EA288 Used Oil Analysis

MrShip

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI DSG
After 3 months and ~15k km, it's time for my first service! :eek:
Followed DBW's break-in guide, and didn't have to add any oil; stayed right at the top of the dipstick the entire time! :)

Results are looking very good for 15k OCI!

Sunnyb

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW
That is an interesting report.

Last edited:

Sosin

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Volkswagen Golf TDI and 2014 Volkswagen Jetta TDI
So jealous that you were able to get your oil analysis at the recommended mileage. I took my MK7 in a few months ago with the Blackstone Kit and they totally forgot to fill the sample bottle. I was not happy to say the least. Well now I'm due for my 20,000 mile oil change so I'm gonna walk back there this time and watch then fill my sample bottle. I can't wait to post my results as I have also followed drivbiwires break in recommendations.

Ronnie

Sosin

Veteran Member
TDI
I have my oil analysis results but I am having trouble copy and pasting. Anybody have any suggestions? Every time I copy and past it looks all jumbled together.

Thanks

Ronnie

Sosin

Veteran Member
TDI
where are you trying to copy and paste from excel? If its an image you need to upload it to a site to host the image first.
No it wasn't excel. I was trying to copy and paste the report right from Blackstones sight. How do you upload it to a site to host the image?

Thanks

HSG

TDI
2015 Golf S 6MT
I'm looking on Blackstone's website, and they have a vacuum pump to pull oil through the dipstick tube thing. I'm not due for an oil change for quite some time, so i'm considering getting the pump and sending in a sample anyway.

Anyone know if there is there anything blocking access to the oil pan that would prevent me from getting an oil sample that way?

Jp71624

TDI
MkVII GSW
I'm not surprised to hear the oil last over the 10,100 mile interval that the vehicle is set at by VW. ~ 6 quarts is a lot of oil for a 2.0L vehicle (I suspect that the increase in oil capacity in newer vehicles along with requirements of higher grade oils are the reasons more vehicles are going over 10k OCIs in recent times).

I'm not sure where the dipstick tube enters the oil pan, but I would probably attempt pulling a sample there only after the vehicle had been driving a little bit. A vehicle that has been sitting idle might read modestly different results in a few areas if you sample from different "layers" of the oil, as heavier particulates will likely collect at the bottom, lighter fluids (gas) might be more at the top, etc.

I've been under the impression that the best reading would be from a vehicle that was driven very reasonably up to operating temperature and then parked. After allowing to cool for a short period, you would drain the oil, count 5 seconds, and then start catching the oil. If I remember correctly, this may have been in the instructions of a prior oil analysis.

Also, the higher quality, more Group IV+ oils used, the longer you'll be able to lengthen the OCI -- but filtration is really the key. I wouldn't be surprised if you changed the oil filter every 5k miles that you could get the OCI pretty close to 20k. A bypass setup on this vehicle would probably bring quite long intervals, in the spirit of what the larger diesel trucks have been doing for quite a while now.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

gmcjetpilot

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW TDI DSG Matalic Grey
Please educated me. I know what oil analysis is... it is used on airplanes
quite a bit, both jets and piston engine airplanes.

There are metals that indicated cam/lifter/bearing/piston/cylinder wear
or other issues that are abnormal. However....the education part is why
are you testing NEW CAR ENGINES?

I just don't expect my new CR engine to fail internally. How often has that
happened in a VW TDI. I think never on +2009 engines.

If still under warranty and you see elevated (something), you could get a
new engine out of VW if yours is failing. I think that scenario is slim to none.

What are we looking for on a VW TDI engine? Thanks.

Last edited:

MrShip

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI DSG
More for my own curiosity as well as for tracking into the long term (10+ years) :D

Here's the 2nd service interval results (29596km/18320miles). Dealer underfilled to just above min mark, caught 2k km later and added about 0.5L of oil...
No major consumption between service intervals, maybe 1-2mm difference on the dipstick. (Could just be me sampling it)

Last edited:

MrShip

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI DSG
About time for another service! (Is it bad I'm kind of excited for service time? :D)

Anyways, 44804km on the car now. Ignore the units in the report, they were mistyped as miles. Real units are km. Looks like the extra regens during the winter took a bit more of a toll on the oil vs. the summer/fall changes previously.

MrShip

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI DSG
60k Oil Results

Took some time to get the 60k sample sent out, but here it is! DSG results coming as soon as I can clean them up.

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta TDI/'15 Golf TDI
MrShip, make sure they know it's the EA288 2.0 as the universal averages will be different, and you'll have a better understanding where you stand in comparison. I had written them on my last analysis to make sure it was the correct motor. I'm running Mobil1 TDT, but have updated exhaust so do not have post injection to worry about. I do wonder just how much ash could possibly get into the DPF though if the car isn't burning much oil, as the TDT seems to do far better.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

MrShip

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI DSG
Thanks for the note! I'll send an email to get the EA288 averages. As for DPF ash loading here's where I currently am: 64747km - 15.7g. It's a linear trend so far; max limit according to VCDS is 80g. I'd estimate I'll be full around 330k km.

I'll post my current DPF data logs/graph when I do my 75k km service this weekend.

amitsekhon

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI,,,,,, 2010 X535D Diesel ,,,,,,,,,,,, 2002 Jetta manual TDI ALH (Sold)
My first oil Analysis report at 15000Kms.Little bit of oil dilution.Probably due to lots of regens (More frequent regens due to newer dieselgate software)and city driving.
I will be doing next oil change at 12000kms instead of VW recomended 15000kms.But after newer dieselgate software,VW should have updated their oil change interval notification too as we are having way more regens due to newer "fixed"software!!!
http://pics.tdiclub.com/showfull.php?photo=127942

Last edited:

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
owned: 96 B4V, 06 Golf, 12 NMS, 15 GSW
Your report looks good.Seems like most of it is hwy mileage on your car.I think that makes a big difference as few regens while driving on hwys.
Yes, I am basically all highway, and I see an active regen every 240 miles.

Your shorter trips definitely will contribute to a tad more wear and fuel dilution, as you mentioned. Nothing alarming in your report. I bet the iron and copper washes out significantly in your next report. Also, if you are all city and short trips, take a nice scenic hour long drive on the weekend to get the oil nice and hot once a week.

Last edited: