Towing with 2015 Golf TDI 2.0 sportwagen

Discovery

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk7 SportWagen
Sway control bar? that's a giant No No with the bosal/westy style hitch. She's just not up to the task.

You're just asking for trouble.

Granted you prob won't be pushing the limits as this guy but you are fair warned.

https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/bosal-hitch-adapter-loosening.92343/

On a side note, I'm working on the wife that we need this boat, figure it's about 12-1500lbs and towable by the Alltrack.

https://nh.craigslist.org/boa/d/2009-boston-whalersuper-sport/6593879287.html
The link you posted talk about weight distribution bar, this is a sway control bar.

It work with friction and doesn't put any more weight up or down the hitch.

Grigg3

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Jetta wagon, 15 Golf wagon
After reading about the troubles with the Tesla and weight distribution hitch it seems part of the problem may very well be added side load or torque also provided by a weight distribution hitch, same as the friction sway control will do.

Sure looks like the Bosal type ball mount isn't all that robust in any case. Or isn't at all tolerant of overloading.

I like the standard square receiver, easy to see its in good shape and really nothing to wear out in short order, though eventually they like anything will wear. No risk of the adapter falling out short of losing the pin.

I have the 1.25" EcoHitch on my 15 wagon and it's been great so far, but my trailer might only weigh 1,000 lb. The 1.25" receiver should be plenty for any trailer that'd be safe to tow behind a golf anyhow. The 2" option only an improvement for bike racks and non trailer things.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Just saying many of those bigger weight distribution hitches have built in sway control.

IMO Any added lateral stress (side to side) on the bosal receiver is not going to jive well with the bosal/westy style bar.

If you look at all those UK tow awards the Mk7 platform has won, each of those trailers are designed to the euro spec for tough weight and use no sway control/weight distribution system for a reason.

They use a rule of thumb a tow car can tow 85% its kerbweight and get by with this for multiple reasons, compared to the US standard 10-15% trailer weight equals tongue weight.

Between the ABS sway control and strict strict speed limits they can deal with sway, in the US it's crazy tongue weight and which almost certainly demands a weight distribution + sway control to limit unwanted lateral movement.

I'm all about pushing the limit of the platform but I just want to caution when pushing the system beyond its deisgn.

Grigg3

Veteran Member
TDI
I've towed a lot of stuff with my VW's and even more with pickups and tandem axle trailers, never have I wished for a sway control device.

Sometimes a trailer wants to fishtail, stop and move things around to get enough tongue weight. Or if it seemed like enough tongue weight the issue might be weight real far forward and also back, not centered or evenly distributed.

Or... might be to much trailer or load for the given tow vehicle weight and wheelbase. Had experience with that on occasion too, it was never a surprise though.

Perhaps I don't understand the need, but a sway control device shouldn't be a fix for fishtailing.

PB_NB

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 New Beetle
We put a sway control on the Beetle hitch and it seems to help if you tighten it up but it sure is noisy.

We had some fish tailing once and when we put the low profile tires on, the problem went away.

We also load a lot more in front of the trailer axle just in case. Our hitch is super strong and tongue weight capacity is way up there. The Bosal has a limit of 75kgs or 165 lbs. so you have to be careful with the tongue weight no to go over board.

I think the brake controller is the best way to stop sway at speed. Just set the controller to a normal braking setting and if the trailer starts to sway, pull the lever on the bottom to turn on the trailer brakes only. That should straighten out the trailer.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
If you look at the bosal/westy style hitch the lateral, twisting movement of the hitch is controlled by the triangle metal detentes on the neck and the indents on the tow bar.

As the forces twist the swan neck the resulting forces causes the triangle to increase pressure downward on the swan neck.

With 165 being the limit, if you're say 85% of that rating any sway control device will prob shoot that over the limit.

Just trying to be cautious.

Over50(mpg)

TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen
Choice of hitches

Hi folks,

First time on the forum, just joined club an hour ago.

Which hitch to install? E-trailer offers a Draw tite at about $110 but it has a 1 1/4 inch receiver. They also offer another brand at $300 with a 2 in receiver.

Are there other choices with a 2 in receiver?
Does U-Haul have one for this car?

Thanks in advance for any info you might share.

Discovery

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk7 SportWagen
Hi folks,

Which hitch to install? E-trailer offers a Draw tite at about $110 but it has a 1 1/4 inch receiver. They also offer another brand at $300 with a 2 in receiver.

What are your need?
Bike rack or other hitch mounted accessories?
Do you want maximum stealth?

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
Most things that'd require a 2" receiver are probably best towed by something a bit bigger than the GSW.
That said, a 2" receiver gives you options - like if you find a bike rack on sale but it's only 2"..... You can always adapt a 2" down to 1-¼"; can't go the other way.

Grigg3

Veteran Member
TDI
For only towing, no bike racks, the 1.25” hitch is more than enough and looks less obtrusive. I like the eco hitch on my car. It is mounted quite high, with nothing in it it’ll never drag unlike hitches I’ve had on older VW’s.

Never used one, but I’d guess a rack moves around less if it’s for a 2” receiver??

GreenLantern_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GOLF SEL
I had the Bosal on my MK5 and was happy i paid extra and got the euro model that had good solid factory style mounting. Lots of options for the MK7. Im thinking i would go euro again if i was to get another hitch. Idparts has them. If you order a service kit or some other goodies and get the sale over $500 ya get free shipping.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
sadly IDparts are back ordered with no known ETA due to the fact that Bosal doesn't make new products anymore.

Pfjones was the only easiest option I saw for the Westy hitch, shipping stings but its 3 days from across the pond.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Hi folks,

Most things that'd require a 2" receiver are probably best towed by something a bit bigger than the GSW.
That said, a 2" receiver gives you options - like if you find a bike rack on sale but it's only 2"..... You can always adapt a 2" down to 1-¼"; can't go the other way.
Never used one, but I’d guess a rack moves around less if it’s for a 2” receiver??
When I got my hitch installed on the 2010 JSW, U-Haul would only install the 1 1/4 receiver because that matched the tow rating capacity of the car. Not sure what they'll do for a car that has no towing rating.

Actually, it's a much easier and better adapter to go from a 2 inch receiver down to a 1 1/4 inch bike rack or other accessories. You need a sleeve that just fits inside the larger receiver. To go the other way, you need an adapter that has a 2 inch receiver welded onto a 1 1/4 inch tongue. That weld then becomes your highest stress point of the system. Yakima, for one, will not honor any warranty claims with that type of set up.

As for which is more stable? Size of the rack tongue does not really come into play with the stability of the system. It's more of the design of all the components that came with the rack.

My Yakima racks has a screw type pin that has to be screwed into the rack tongue, through the receiver holes. The tighter you make it, the less movement of the rack. Same bolt works with the above mentioned sleeve in the 2 inch receiver on the truck. That makes a matching box end wrench one of the necessary tools for the travel kit.

whizznbyu

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen 6 speed manual. B5 died at 302k miles.
Is there a role for an auxiliary oil cooler for Mk7's that see a bit of towing? I pulled a robust single axle trailer and carried a fairly heavy commercial lawnmower. Oil temps went up to 227 degrees. 6 spd MT. If so, where would this be placed?

ticaf

Veteran Member
TDI
Stock 2015 Golf SW S Manual TDI
Is there a role for an auxiliary oil cooler for Mk7's that see a bit of towing? I pulled a robust single axle trailer and carried a fairly heavy commercial lawnmower. Oil temps went up to 227 degrees. 6 spd MT. If so, where would this be placed?
There is already an oil cooler on the mk7. 227F for the oil is perfectly fine IMO.