Snowflake Factory ("behind the scenes") tour

spacemonkeymafia

TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
2013 beetle!
In 2013, the Sunday River Mountain Ops crew was kind enough to open up their Snowflake Factory to us to explain how they make snow and to show off some of their unique vehicles and equipment. Once again, we will be getting a behind the scenes peek at how they keep the mountain going on Friday afternoon. From what I understand, it will be a bit different than last time to avoid too much repetition and to show off some new toys.

I did not make it to the tour last year, so I am determined to do so this year. Who else is planning to check it out? If you're interested, please post here so we can get an idea of a headcount to give the venue. Don't worry-this isn't binding and it's a free event, so if you end up not going on it for whatever reason, it's no problem.

I think it is scheduled for 2 pm to 4 pm on Friday, but if you arrive after 2, you can still join in. It's a short drive from the hotel (a few minutes? I'm sure Lawson can give a more exact answer).

Sign-up list: (not official or binding)
  1. spacemonkeymafia
  2. meerschm
  3. n1das
  4. Lisa T.
  5. MonsterDog
  6. GeekDrew
  7. millere5815
  8. jonferns

Last edited by a moderator:

vwUMO

TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
2003 JSW TDI 5MT ,2012 Jetta TDI 6MT, 2013 jetta TDI 6MT
Quickly, if you miss the group leaving the SnowFlake Factory is in the Barker Mtn. Lodge parking lot. There are plenty of signs to get to Barker.

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
I am looking forward to this.

so count me in.

schedule says 2:30-4,

more details on exactly where to meet would be nice.

Last edited:

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
The time will be 2:30pm - 4:00pm on Friday prior to the official start of TDIFest.

Meet at the parking lot outside of the snowflake factory. Tour begins when the mountain ops people are ready for us. Late arrivals can join the group at any point - if we aren't outside, we'll be inside. ;)

Here is a link to the thread from 2013 with pictures: https://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=391705

I'll also make sure to put up some signs along the road at the appropriate turning points, which I may have neglected to do last time. :eek:

n1das

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 535xd ///M-Sport, 2012 BMW X5 Xdrive35d, former 3x TDI owner
The time will be 2:30pm - 4:00pm on Friday prior to the official start of TDIFest.

Meet at the parking lot outside of the snowflake factory. Tour begins when the mountain ops people are ready for us. Late arrivals can join the group at any point - if we aren't outside, we'll be inside. ;)
n1das & Lisa T. --> IN

Missed it in 2013. Looking forward to it. :)

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB

Here is a link to the thread from 2013 with pictures: https://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=391705

I'll also make sure to put up some signs along the road at the appropriate turning points, which I may have neglected to do last time. :eek:

Thanks,

the wiki page

http://wiki.tdifest.com/doku.php?id=tdifest2015:start&redirect=1#where

has an incorrect start time for the snowflake tour. (but the snowflake factory is on the handy google map. one of the blue bubbles)

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Who else is going to this? I'd like to be able to give the hotel an estimated head count.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
If you like intrastructure and machinery, you'll get a kick out of this place.

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
I am a tentative since I'm picking BleachedBora (+1) up at the airport and then heading home to let him use the wagon for the weekend. I am unsure of when his flight arrives, however.

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
Saw it last time. Amazing engineering. I'm picking compu_85 up at the airport in Portland on my way up from visiting friends in MA around 1430, so I won't be there.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Saw it last time. Amazing engineering. I'm picking compu_85 up at the airport in Portland on my way up from visiting friends in MA around 1430, so I won't be there.
Thank you for that! It saves me a very long trip to/from Portland.