Mk7 Common issues and resolutions

Lockett

TDI
MKII Golf and V10 TDI
I went to the dealer service center and after talking to them I decided to wait until my first oil change to due anything about it. With warmer weather the rattle subsided somewhat and now it only shows up under heavier acceleration. I'm at 5500 miles currently and about to put another 600 miles on it this coming weekend. Since the rattle is still evolving and I should be close to 10000 miles service in about 2 months I am waiting until they take the car in then and let them look for the rattle source then.

Thank you for your response. I plan to do the same and address at the 10K service.... if I can tolerate the buzzing for two additional months! Currently at 6800 miles; I am learning to drive around the resonance.

If the wagon is offered in TDI, with 3 pedals, and 4motion my problem will be easily solved!

VW_TDi_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf-S TDi with DSG
Is the DSG suppose to lag from a start and sorta give it a tiny kick into 2nd gear? I just purchased a 2015 Golf TDi yesterday and I'm new to the DSG transmission.

andyrooski17

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE DSG
Is the DSG suppose to lag from a start and sorta give it a tiny kick into 2nd gear? I just purchased a 2015 Golf TDi yesterday and I'm new to the DSG transmission.
I'm not sure exactly what you mean by lag from start. The only delay I really notice is if I have my foot fully on the brake and then switch really quickly and jam on the accelerator. Even then, I can't say it's ever affected me in any driving situation.

You'll notice that if you release some but not all of the pressure on the brake, it will kick into first from idle, and then be ready to go when you get to the accelerator. So it's definitely trying to guess what you might be up to when stopped.

As for the kick into 2nd...It definitely doesn't stay in first for very long in standard D mode, so I guess if you are accelerating quickly, it feels like a kick.

I'd give yourself time to get used to the way it shifts, I bet it will all become second nature after a few days. What I can't say is how any of this compares to driving the manual version, where obviously any delay is (mostly) your own creation.

Another tip for when you use manual mode: The upshifts are very quick, especially when accelerating sequentially, but I usually find that i need to anticipate and click the paddle a little earlier when going from 1st to 2nd. The combination of the slight delay and the very quickly increasing RPMs in 1st mean that if I wait until it feels "natural" (based on my instincts coming from a manual car), the shift ends up happening at higher revs than I wanted. Part of this could also be that my old Civic Si was much happier shifting at higher revs, so YMMV.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Don't even have to "wait"
Just turn the key, when the glow plugs have done their job, then, and only then, will the starter start.

Another joy of having the computers control everything.

Howard Garner
Not sure I follow your comments. I'm on my third VW diesel and all will crank without waiting for the glow plugs to run their course, even below zero F. You get in, turn the key and she starts cranking. As I understand it, the new keyless systems will wait for the glow plugs to turn off before cranking.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Yes, the DSG has a little hesitation from the start. That's the nature of the beast, as it's basically an automated manual transmission, and it has to anticipate when and how quickly to engage the clutch based on the driver's changes to accelerator position. The DSG takes about two weeks to really get used to, especially if you're coming from a conventional automatic.

ses310

TDI
2015 Golf TDI S
Not sure I follow your comments. I'm on my third VW diesel and all will crank without waiting for the glow plugs to run their course, even below zero F. You get in, turn the key and she starts cranking. As I understand it, the new keyless systems will wait for the glow plugs to turn off before cranking.
Key ignition works the same way. It won't crank until the glow plugs cycle. Only takes a couple of seconds, even when it's zero out.

ses310

TDI
2015 Golf TDI S
As already mentioned, normal operation. If I need to take off quickly, I put it in sport mode. It takes right off.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Key ignition works the same way. It won't crank until the glow plugs cycle. Only takes a couple of seconds, even when it's zero out.
Must be a new "safety" step VW put in since 2011 models.

VW_TDi_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf-S TDi with DSG
I'm not sure exactly what you mean by lag from start. The only delay I really notice is if I have my foot fully on the brake and then switch really quickly and jam on the accelerator. Even then, I can't say it's ever affected me in any driving situation.

You'll notice that if you release some but not all of the pressure on the brake, it will kick into first from idle, and then be ready to go when you get to the accelerator. So it's definitely trying to guess what you might be up to when stopped.

As for the kick into 2nd...It definitely doesn't stay in first for very long in standard D mode, so I guess if you are accelerating quickly, it feels like a kick.

I'd give yourself time to get used to the way it shifts, I bet it will all become second nature after a few days. What I can't say is how any of this compares to driving the manual version, where obviously any delay is (mostly) your own creation.

