so overloaded for a long time and may melt, burnout, or short circuit.
The use of the originally installed plain metal clip from the fog lamp relay socket will be of sufficient capacity to be used indefinitely in the glow plug circuit on the '97 with the remote, 180, glow plug relay.

Svante Arrhenius 1896

Cogito ergo soy (I think, therefore: Biodiesel)
Lug_Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2009, 07:52   #36
slapshotjh
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lug_Nut
The use of the originally installed plain metal clip from the fog lamp relay socket will be of sufficient capacity to be used indefinitely in the glow plug circuit on the '97 with the remote, 180, glow plug relay.
That is exactly what I did last night. I took the factory fog light jumper out of the donor car and put it in position 12 last night. I seem to have a relay in position 10 for the fog lights, so that stays where it is. I was able to read pins 4 and 6 on the relay board and noticed they were just like the fog light jumper I saw pictured on the site.
Old February 26th, 2009, 09:42   #37
Lug_Nut
TDIClub Enthusiast
Pre-Forum Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdkern
My car started. I must have put it in correctly. Come to think of it, I did put a real fog light relay in and replaced the jumper there. I'll see if I can find that if you don't have one in your panel.
Aha! Too many "it" and "there" and other less well defined descriptive words for me to understand at first.
You didn't put a fog lamp relay in position 12, after all. You put a fog lamp relay in the fog lamp socket.

Svante Arrhenius 1896

Old February 26th, 2009, 09:56   #38
rdkern
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lug_Nut
Aha! Too many "it" and "there" and other less well defined descriptive words for me to understand at first.
You didn't put a fog lamp relay in position 12, after all. You put a fog lamp relay in the fog lamp socket.
Sorry for my confusing post. Some days are like that.

You are correct. The fog light relay was put in when I got my fog lights and replaced the jumper in whatever location that is. I put the white "relay" back in correctly, apparently.
Old July 1st, 2009, 17:11   #39
topgut
Veteran Member

Default 97 B4 fuse/relay panel

I have the knee board out of my 97 TDI B4 right now. It uses the FA ECU. Does anyone want me to take a picture of it? It has the white 'jumper' relay in position 12. No numbers on it. There are VW/Audi numbers on the side of it. I can post them as well. The pic / numbers might be helpfull down the road.......J
topgut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2009, 05:01   #40
Lug_Nut
TDIClub Enthusiast
Pre-Forum Veteran Member

Yes, definitely. Try to not get flash bounce-back that would obscure the code numbers by keeping a slight angle between the camera and the top of the relays. Or use a solid mount, slower 'shutter' speed and no flash. Try a couple to see which reproduces the best detail.
E-mail me the picture file and I'll insert it in the top post with photo credit.

Svante Arrhenius 1896

Old July 31st, 2009, 09:41   #41
VW97JettaTDI
Veteran Member

TDI(s): VW97JettaTDI

ok first off i have a photo of my 97 jetta tdi fuse panel (but dont know how to post it....)
Second i have the following fault codes and my battery drains if i leave it connected.

01050 - Glow Plug Monitoring
35-10 - - - Intermittent
00542 - Needle lift Sensor (G80)
27-00 - Implausible Signal
00513 - Engine Speed Sensor (G28)
03-10 - No Signal - Intermittent
00527 - Intake Manifold Temperature Sensor (G72)
30-00 - Open or Short to Plus
01265 - Exhaust Gas Recirculation Valve (N18)
31-10 - Open or Short to Ground - Intermittent
01117 - Generator Terminal DF Load Signal
27-10 - Implausible Signal - Intermittent
00626 - Glow Plug Indicator Light (K29)
31-10 - Open or Short to Ground - Intermittent
HELP
VW97JettaTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2009, 13:17   #42
VW97JettaTDI
Veteran Member

TDI(s): VW97JettaTDI

i have relay 104 and 180 on mine so i just purchased a 180 from C&M, was the last one and should be here in a couple days, do you think it could be 104 too?

here is my fuse panel http://pics.tdiclub.com/showphoto.ph...0&ppuser=81691

Last edited by VW97JettaTDI; August 4th, 2009 at 15:50.
VW97JettaTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2009, 04:37   #43
Lug_Nut
TDIClub Enthusiast
Pre-Forum Veteran Member

"Glow Plug Monitoring" indicates that the ECU is looking for the equal power consumption of glow plugs 1 and 2 to match the consumption of plugs 3 and 4. That signal comes from relay '180', not relay '103'.
You mentioned that you "have relay '104'...on mine", where is it located in (or on) the relay block?

I'm going to guess, but I suspect that your '97 is like the '97 I used as a donor for my Cabrio conversion and that it needs the '180' relay with its internal monitoring circuit, and that it can't use the less expensive one.

Those first five intermittant faults are all sensors that are connected through the black cylindrical multi-pin plug on the engine head near the clutch end. Check for a less than ideal connection.
I don't think the generator signal runs through this same connection point.
The glow plug indicator lamp may be related to the '180' relay.

Svante Arrhenius 1896

Old August 3rd, 2009, 04:41   #44
Lug_Nut
TDIClub Enthusiast
Pre-Forum Veteran Member

Click on my name to the left, scroll down to "send e-mail", and mail me a copy of the image. I'll be able to post it into the first thread with the other relay block images

Svante Arrhenius 1896

Old August 20th, 2009, 06:35   #45
dieseljunkie
Veteran Member

While logged inm I clicked on the link below and got this message: "You must be a registered user to view images!

To register click on the REGISTER button in the menu above.
"

Anyone else get this? When I clicked "Register" it says I am already a registered user.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW97JettaTDI
i have relay 104 and 180 on mine so i just purchased a 180 from C&M, was the last one and should be here in a couple days, do you think it could be 104 too?

here is my fuse panel http://pics.tdiclub.com/showphoto.ph...0&ppuser=81691
dieseljunkie is offline   Reply With Quote