I think I'm infected by the diesel bug

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
2013 JSW, 2003 Jetta Ute, 2 x 2002 Golf, 2000 Golf
Ever since dieselgate, I think I really got infected by the diesel bug. I convinced my mother to sell her Toyota 4Runner and she bought a 2015 CPO Golf Sportwagen TDI. In addition to my 1995 GMC K3500, I recently picked up a 1995 F-450 Powerstroke (that I bought to flip). 2 diesel tractors, but I picked up a John Deere 401, and also a Kohler diesel generator powered by a tiny Kubota 3 cylinder. And there are still more I want to acquire/will be acquiring!

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
I think it was a 2014, and it had around 49K. Got rid of that and got a 2015 CPO GSW TDI with 33K. Best part was we got money back from the dealer (it had 13K worth of hail damage a year ago, but we had it repaired).

PeteZ06

Veteran Member
TDI
E320 CDI
TDI's are great for saving fuel but those 4Runner are bulletproof! I love mine and we're looking for another 4Runner for the wife.

dmanb2b

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta, 2011 335D
TDI's are great for saving fuel but those 4Runner are bulletproof! I love mine and we're looking for another 4Runner for the wife.
I have an '01, 140k miles, driven by my dad since 30K and he's old school so OCI is every 3K. Not sure if you are looking for older model project truck but he is likely moving to a smaller SUV soon.

PeteZ06

Veteran Member
TDI
E320 CDI
I have an '01, 140k miles, driven by my dad since 30K and he's old school so OCI is every 3K. Not sure if you are looking for older model project truck but he is likely moving to a smaller SUV soon.
Thanks.. I love the old school rigs myself but need something newer for the wifey... we've been checking out 2012+ models.

n1das

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 535xd ///M-Sport, 2012 BMW X5 Xdrive35d, former 3x TDI owner
Ever since dieselgate, I think I really got infected by the diesel bug. I convinced my mother to sell her Toyota 4Runner and she bought a 2015 CPO Golf Sportwagen TDI. In addition to my 1995 GMC K3500, I recently picked up a 1995 F-450 Powerstroke (that I bought to flip). 2 diesel tractors, but I picked up a John Deere 401, and also a Kohler diesel generator powered by a tiny Kubota 3 cylinder. And there are still more I want to acquire/will be acquiring!
I got totally bit by the diesel bug 15 years ago when I got my 02 Golf TDI. Not my first VW but it was my first diesel. I drive around 1k miles/week and I was doing that in a 2002 Subaru WRX gas guzzler prior to getting the 02 Golf TDI. Absolutely no more gassers for me ever again if I can help it. ALL future vehicle purchases of mine shall only be DIESEL vehicles. Gassers are not an option at all in my book.

I had already moved away from VW TDI to BMW Advanced Diesel before the Dieselgate scandal broke. I also owned an 08 Ford F-350 SuperDuty truck with the 6.4L PowerStroke Diesel. Today I wish I had kept that truck and miss it today. At the time it was hard to justify owning 3 vehicles (2 diesel BMWs + diesel truck) when I'm the only driver of them. I eventually will have another diesel pickup truck again someday. The diesel pickup truck market does not appear to be threatened at all by Dieselgate and is expanding.

VW not returning with TDIs as a result of Dieselgate simply means that I won't be returning to VW as a customer. Whatever vehicles I own and drive absolutely HAS to be diesel powered.

:)

n1das

TDI
I got totally bit by the diesel bug 15 years ago when I got my 02 Golf TDI. Not my first VW but it was my first diesel. I drive around 1k miles/week and I was doing that in a 2002 Subaru WRX gas guzzler prior to getting the 02 Golf TDI. Absolutely no more gassers for me ever again if I can help it. ALL future vehicle purchases of mine shall only be DIESEL vehicles. Gassers are not an option at all in my book.

I had already moved away from VW TDI to BMW Advanced Diesel before the Dieselgate scandal broke. I also owned an 08 Ford F-350 SuperDuty truck with the 6.4L PowerStroke Diesel. Today I wish I had kept that truck and miss it today. At the time it was hard to justify owning 3 vehicles (2 diesel BMWs + diesel truck) when I'm the only driver of them. I eventually will have another diesel pickup truck again someday. The diesel pickup truck market does not appear to be threatened at all by Dieselgate and is expanding.

VW not returning with TDIs as a result of Dieselgate simply means that I won't be returning to VW as a customer. Whatever vehicles I own and drive absolutely HAS to be diesel powered.

Here's the backstory behind my getting my 02 Golf TDI.
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.php?p=997524&postcount=52

The generator restoration project became the proverbial straw that broke the camel's back and made me want to get out of my WRX gas guzzler and get into a TDI sooner rather than later. The experience for me was like the scene in The Blues Brothers movie where Jake "sees the light" in church and suddenly has the realization that he and Elwood need to get "The Band!" back together. :)

I was infected by the diesel bug years ago and there's absolutely no going back. :)

Last edited:

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
I'm with ya n1das. Our first was the 2000 beetle, although her dad had a long line of diesel tractors including a couple of collector Deeres. I know at least one of his farm pickups was diesel. When I wanted out of the beetle, the only thing I waited for the 10 JSWs hit the lot and picked one up. 18 months later and my wife decides to get the 11 TDI Golf instead of a Honda Fit. 2 months ago, I got rid of my GMC Canyon for a 1500 Ram Ecodiesel. I still have an 05 Toyota corolla on my insurance but it's my daughters. She trying to see if she can pass 200k on it.

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
How do you like that 1500 Ram Ecodiesel? I've been seeing more of those on the road lately.

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI

Emphasis added. And you and me both.

I'll be curious to see what you get by way of a truck. I have a 1995 GMC K3500 and a 1995 Ford F-Super Duty. The former was rebuilt by a now former friend; he used shear bolts for accessories on the front of the block, not to mention the only warranty I have are on the parts I bought myself, so that's a mess (and currently, the truck isn't driveable). The F-Super Duty probably needs a rebuilt tranny. If I had my choice, I would've got a Chevy Topkick/Kodiak, since I'm starting to outgrow the towing needs of my TDIs.e

The generator restoration project became the proverbial straw that broke the camel's back and made me want to get out of my WRX gas guzzler and get into a TDI sooner rather than later.

I was infected by the diesel bug years ago and there's absolutely no going back. :)
Is this the generator what was a modified VW on its side and used as power backup by Western Electric? I think I mentioned that to a friend on here who's also a diesel enthusiast and sold me both my farm tractors; he said he kinda knew who you were from your handle (he spent his career at Southwestern Bell).

I bought my first diesel genset a few months ago and love it. It's a military 7kw genset/light tower powered by a Kubota D905-E (tiny 3 cylinder 900cc engine) and Kohler generator head. I replaced all the fuel lines, fluids, filters and coolant, and it now runs like a top. I also replaced the high pressure sodium lights up top with a new starter and ballast, and new bulbs in my conversion to metal halide (so worth the change, so I can work on my vehicles at night and see colors). My second diesel generator acquisition (last week) is just a PTO generator that hooks up to the back of the tractor. I'm still amazed at how small it is for being able to generate 25kw on both intermittent and continuous duty (it's made by Winco).

VW not returning with TDIs as a result of Dieselgate simply means that I won't be returning to VW as a customer. <b>Whatever vehicles I own and drive absolutely HAS to be diesel powered.</b>

Emphasis added. And you and me both.

I'll be curious to see what you get by way of a truck. I have a 1995 GMC K3500 and a 1995 Ford F-Super Duty. The former was rebuilt by a now former friend; he used shear bolts for accessories on the front of the block, not to mention the only warranty I have are on the parts I bought myself, so that's a mess (and currently, the truck isn't driveable). The F-Super Duty probably needs a rebuilt tranny. If I had my choice, I would've got a Chevy Topkick/Kodiak, since I'm starting to outgrow the towing needs of my TDIs.e

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
How do you like that 1500 Ram Ecodiesel? I've been seeing more of those on the road lately.
I only have about 3500 miles on it but, so far, we’re loving the ram. We rented all three half ton trucks and really liked how the ram road. I traded my 07 GMC Canyon extended cab in for the ram. The canyon was a 2.9l 4 cyl with a 5 speed manual and only 65k miles. No power windows, locks, or about anything else. It averaged around 19 mpg in my daily driving. The ram is intended as our retirement vehicle that we’ll use for travel and towing. At least once we get a trailer. So, we bought the Laramie crew cab edition with just about everything on it. Full power leather seats, power windows, 4x4, auto lights and wipers, parking sensors. Heated and cooled seats.

It’s getting about 21 mpg in my daily driving. We took it to Indiana over Easter and it got about 25 mpg for the 1500 mile plus trip. Not bad for not being broken in.

My daughter loved it because she could almost stand up in the back of the cab to put her daughter in the car seat. She also really liked the remote start when she had to run to the store in the middle of the night. I found out the hard way that if your car has remote start, don’t let the grandkid play with the keys.

I usually filled the canyon around 300 miles. When I filled the ram at that same point, it took 2 gallons less fuel. However, With the difference in fuel costs, diesel ended up costing me about 12 cents more.

n1das

TDI
Is this the generator what was a modified VW on its side and used as power backup by Western Electric? I think I mentioned that to a friend on here who's also a diesel enthusiast and sold me both my farm tractors; he said he kinda knew who you were from your handle (he spent his career at Southwestern Bell).
Yes it is! It is a KS-22344 Engine Alternator, 40kW model. The genset was built by Morrison-Knudson Power Systems Co., now out of business. It was built specifically for Western Electric. You can see the Bell System/Western Electric and Guardian names on it. The vertical configuration is used to save space in microwave bunker buildings. The genset is sized to fully replicate 240VAC 60Hz commercial power coming into the building.

The engine is a 2.4L 6-cylinder VW IDI engine, derived from the old 4-cylinder 1.6L IDI engine used in the old Rabbit Diesel. Volvo used the 6-cylinder engine as a diesel option in the USA in some of their cars around 1983-84 and was known as the D24. The turbo version was the D24T. The injector pump was famous for shaft seal leaks. The genset engine currently has a shaft seal leak in the IP which often causes it to lose prime after sitting for a while. I have become an expert at re-priming it to get it going again after losing prime.

The genset manufacturer bought the basic engine from VW and modified it for vertical operation. It got a custom crankshaft and oil pans, prelube system, remote oil filter, engine driven radiator fan, and belt driven lift pump. The CCV system was modified for vertical operation and has an oil catch can. The injector pump was modified to vent an internal chamber for vertical operation. Oil capacity is 16 quarts. It also has a 1kW coolant heater (Kim Hotstart), very similar to a Frostheater in TDI applications.

I made a cell phone video of it running and posted it on YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUPal3nG7AY&t=8s

I haven't been back to the site since last summer and that's when I made the video. I need to get up there again and give it another maintenance run. The main control electronics are dead so it can't be run automatically. I have to run it using the backup manual run kit. I am worried about the timing belts (2 of them) because they are the original belts from 1983. The second TB drives the IP from the opposite end of the camshaft. It is soaked in diesel fuel from the IP seal leak. If the engine someday experiences a TB failure, it likely will not be repaired.

I'll be curious to see what you get by way of a truck.
I won't be getting a truck anytime soon. LOL, finances won't let me buy all the toys I want. :) A Ford F-350 SuperDuty 6.7L PowerStroke Diesel is on my shortlist. I'm kicking myself for selling my 08 F-350 6.4L PowerStroke I had a few years ago. I sold it after getting my 2012 X5 35d. I could have kept the truck and now wish I had kept it. I miss it today. At the time it was hard to justify owning 3 vehicles (2 BMWs + 1 truck) when I'm the only driver of them. I probably will have another truck again someday but it won't be for a while.

Last edited:

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
Yes it is! It is a KS-22344 Engine Alternator, 40kW model. The genset was built by Morrison-Knudson Power Systems Co., now out of business. It was built specifically for Western Electric. You can see the Bell System/Western Electric and Guardian names on it. The vertical configuration is used to save space in microwave bunker buildings. The genset is sized to fully replicate 240VAC 60Hz commercial power coming into the building.
Ahh, good 'ol Morrison-Knudson. I think they were based out of Boise. I know they also rebuilt a bunch of diesel locomotives, mostly used by shortline railroads and for yard service (been in some CNG locomotives that totally sucked).

I mentioned your genset to my friend, and he got happy (retired from the phone company). I believe on here, he's SoTxBill.

The engine is a 2.4L 6-cylinder VW IDI engine, derived from the old 4-cylinder 1.6L IDI engine used in the old Rabbit Diesel. Volvo used the 6-cylinder engine as a diesel option in the USA in some of their cars around 1983-84 and was known as the D24. The turbo version was the D24T. The injector pump was famous for shaft seal leaks. The genset engine currently has a shaft seal leak in the IP which often causes it to lose prime after sitting for a while. I have become an expert at re-priming it to get it going again after losing prime.
Wonder if that's any relation to the engine turbobrick240 has in his namesake car (I can't remember if his Volvo has a 4 or 6 cylinder in it).
The genset manufacturer bought the basic engine from VW and modified it for vertical operation. It got a custom crankshaft and oil pans, prelube system, remote oil filter, engine driven radiator fan, and belt driven lift pump. The CCV system was modified for vertical operation and has an oil catch can. The injector pump was modified to vent an internal chamber for vertical operation. Oil capacity is 16 quarts. It also has a 1kW coolant heater (Kim Hotstart), very similar to a Frostheater in TDI applications.

