www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI News/Tech

TDI News/Tech This Forum is for the posting of TDI news related items.

Old February 10th, 2020, 09:36   #16
turbobrick240
Veteran Member

Based on the sales figures, I don't think skyactiv d will hang around for long in this market.
turbobrick240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2020, 11:09   #17
andreigbs
Veteran Member

TDI(s): N/A

Likely not, but if you can find a CPO one in a year or two, they should be priced attractively (one hopes...).
Bora TDI // 146xxx miles // 42 MPG - sold
Jetta TDI // 317xxx miles // 44 MPG - sold
andreigbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2020, 17:03   #18
Smashed Ixnay
Veteran Member

I doubt they'll bring it back, but if they did, I'm sure VW would have tons of old customers come back. I would sell mine and buy a new one just for the newer safety tech if they brought them back. Since I know they're not going to bring them back, I'll keep driving my 15 Passat TDI. I had my issues with it, but I love the dang thing now that it's working again, lol. When I was younger I didn't see why anyone would want to keep an old car, but now I understand and am one of those people. If something happened to my car where it was totaled or something, then I would most likely buy another to replace it.
Smashed Ixnay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2020, 17:20   #19
IndigoBlueWagon
TDIClub Enthusiast
Principal IDParts
Vendor
w/Business number

Fuel Economy: 50/45/37

Referring to a '15 Passat as an old car made me smile. My '15 GSW is the newest car I own. Oldest is a '93 Mercedes 300D, followed by a '97 Passat. That car is still a pleasure to drive despite being 22 years old and approaching 300K miles. Lots of life left.

If diesels don't come back i think I'm set for TDIs for the rest of my life, if necessary.
Old February 10th, 2020, 18:06   #20
Rrusse11
Veteran Member

My new car is an "05 Jeep CRD. {:o)
Just as well my "10 Golf TDI got totalled, much happier with the "02 .
I'm suspicious of the new & improved "features", I want to drive the car,
not a bunch of sensors in control.
RC4: 11mm pump, 17/22, .230 nozzles, 3barMAP,EGR Delete, PD150Intake,SMIC,2.5" Exhaust: Koni Sp Reds, Wagon Springs, ~1"/2"lift:VR6 fr swaybar, Top strut & rear tie bar: 215/55ZR16 GMax AS05's, 10mm/20mm spacers, 35# @: skid plate: 02J, SBC2 End, .717 5th, Peloquin LSD, Fluidampr: TT Short Shifter: : VR6 fr, TT rr Brks: Catchcan

Last edited by Rrusse11; February 10th, 2020 at 18:46.
Rrusse11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2020, 06:58   #21
MPLSTDI
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 06 Jetta DSG
Fuel Economy: Max 54, 44 avg

I loved my 05 Liberty CRD. I wish I still had it. Best car I have had in the snow, heavy with narrow tires, posi and full-time and part-time 4x4. Towing was 5k.
But our family out grew it and I kept the my Jetta and sold the Liby.

BTW an ECM and TCM tune will make you love it even more.
Old February 14th, 2020, 07:52   #22
Fixmy59bug
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Check my Fuelly Tag for most up-to-date numbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbobrick240 View Post
Based on the sales figures, I don't think skyactiv d will hang around for long in this market.
Considering we have been sitting on our initial CX-5 D since we got it last JULY, coupled with the fact that Mazda just IS NOT advertising them AND that they offer almost NO benefit over the gasoline versions, its a dead horse before even leaving the gate.
Old February 14th, 2020, 16:18   #23
quartersaw
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Passat:44mpg Golf 52MPG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fixmy59bug View Post
I'm gonna go against the grain and say we will see diesel come back.

Diesel fuel wont be phased out anytime soon because of over the road hauling. Electric just doesnt have the range that a diesel big rig does, so we are going to be reliant on it for a while longer.

Plus look at how good the buyback TDI's are selling. I'm seeing more on the road today than I was before the scandal. I think people are easy to forgive and forget, especially if Vw can prove to everyone (including CARB and the EPA) that the cars are legitimately as clean as they claim. And I can guarantee, IF Vw wants to bring them in, they will be HEAVILY scrutinized before they are certified for use on our roads.
If I rubbed my finger inside the tailpipe of my (deceased) 2010 JSW, there wasn't any sign of soot. I didn't like the complexity of the emissions system, (etc.) but it was a 'clean' car in my book...
quartersaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2020, 16:24   #24
quartersaw
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Passat:44mpg Golf 52MPG

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB_NB View Post
I am with you on this, It is hard to find an electric car with range while towing. My little TDI still gives me 29 mpg when the trailer is attached to it and I can top up the tank pretty much anywhere in minutes. Electric has lots of catching up in this case.
Battery 'density' (charging ability-length of charge) has to increase by a factor of 15, before batteries can equal gasoline. In the entire history of battery technology, 'density' has only increased by a factor of 10.
If an Li-O2 battery can be successfully developed, the internal combustion engine will fall by the wayside, like film cameras vs. Digital did about 20 years ago...
quartersaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2020, 22:04   #25
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

A new link.

https://www.motor1.com/news/398687/2...lf-gtd-teaser/
Old February 15th, 2020, 09:23   #26
hallkbrdz

TDI(s): BWF, ALH

At $1M an engine to re-introduce it here, I doubt it. It's a shame, as diesel is the better choice for everything but all-out performance (light weight) vehicles.
Old February 15th, 2020, 09:44   #27
adjat84th
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: ~50 in mixed driving

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightflyer1 View Post
We'll never see the GTD over here unfortunately...but why do they insist on not putting the 240hp bi-turbo in the GTD. Guess they don't want to cannibalize the GTI sales.

'01 Jetta | 17/22, 3bar MAP, 11mm IP/Lift pump, PD 150, OMI, FMIC, PP502s, SBC st3, .685 5th, Malone Stage 5
'15 Golf | GTB2260vklr, CP3, Peloquin LSD, Sachs SRE w/DMF, Fluidampr
adjat84th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2020, 12:10   #28
JSH1

Quote:
Originally Posted by soot1 View Post
Maybe I am mistaken on this one, but didn't the Dieselgate Agreement with the US regulatory agencies bar VW from importing any more diesels to the US?
No. The agreement prevented VW from exporting the cars they bought back. The easiest and cheapest thing to do would have been to buy back the TDIs and export them to a country with lower emission standards. The EPA made VW either fix them or scrap them but they couldn't leave the USA.

Last edited by JSH1; February 15th, 2020 at 12:23.
JSH1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2020, 12:23   #29
JSH1

Quote:
Originally Posted by legendman View Post
Saw this article yesterday, does this mean TDI's will be available in the U.S. again?
Diesel are not coming back in the USA and least not for passenger cars. Diesels are dead here and dying in Europe.

Now that the EU regulates CO2 and not fuel economy diesels no longer have a 15% advantage due to fuel density. Countries are also getting rid of favorable tax rates on diesel fuel. Today a DI turbo gas engine with a 48V mild hybrid system gets the same CO2 rating as a diesel. The hybrid system is also cheaper than the emissions on a diesel and doesn't have the stigma of diesel gate.
Old February 15th, 2020, 12:26   #30
JSH1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fixmy59bug View Post
I'm gonna go against the grain and say we will see diesel come back.

Diesel fuel wont be phased out anytime soon because of over the road hauling. Electric just doesnt have the range that a diesel big rig does, so we are going to be reliant on it for a while longer.
Diesel will be around for decades in the heavy duty market. EVs will work fine for port use, switching trailers, and short depot to depot runs. For long haul it will be diesels for a decade or more. Same with the offroad market.

Passenger cars and CUVs for personal use? Diesel is dead.