OE heavy duty skid plate for mk7 TDi ?

mxtdiguy

Veteran Member
TDI
'16 sportwagen TDI sel 6mt
I know there are some aftermarket metal skid plates available , but is there an VW heavy duty TDi skid plate which can be installed ?

I think Alltracks have heavy duty skid plates from the factory, maybe one of these be installed on a TDi mk7 ?

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
While it's heavy duty compared to the stock splash pan, it doesn't replace a full blown plate.

But, it's also beefy enough that I'm happy with it and save the coin and not invest in a real plate.

The best part of the OEM plate is the front mounting brackets that actually supports the front of the plate to the frame, nearly identical to my DG plate I had on my Mk5. other cheaper plates (cough cough ECS) are merely metal versions of the stock splash shield that look shiny.

mxtdiguy

Veteran Member
TDI
While it's heavy duty compared to the stock splash pan, it doesn't replace a full blown plate.

But, it's also beefy enough that I'm happy with it and save the coin and not invest in a real plate.

The best part of the OEM plate is the front mounting brackets that actually supports the front of the plate to the frame, nearly identical to my DG plate I had on my Mk5. other cheaper plates (cough cough ECS) are merely metal versions of the stock splash shield that look shiny.

I'm a little confused, when you say OEM plate are you referring to the one that comes with the car, or the heady duty VW "Underrun" ?

The posting by "Golfdave" is excellent, but it seems to only address gas MK7's, or am I missing something ?

He list the following part number : 3Q0 825 902 , but it appears to have been replaced by 3Q0825902-A

This tray is available here for about $280, but I can't find any description with it, and it shows fitment for 1.8TSI Alltrack, so not sure if it bolts up under a TDi car.

Ebay Germany has the following tray which also has the part number #Q0825902 listed as well as a lot of other numbers, but is a fraction of the price and doesn't look identical, so it's probably not heavy duty

https://www.ebay.com/itm/142494202310

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I'm a little confused, when you say OEM plate are you referring to the one that comes with the car, or the heady duty VW "Underrun" ?
The posting by "Golfdave" is excellent, but it seems to only address gas MK7's, or am I missing something ?
He list the following part number : 3Q0 825 902 , but it appears to have been replaced by 3Q0825902-A
This tray is available here for about $280, but I can't find any description with it, and it shows fitment for 1.8TSI Alltrack, so not sure if it bolts up under a TDi car.
Ebay Germany has the following tray which also has the part number #Q0825902 listed as well as a lot of other numbers, but is a fraction of the price and doesn't look identical, so it's probably not heavy duty
https://www.ebay.com/itm/142494202310

Golfdave's heavy GRP plate is whats installed from the factory on our Alltrack.

I believe it installs on all MQB platforms, just gotta pick up all the little bits he lists. Lot more diesels over in euroland that are MQB and I believe they stated they were able to get it to work in that thread.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
If you want a heavy duty skid plate, there are two options- Dieselgeek Panzer, and Evolution Ares. I wouldn't call the OEM options heavy duty.

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
If you want a heavy duty skid plate, there are two options- Dieselgeek Panzer, and Evolution Ares. I wouldn't call the OEM options heavy duty.
Jim at Diesel Geek isn't making one for the MK VII. Yet. Fingers crossed.

surfstar

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Golf & Passat - sold | 2016 GSW TSI
golfdave's plate IS heavy duty. and the TDI / TSI are interchangeable.

I put a plastic TDI splash-guard/plate on my TSI because it is a full-length and better aero design (I ended up removing the foam sound/insulation material). I also added the exhaust tunnel cover, and rear section and axle cover (from a Jetta hybrid). I spent ~$200 on these parts, with ebay and e-acca shopping, and now have better hwy mpg, that should pay for the parts in about 50k miles, then actually save me money.

I'm stock height and didn't see a need for a "skid plate" on my GSW.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I'm probably old fashioned- but I just don't consider plastic heavy duty. It sounds like that skid tray requires 14 fasteners. My Panzer plate has just 4.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
4-13mm bolts up front and 3 13mm bolts outback, rest are the speed clip torq fasteners mainly to hold the fender wells together. Again the win for me is the front brackets similar of the aftermarket plates.

Its not made from recycled milk bottles, its heavy duty compared to stock belly pan, but agree by no means "trail rated" or the best pan out there.

mxtdiguy

Veteran Member
TDI
Just ordered the VW heavier duty "Unterfahrschutz" ( gezuntheit ) off ebay gemany for $100 delivered.

Every other vendor including e-acca was $300 or so

The ebay vendor must have an overstock supply or something, happy to save $200 !

Mrrogers1

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT, 2011 Jetta TDI DSG, 2015 Golf Sportwagen S TDI DSG
Just ordered the VW heavier duty "Unterfahrschutz" ( gezuntheit ) off ebay gemany for $100 delivered.

Every other vendor including e-acca was $300 or so

The ebay vendor must have an overstock supply or something, happy to save $200 !
Or it's not the actual part that GolfDave shows the retrofit for or what comes factory on the Alltrack. If you look at the last 6 posts or so in his thread, you'll see that there are other, supposedly full covers BUT they are definitely not created equal. They are not made of the same material and attach in such a way that would easily damage things if it was really needed.

Good luck!

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Best of luck, you'll know when the shipping says the weight is over 15#

mxtdiguy

Veteran Member
TDI
Or it's not the actual part that GolfDave shows the retrofit for or what comes factory on the Alltrack. If you look at the last 6 posts or so in his thread, you'll see that there are other, supposedly full covers BUT they are definitely not created equal. They are not made of the same material and attach in such a way that would easily damage things if it was really needed.
Good luck!

Golfdave's thread list the part number as 5Q0 825 902C or 3Q0 825 902 and both of those part numbers are in the Ebay listing although the actual part number of the item is 5Q0 825 902B...

So, hopefully this is the same one...it looks identical to the one in Golfdave postings as well with bolt hole locations for the additional brackets I have to buy, but the "B' at the end instead of "C" has me concerned..

I guess I might their first negative feedback, how can you cross reference 5Q0 825 902C and 3Q0 825 902 if it isn't the same ?

Well, I will find out since it has already shipped..

Last edited:

surfstar

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Golf & Passat - sold | 2016 GSW TSI
^I looked at the auction and some google images for that p/n - it looks the same to me, so I think you're good. Definitely update us...

mxtdiguy

Veteran Member
TDI
^I looked at the auction and some google images for that p/n - it looks the same to me, so I think you're good. Definitely update us...

Thanks, hopefully so

From GolfDave's post:

"The E-Golf (all electric) hatch has different under trays (parts 5Q0 825 236P, 5QE 825 902B, 5QE 825 229B, 5QE 825 218C). But it would be unwise to use them as you will get too much heat soak into the cabin from the exhaust! Basically instead of two length ways covers between the front & rear wheels with a gap for the exhaust, the E-Golf has two width ways covers which totally cover the whole area up, as it has no exhaust! There is also a bigger rear cover under the axle/boot, but of course it has no exhaust which would also be covered up!"

So he references 5Q0 825 902B, but it sounds to me that the other parts are not to be installed because of exhaust issues, but the front tray has nothing to do with that...

I can't find any information on the differences (if any) between version C and B
If they are different, they shouldn't be cross referenced.

Keeping my fingers crossed..

mxtdiguy

Veteran Member
TDI
Just wanted to report on the skid plate I purchased from ebay germany…

As you can see it is definitely a heavy duty plate, much thicker and heavier than the one that came with the car:

I purchased the required brackets and bolts:

Installed:

Very happy with the purchase ! I like the oem look, and I like the vent hole to direct air to the transmission.

Total cost was about$150.

Last edited:

Mrrogers1

Veteran Member
TDI

As you can see it is definitely a heavy duty plate, much thicker and heavier than the one that came with the car:

Very happy with the purchase ! I like the oem look, and I like the vent hole to direct air to the transmission.

I have a plate waiting to install, probably tomorrow as it's oil change time. Wondering, did you have to take you bumper off to get the brackets fully installed or were you able to do it just from underneath? Some folks said they had to remove the bumper to do it so I'm just wondering if I'll need to or not.

Funny story, the company's shipping partner BEAT the crap out of the first box/plate (and damaged two corners) that I ordered and they quickly sent another without question. The shipping partner do the SAME THING to the second one (it was packed better but the shippers still managed to mess up one of the corners) and the company gave me the option of them sending another, chancing it was not broken in transit, again, or just refunding me my money. I took the money and I think the banged up plate, the second one will be just fine.

mxtdiguy

Veteran Member
TDI
I have a plate waiting to install, probably tomorrow as it's oil change time. Wondering, did you have to take you bumper off to get the brackets fully installed or were you able to do it just from underneath? Some folks said they had to remove the bumper to do it so I'm just wondering if I'll need to or not.
Funny story, the company's shipping partner BEAT the crap out of the first box/plate (and damaged two corners) that I ordered and they quickly sent another without question. The shipping partner do the SAME THING to the second one (it was packed better but the shippers still managed to mess up one of the corners) and the company gave me the option of them sending another, chancing it was not broken in transit, again, or just refunding me my money. I took the money and I think the banged up plate, the second one will be just fine.
I did not remove the bumper, and yes, the bolts for the brackets are tricky to tighten, knuckle busters :)

The box they sent my skid plate in was HUGE, like 24x24x48", no idea how they made any money shipping from Germany.

Mrrogers1

Veteran Member
TDI
I'm not sure why someone would have had to take the bumper off BUT the install last week when I changed oil was a breeze.

For anyone that doesn't believe in these OEM skid plates being a real upgrade, take a look at those pics. [emoji16]

I weigh 180# and yes, one finger on the factory cover is all it took to bend like that.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Last edited:

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Definitely an upgrade over the factory splash tray. And also a pretty good value. The photos showing the part supporting a person's weight aren't super convincing to me though. I've seen similar demonstrations with double hung vinyl windows supporting a guy standing on the glass.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
And you didn't buy the windows? you fool!?!?!

I'd still be concerned with a small sharp object puncturing the plate, but i'm still happy with knowing this plate is under my oil pan/DSG

bmwM5power

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW TDI S 6MT 02 JETTA TDI GLS 5MT 15 GOLF TDI SE 6MT 15 GOLF TDI SEL DSG

is it plastic or metal? where did you buy all of the hardware?

mxtdiguy

Veteran Member
TDI
is it plastic or metal? where did you buy all of the hardware?
Plastic, or some kind of combination of plastics. The bolt hole locations are steel reinforced

The brackets are readily available from US VW dealers or online vendors.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
glass reinforced plastic.

When I set mine on the garage when changing oil, it sounds like a metal plate would
with a solid high pitched "clang".

bmwM5power

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW TDI S 6MT 02 JETTA TDI GLS 5MT 15 GOLF TDI SE 6MT 15 GOLF TDI SEL DSG
Plastic, or some kind of combination of plastics. The bolt hole locations are steel reinforced

The brackets are readily available from US VW dealers or online vendors.
did you have to pay any customs fees for it?

mxtdiguy

Veteran Member
TDI
did you have to pay any customs fees for it?
no, total price was under $100 for the plate including shipping but that was at the end of last year.
Don't know if they still list them on ebay germany though.

Maybe try the website listed on the label shown in the photo also

Mike in Anchorage

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Touareg Lux, 2015 Golf Sportwagen SE, new 4 Sept 2017;2009 VW Jetta TDI Sportwagen (Ruby) sold to VW on 22 SEP 2017
Seems simple to order from Germany. About $100 for the plate alone, shipped to Alaska.

Do you notice any noise difference with the new plate with respect to the older one?

Does it seem to be about the same task to change oil with the stronger plate installed?

Thanks.