I made a cell phone video of it running and posted it on YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUPal3nG7AY&t=8s

I haven't been back to the site since last summer and that's when I made the video. I need to get up there again and give it another maintenance run. The main control electronics are dead so it can't be run automatically. I have to run it using the backup manual run kit. I am worried about the timing belts (2 of them) because they are the original belts from 1983. The second TB drives the IP from the opposite end of the camshaft. It is soaked in diesel fuel from the IP seal leak. If the engine someday experiences a TB failure, it likely will not be repaired.
I can't imagine why the manufacture would use a totally custom belt, but I've been proven wrong on that stuff before. Doesn't hurt to try and measure it while it's still on the engine, to at least see if you can source a replacement that has the same specifications.
I won't be getting a truck anytime soon. LOL, finances won't let me buy all the toys I want. :) A Ford F-350 SuperDuty 6.7L PowerStroke Diesel is on my shortlist. I'm kicking myself for selling my 08 F-350 6.4L PowerStroke I had a few years ago. I sold it after getting my 2012 X5 35d. I could have kept the truck and now wish I had kept it. I miss it today. At the time it was hard to justify owning 3 vehicles (2 BMWs + 1 truck) when I'm the only driver of them. I probably will have another truck again someday but it won't be for a while.

Don't regret it - it was a 6.4. At least you didn't have a 6.0. I don't know anyone with a 6.4, but I have several friends with a 6.0 (that still have 'em), and EVERY. SINGLE. ONE. has reported problems costing many thousands. I got both a '95 GMC K3500 with the 6.5L that everyone hates (sounds like a boat straight piped and gets sh***y fuel economy, among other problems), and a '95 F-Super Duty (basically an F-450). I like the F-450 - easy to work on, despite what the GMC 6.5L crowd proclaims, cheap to acquire parts, puts out decent power when tuned, and fuel economy is better (I'll take 13mpg over 10.8mpg any day).

Sorry you had to bump your thread. Haven't been on here much, because aside from hitting a dog at 9:30pm at night (after having driven about 1050 miles that day) across the street from a shelter (and yes, the dog survived and was still limping in the road), I haven't had any problems with my FIVE TDIs (2 x BEW, mk6, mk7 and finally got a running ALH that'll end up as a UTE possibly next year). I also acquired a military genset (you can google it - NFD-2); it's a light tower with a genset skid made by Kohler. 7kw generator head and a Kubota D905E that's super easy to get parts for. Runs like a top and provides power to the 2 lights overhead that I've been using almost on a daily basis for working on my trucks (came with 2 x 1000 watt high pressure sodium, but the ballast and lights being 25-30 years old, I replaced with newer ballast, starter and bulbs and converted to metal halide, as I like seeing colors at night).

I believe I'm currently at 12 diesels altogether!

Last edited:

n1das

TDI
I can't imagine why the manufacture would use a totally custom belt, but I've been proven wrong on that stuff before. Doesn't hurt to try and measure it while it's still on the engine, to at least see if you can source a replacement that has the same specifications.
The genset has two standard V-belts used to drive the radiator fan and the lift pump. I have replaced those belts before. It was a PITA because there isn't much room to work in there plus there is no tensioner for them. The fan bearing assembly and lift pump have elongated holes where they mount and you have to slide them around to change the belts and adjust tension on the belts.

The two timing belts on the engine are standard VW parts for the same engine in a car application. I've seen the same engine in a 1984 Volvo 740 wagon. The front timing belt is the main timing belt for the engine. The IP is at the rear of the engine and driven by a second TB from the end of the camshaft. It has a timing belt on both ends of the camshaft.

It was a fun project restoring the genset to operation. It was the proverbial straw that broke the camel's back and made me trade out of my gas guzzling Subaru WRX and get into my 2002 Golf TDI. After 16 years and more than 900k miles of diesel car ownership experience, I haven't regretted that decision one bit. :cool: