Five Minutes with Ulrich Hackenberg, VW Board Member for Product Development

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Surprised that no one asked him about increased diesel applications. If VW already has 75% of the US diesel market, they obviously know how to expand into the other offerings, such as Tiguan or Eos (Golf Cabrio?). Was disappointed to see that they are not considering the Polo for the US market. With gas once again approaching $4.00 and rumors of $5.00, then the market is ripe for the subcompact, but if they are not ready now, they will miss the boat again.

NewTdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Bora, Reflex Silver
Surprised that no one asked him about increased diesel applications. If VW already has 75% of the US diesel market, they obviously know how to expand into the other offerings, such as Tiguan or Eos (Golf Cabrio?). Was disappointed to see that they are not considering the Polo for the US market. With gas once again approaching $4.00 and rumors of $5.00, then the market is ripe for the subcompact, but if they are not ready now, they will miss the boat again.
I asked that same question to an auto industry analyst and the basic question is that there are not "enough" comsumers that would be willing to get into compact cars right now. An interesting point is that some car manufacturers are americanizing their vehicles to make the seats wider due to an increase in larger drivers. I would love to see the Polo here in the US market and if the Fiat becomes a successful selling automobile then VW should consider bringing it in. Fuel prices are a big factor and I think the $5 price will be the magical price to get drivers out of their big cars into smaller fuel efficient vehicles.

Dooglas

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta
I asked that same question to an auto industry analyst and the basic question (answer?) is that there are not "enough" comsumers that would be willing to get into compact cars right now.
If this is the conventional wisdom - how come Fiat/Chrysler, BMW (Mini), Toyota (Yaris), Suzuki, and any number of other manufacturers did not get the word?

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
But the only reason fiat is here now is because they bought Chrysler.

DickSilver

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 B5.5V, 1996 B4V
The other makers of compact cars - the Fiat, the smaller Hondas, Toyotas, Chevrolets - are getting themselves known to American consumers. Meanwhile, VW is waiting for some celestial sign that the American consumer is "ready" to buy compacts. When that finally happens, VW is going to have to overcome those already-established marques in people's minds in order to sell any Polos.

mrdwyer

TDI
none yet
Fuel prices are a big factor and I think the $5 price will be the magical price to get drivers out of their big cars into smaller fuel efficient vehicles.
I heard the same thing about 3 dollar gas. And then I heard it about 4 dollar gas. Both of those passed with no change to the way american drivers think.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
There is always a slight bump in trade in of low gas mileage SUVs and trucks that are really glorified mommy-mobiles when the gas starts going up. Seems that once prices level out, most people adjust the budjet and just motor on. Might be easier on the budget to continue to pump fuel down the drain, whatever the price, than to come up with a new car payment. or the land yacht is still on lease and they can't get out of it.

Tommy the diesel rat

TDI
'02 Golf TDi 4-dr GLS Reflex Silver
North of the 49th...

Unlike our neighbours to the south, we Canucks actually take to the wisdom of smaller (hatchback) cars, and sales of anything smallish are quite brisk here, especially compared to the US.

Priced right, the Polo would be a huge seller up here. All you have to do is look around at all the Mini's, Fiat 500's, Mazda 2's, Honda Fits, Toyota Yaris, and various other smaller cars.

The Polo would be a great VW entry level car, and a fitting replacement for the astoundingly well selling (but now discontinued) City Golf and City Jetta.

Hello VW marketing people, do you even have a clue?

Pat Dolan

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Variant, 2015 Q7
Hello VW marketing people, do you even have a clue?
No, they do not. After being emasculated twice in big wars, they have become a nation of followers instead of leaders - at least in this market.

with the end of the bluesport programme, I guess I have to admit that VW has succeeded in being an even bigger disappointment.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I think that VW is getting lost in trying to develop and make cars that appeal to the masses. The desire to be number one is killing the effort to make better cars and/or offer better upgrade options on the cars we do get. If the Golfs are are being built in Germany, why can't we order them with things like leather, better climate control, full power seats with memory. I don't really need any of those things but it would be nice to have the option. Canada gets more options than we do and it's basically the same market.

I really had to question the comment that VW does not think there is a market in North America for small cars. Once again, VW will miss the chance to offer something unique to the market (a compact car with a diesel engine) and boost the sales.

German_1er_diesel

Veteran Member
TDI
BMW 118d

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
yup we get that.

what's the percentage of worldwide VW sales are in the USA and NA? USA is a small fish compared to other markets. What they are giving us right now for a line up is just to keep VW in america it's not geared towards changing how americans drive.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Does Suzuki sell their wildly successful Swift (direct Polo competitor) in the US? Apparently they DID get the word that Americans don't like subcompacts.
Suzuki has tried but not been very successful in the US. Not sure if it was product offering or dealerships. Part of the problem here in Charlotte was location. They moved into a couple of old auto sales lots that not even the big three could keep open. At least one of them has closed and reopened four or five times in the last ten years.

Steve-o

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
Suzuki has tried but not been very successful in the US. Not sure if it was product offering or dealerships.
Or (c) Both of the above. Suzuki's legacy in this country, besides its motorcycles, is the Geo/Chevy Sprint that was GM's entry-level vehicle and gas-mileage champ for years. Lots of plastic, not lots of power (none by today's standards), weird rough three-cylinder engine, a tendency to get totaled on impact, ...

Their own Swift (especially the GTI-alternative Sport) fared little better; the Kizashi has -- umm -- made a name for itself. But Suzuki sales in this country have never been high and dealers are spread far apart. When the nearest dealer is more than a hundred miles away, and your reputation for quality is no better than decent, people tend to stay away.

where2

Veteran Member
TDI
One '13 JSW_TDI & One '04 Variant_TDI
Than to get mommy to change her mind about what makes her feel safe and powerful when driving.
ROTFLOL Then mommy needs to do what my wife did, and ROLL her 17MPG SUV on the interstate at 70MPH. Yup, handled like a bread truck. To give them credit, the Michelin Cross-Terrain tires left some BEAUTIFUL tracks which lasted for months, it was the soft shoulder that actually rolled the 4Runner 1.5 times after several flat spins across three lanes of I-95. :eek:

VW should bring the Scirocco to America with a diesel engine in it as the only engine option. Then, maybe people would stop combining TDI's and Corrados to make +40MPG diesel Sports Cars. :rolleyes: