www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI Motorsports

TDI Motorsports This section is dedicated to the folks who push the TDI to the absolute limit racing. Topics should include articles about TDIs in the SCCA ProRally Series, Drag Racing, AutoCross and any other events that include TDIs.

Old November 21st, 2002, 19:42   #1
VW Derf
Administrator

Fuel Economy: 5.9L / 100km
Default Volkswagen Racing UK TDIs

Got a short email from Sam Roach at Volkswagen Racing UK. Below are some pics of the cars they are racing.

The Golf runs 220bhp and almost 500NM (360 ft/lbs)torque, and won the last 2 races of 2002 outright, setting 2 new lap records which surprised more than a few people! It has also been 100% reliable despite the power and torque figures, giving about twice the economy of the petrol racers we are up against.

The second vehicle here is a bit of end-of-season fun. It is the UKís first ever racing van, a Caddy. This one is running a mere 200bhp from the TDI motor. And it didnít finish last! Rather odd handling from the rear suspension, though!

[ November 21, 2002, 18:49: Message edited by: VW Derf ]
VW Derf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2002, 06:12   #2
meshplate

Default Re: Volkswagen Racing UK TDIs

I read an article on this car and it turns out that it is not a PD engine, but a distributor pump engine. Therefore it is a not very distant relation of the US spec cars. [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Are they selling any race parts?! [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
meshplate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2002, 09:22   #3
jjvincent
Veteran Member

Here is a site that you might find of some interest. There is information on TDI's but mostly for rallying. I bet you can buy any part you want as long as money is no object. Take a look at the cataloges and you'll probably find many interesting items. This team is basically running Group N Jettas. Even though the cars are not diesels they were able to get Gr. N parts (which are allowed by SCCA in WC). I bet they could get you some racing parts but it still comes down to the issue of money. If you have it you can get it.
jjvincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2002, 14:28   #4
tdi rs
Veteran Member

TDI(s): mk2 16v tdi

Guess where the info on which injectors to use in the Caddy came from? Me !! Simon Paine rang me via Bosch to find out which injectors are the biggest he can they can use.
tdi rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2002, 14:48   #5
meshplate

tdi rs,

so what are the biggest injectors we can use on US cars? We have only TDI 90s. They come with .184s. Do we need to add an 11mm pump to the mix?

Thanks
meshplate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2002, 15:45   #6
tdi rs
Veteran Member

TDI(s): mk2 16v tdi

The injectors i use are the T4 AHY/AXG 5 cylinder transporter Bosch number 0986430407 and 0986430408
tdi rs is offline   Reply With Quote