Another tip for when you use manual mode: The upshifts are very quick, especially when accelerating sequentially, but I usually find that i need to anticipate and click the paddle a little earlier when going from 1st to 2nd. The combination of the slight delay and the very quickly increasing RPMs in 1st mean that if I wait until it feels "natural" (based on my instincts coming from a manual car), the shift ends up happening at higher revs than I wanted. Part of this could also be that my old Civic Si was much happier shifting at higher revs, so YMMV.
I have close to 1000 miles now so I started accelerating quicker in sport mode just to get the feel for the car. When I downshift to 2nd the car feels like it has a torn engine mount and that's the kick I was referring too. I'm not sure if it's normal or not it does it even into 2nd gear. I may take it in to the dealer and have them inspect it even though they'll say everything is fine. The sales guy told me some prius owner test drove the car and loved it and couldnt keep his foot off the pedal... he told me this after I was ready to drive off the lot so I was hoping there wasn't any internal damage on such a low mileage abuse.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Are you rev matching your downshift to 2nd or just dragging/dumping the clutch?

skramer

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SE 6MT

Yep...Its annoying at times too, go to pull out into traffic and NOTHING. It was just one of the reason's I sold my A3 and moving into a 6MT GSW

MonsterTDI09

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta DSG/ up keep on 2009 Jetta DSG 2006 Jetta Pag 2 in North SEA Green
I have close to 1000 miles now so I started accelerating quicker in sport mode just to get the feel for the car. When I downshift to 2nd the car feels like it has a torn engine mount and that's the kick I was referring too. I'm not sure if it's normal or not it does it even into 2nd gear. I may take it in to the dealer and have them inspect it even though they'll say everything is fine. The sales guy told me some prius owner test drove the car and loved it and couldnt keep his foot off the pedal... he told me this after I was ready to drive off the lot so I was hoping there wasn't any internal damage on such a low mileage abuse.
With the DSG you can't just floor the go pedal. In manual mode it doesn't **** as fast as the computer does. It's rare I use manual mode.

JASONP

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Golf TDI Comfortline 6spd
Interesting observation today.
After performing an oil change on Saturday the car sat the rest of the weekend till today when I went to work.
During the time the oil change reminder was on not once did I notice a regeneration but within the first 10 km of driving the process started and took about 15 minutes.
Is it possible the request for regeneration is disabled while the oil change is active to prevent further degradation of the oil?
I did see in group 09 with vcds that the oil condition is monitored as showed poor quality prior to the oil change.

No More Buffalo

Veteran Member
TDI
Current: 2015 Golf SEL 6m Sold: 2012 Golf 2dr DSG
Don't really see why that would happen...the regen happens in the DPF, not the engine. The oil shouldn't be involved at all.

VW_TDi_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf-S TDi with DSG
When you're reversing on a uphill, you can feel the transmission chattering through the pedal especially when it's warm or even cold. It also has a strange "kick" at a low speed/low rpm operation when you put your foot on gas pedal and it feels very similar to a torn engine mount. All gears down-shift smoothly when its being operated in manual mode to help the vehicle slow down on a decline road except for 2nd gear which also has a strange unpleasant "kick" and a similar feeling to a torn engine mount. I'm taking the car to the dealer this coming weekend. Ill keep everyone posted I hope it's something minor & nothing major.

Caseyb476

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SE 6spd man
Don't really see why that would happen...the regen happens in the DPF, not the engine. The oil shouldn't be involved at all.
I can't find the EA288 diagrams. After leaving the engine, does the exhaust go through the turbo or DPF first?

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Since the flash point of diesel is higher than gasoline, wouldn't a diesel engine run hotter?

Caseyb476

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SE 6spd man
Since the flash point of diesel is higher than gasoline, wouldn't a diesel engine run hotter?
Not exactly. Flash point is a little different, but possibly points to an inverse relationship. For example, gasoline fumes can ignite from a match, and the result is a huge flame that is far hotter than the initial match. Diesel will not do this. But I am not a chemist, so I am just speculating.

In more laymen's terms, think about how long it takes for a diesel engine to warm up compared to a gas engine. This is largely due to the lack of heat they produce.

Additionally, gasoline engines generally don't use VNT style turbos, because the extra heat from a gas engine makes VNT unreliable. Diesels can generally get away with them because they run cooler.

TDI BR

Veteran Member
TDI
Black 2015 Golf TDI SE manual
Earlier in this thread some guys were talking about a rattling noise while driving. I have this too... I was wondering if anyone found a cause/solution to this. It's been driving me nuts for months

Caseyb476

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SE 6spd man
Earlier in this thread some guys were talking about a rattling noise while driving. I have this too... I was wondering if anyone found a cause/solution to this. It's been driving me nuts for months
I had/have a small issue with the power seat switch on the passenger seat. If I press it in, it goes away. But I barely notice it.

JASONP

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Golf TDI Comfortline 6spd
I think you're talking about the fuel line rattle underneath the drivers side seat on the exterior of the car.

hankster88

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 MK7 Golf TDI S 6M-Sold
Also if you believe it is inside the car and have power seats, NHTSA has a Bulletin about improperly routed wiring harness under the drivers seat. That might be a place to look.